Gtx 1060 6gb or Rx 580 8gb

Eshaan
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Performance is better than the GTX 1060, so it depends on what is cheaper.

I know the Rx 580 came out a few hours ago, performance doesn't seem that great, so what should I do? Will it improve with updates or is the 1060 a better buy? Please give your opinions thanks :)

I would go for the 580. The 480 was my preference, and since the 580 is just a 480 with better clocks...

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

7 minutes ago, Taja said:

I would go for the 580. The 480 was my preference, and since the 580 is just a 480 with better clocks...

I was planning on getting 480 but I waited for 580 but it still seems that 1060 is more power efficient and better performing

Just now, Eshaan said:

I was planning on getting 480 but I waited for 580 but it still seems that 1060 is more power efficient and better performing

Not really, they are equivalent. It depends more on the game, optmisation, API...

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

feel like nvidia updates there stuff prior to a game coming out and with ATi cards or AMD cards rather you are waiting a little longer for updates. I also feel like the nvidia cards perform better than the ATi cards.

24 minutes ago, FTL said:

Same price 480 and 1060 here

7 minutes ago, Taja said:

Not really, they are equivalent. It depends more on the game, optmisation, API...

True

5 minutes ago, HUSKER222 said:

feel like nvidia updates there stuff prior to a game coming out and with ATi cards or AMD cards rather you are waiting a little longer for updates. I also feel like the nvidia cards perform better than the ATi cards.

Same, but I really don't want to make the wrong choice xD

4 minutes ago, Eshaan said:

Same, but I really don't want to make the wrong choice xD

I'd say save a couple more and go for a GTX 1070 or a Vega equivalent later on.

Looking at the benchmarks these cards are only hitting a 60FPS goal. What about the next two years when new games come out? think about it.

I myself was planning on getting an RX 580, but the performance feels so-so. I'd rather wait for Vega or get a GTX 1070.

Also, even if you only have a 1080p monitor, what happens when you get a 4K monitor/TV with HDR? You'd have to dial down on the details which kinda sucks.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

5 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

I'd say save a couple more and go for a GTX 1070 or a Vega equivalent later on.

Looking at the benchmarks these cards are only hitting a 60FPS goal. What about the next two years when new games come out? think about it.

I myself was planning on getting an RX 580, but the performance feels so-so. I'd rather wait for Vega or get a GTX 1070.

Also, even if you only have a 1080p monitor, what happens when you get a 4K monitor/TV with HDR? You'd have to dial down on the details which kinda sucks.

Where I stay the 1070 is way more expensive and I have till next month to buy

8 minutes ago, Eshaan said:

Where I stay the 1070 is way more expensive and I have till next month to buy

I think you should wait a bit. Who knows, Nvidia might give a price drop to the GTX 1060s, and the RX 480s still perform roughly the same with the RX 580s. So if you see an RX 480 on sale I'd get that instead. Better yet, look for R9 Furys and Fury Xs out there if they're on sale, that's some GTX 1070 performance right there.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

19 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

I think you should wait a bit. Who knows, Nvidia might give a price drop to the GTX 1060s, and the RX 480s still perform roughly the same with the RX 580s. So if you see an RX 480 on sale I'd get that instead. Better yet, look for R9 Furys and Fury Xs out there if they're on sale, that's some GTX 1070 performance right there.

Okay cool then thanks for your advice 

RX 580 is better than 1060

"If you born poor ,it's not your mistake.

But if you die poor ,it's your mistake."

-Bill Gates