Ikea desks?

Fungal

Finally able to buy a new desk that can actually fit both my 27 inch monitors as well as my pc. I was looking at this IKEA desk which looks really nice and has a lot of drawer space. Only problem is that I've never bought anything from Ikea. I know it's made of particle board so will it last me a few years? Is there anything I should be aware of or are there any better options for cheap.

Ikea stuff lasts fine under normal use. I have a shorter version of the desk you linked, and after a couple of year is showing no signs of wear. Not all the draws are flush with each other, but hey it's cheap. And if US Ikea is like UK Ikea, the components are available separately, so if you did break the top you could just buy a new top. 

i have the same tabletop, but with only four adjustable legs not the drawers. been using it for 2 years and it has served me very well. at one point i left my heavy PC on the table as well, no problems. 

18 hours ago, Fungal said:

Finally able to buy a new desk that can actually fit both my 27 inch monitors as well as my pc. I was looking at this IKEA desk which looks really nice and has a lot of drawer space. Only problem is that I've never bought anything from Ikea. I know it's made of particle board so will it last me a few years? Is there anything I should be aware of or are there any better options for cheap.

It will last you no problem, just don't smash anything hard into the top as it is a honeycomb structure inside, very light, strong and cheap to make, but it does not handle impacts. Beside that it should be no issue, I cannot recall the last time I got any of them back for a quality related defect that did not include not installing the center leg and putting a lot of weight on it (as it will bed at that point).

The ALEX units are quite functional and work well, again no issues I am aware of (and I would be). However as said above the drawers are not perfectly aligned, but fairly decent non the less, just don't put a ton of weight on them when extended they are not designed for that, but anything normal that fits inside should be more than fine.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

I have just purchased the exact desk that you are looking at. You can tell there not the highest quality but what do you expect for the price. With that said, I don't see myself ever having a problem with them with typical desk PC use.