Sony's new PlayStation 4 and open-source FreeBSD: THE TRUTH

Ethnod

So Sony have confirmed that the PlayStation 4 uses modified version of the open-source FreeBSD operating system, this was confirmed on their Japanese website, on a licence page (found here if your interested) on their Japanese website. The OS is called Orbis OS, which is well known at this stage, but the confirmation of it being a FreeBSD based OS has now gone from rumoured to confirmed. 

The potential for this great if its actually modable we might start seeing moded PS4's with functionality that users actually want, which would be nice, but also for me it does inspire a little confidence as FreeBSD is quite an efficient OS (being based off UNIX) which bodes well for the over all performance of the PS4

Source:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/16/sony_playstation_4_kernel/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Interesting article. Might have a close look on the modding community for this.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I thought this was confirmed long ago, I'd even made a video on it when I was comparing the two consoles on Youtube... Oh well, lucky I was right then :P

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

we always knew the ps4 was based on BSD

early pics of dev units  proved that

ps3 is also believed to be based of freebsd

read here

http://www.skfu.xxx/2009/05/ps3-os-cell-os-modified-darwin-possible.html

i believe one of the main reasons sony uses BSD is because freeBSD is under the BSD license not under the GPL license like linux  which works in their favor

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

we always knew the ps4 was based on BSD

early pics of dev units  proved that

ps3 is also believed to be based of freebsd

read here

http://www.skfu.xxx/2009/05/ps3-os-cell-os-modified-darwin-possible.html

i believe one of the main reasons sony uses BSD is because freeBSD is under the BSD license not under the GPL license like linux  which works in their favor

Yeah, no licensing fees and really it doesn't matter as long as it's decently optimised, robust and has a good UI. While MS have the advantage of Windows and its influence, Windows is far from a lightweight OS and some would argue it isn't very robust either :P

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670