Will an AMD APU play BluRay movies?

Thanks

Anytime

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Yes it will be more than enough for blurays. As long as it supports hardware accelerated decoding (which all AMD APUs does) the CPU or GPU part doesn't really matter. Might struggle with 4K though, but if you're only planning on using up to 1080p then it will play anything you throw at it just fine (at least anything that's mainstream right now, HEVC might be an issue in the future).

I suggest you use MPC-HC for playback instead of powerDVD someone else suggested. No need to waste money on a media player when free (as in beer and freedom) media players are better.

Yes it will be more than enough for blurays. As long as it supports hardware accelerated decoding (which all AMD APUs does) the CPU or GPU part doesn't really matter. Might struggle with 4K though, but if you're only planning on using up to 1080p then it will play anything you throw at it just fine (at least anything that's mainstream right now, HEVC might be an issue in the future).

I suggest you use MPC-HC for playback instead of powerDVD someone else suggested. No need to waste money on a media player when free (as in beer and freedom) media players are better.

MPC-HC.....not one I've heard of thanks I'll check it out. And if it's free that got to be a bonus. I'm assuming it plays BluRay's

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

*** Headset - ROG Vulcan ANC

What OS would you be using? No version of Windows has built in Blu-Ray playing features so if you plan on making a HTPC with blu-ray all from a remote it may be better to get a blu-ray player.

Honestly I ended up going with a stand alone blu-ray dvd player. My parents couldn't figure out the Windows HTPC.

Will be fine ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

MPC-HC.....not one I've heard of thanks I'll check it out. And if it's free that got to be a bonus. I'm assuming it plays BluRay's

I don't have a bluray player in my computer so I can't test if it works out of the box. I googled it quickly and it seems like CCCP (MPC-HC + a few filters and other addons for MPC-HC) can play it out of the box. You could also use VLC.

Yes, but I suggest waiting for the new APUs in January of 2014. These will get a huge performance boost from what we have seen and heard.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Yes, but I suggest waiting for the new APUs in January of 2014. These will get a huge performance boost from what we have seen and heard.

he won't need the performance boost ... an a10 5800k should be good for about 10 years as an htpc (not considering running new games) when 4k comes it would do just fine ... heck my tablet plays 4k just fine and it's a cheapo chinese tablet 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

It is just going to be for DVDs, bluerays and browser games etc. My mum isn't going to be playing BF4 on 4K ultra settings. Although that would be funny and she'd probably be better than me!! I'm rubbish on multiplayer lol

*** CPU - i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz *** MB - Asus Maximus V Gene *** RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1600MHz *** GPU - Asus Direct CUII AMD Radeon HD 7870 *** Case - Corsair Obsidian 350D *** OS SSD120GB OCZ

*** Storage - 500GB WD Black (Gaming Drive), 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage) *** PSU - OCZ ZX 1000W *** CPU Cooler - Cooler Master V6 GT *** Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 *** Mouse - Corsair Vengeance K65

*** Headset - ROG Vulcan ANC

If you want it for Christmas, ask for "help" to buy the next gen in January? ;)

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?