Upgrading My Current PC

Hi there, this is my first post on the forums so forgive me for any mistakes that I make.

So Ive had my current (pre-built) pc for 2 years which is nearing the end of its 2 year warranty, and its served me well however it can barely run games at 30 fps on low settings so Im replacing/buying new parts for it.

Current PC specs:

• CPU:  AMD A10-6700
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR
  • Motherboard: Lenovo 10118 
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8670D
  • HDD: 1TB 7200 rpm Seagate
  • PSU: I think its 480w or something, cant remember, Ill check later

The main part I want to upgrade is my gpu, either to a gtx 1060 or rx 480 (ill probably go with 1060) however I worry that my motherboard and cpu might become a bottleneck for the new gpu so Im wondering whether I should also replace my cpu with a ryzen 5 1500x and my motherboard with a ryzen 5 compatible motherboard (feel free to reccomend any).

1050ti (doesnt need external power, should work using PCIE power only)

next upgrade should be replacing the computer as a whole, ryzen 1600 is a good cpu (6 cores, $240 iirc)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Go along with your CPU/mobo replacement idea, the A10 is pretty old at this point, and a bad bottleneck for anything over a GTX 750 Ti, IMO.

The MSI B350 Tomahawk is nice, from what I've heard. Pretty much any motherboard from a respectable vendor should be fine though.

You'll also need to upgrade your RAM to DDR4 after this.

2 minutes ago, aStupidName said:

Hi there, this is my first post on the forums so forgive me for any mistakes that I make.

So Ive had my current (pre-built) pc for 2 years which is nearing the end of its 2 year warranty, and its served me well however it can barely run games at 30 fps on low settings so Im replacing/buying new parts for it.

Current PC specs:

• CPU:  AMD A10-6700
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR
  • Motherboard: Lenovo 10118 
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8670D
  • HDD: 1TB 7200 rpm Seagate
  • PSU: I think its 480w or something, cant remember, Ill check later

The main part I want to upgrade is my gpu, either to a gtx 1060 or rx 480 (ill probably go with 1060) however I worry that my motherboard and cpu might become a bottleneck for the new gpu so Im wondering whether I should also replace my cpu with a ryzen 5 1500x and my motherboard with a ryzen 5 compatible motherboard (feel free to reccomend any).

that cpu is so weak, the prebuilt pc cases usually suck too as well as these PSUs. I would keep the HDD and build an entirely new system. My brother used to have a amd 780k which is basically an A10 without integrated graphics and it bottlenecked a decent amount with a gtx 960 that we had used back then. Maybe you wanna save a bit of money and get a new ryzen (dont know anything about them) or something like a i5 6600 with a H270/170 mobo and 2x4GB DDR3 and a gtx 1060

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

1050ti (doesnt need external power, should work using PCIE power only)

next upgrade should be replacing the computer as a whole, ryzen 1600 is a good cpu (6 cores, $240 iirc)

Is there a big difference in the 1050ti vs the 1060?

Do you have any suggestions on the motherboard?

1 minute ago, namandoesnotpanic said:

Go along with your CPU/mobo replacement idea, the A10 is pretty old at this point, and a bad bottleneck for anything over a GTX 750 Ti, IMO.

The MSI B350 Tomahawk is nice, from what I've heard. Pretty much any motherboard from a respectable vendor should be fine though.

You'll also need to upgrade your RAM to DDR4 after this.

yeah Ive just realised that about the RAM, im also looking for a relatively cheap-ish motherboard so anything under $80 - $70 is more preferable 

whats your budget? Right now the RX480 is the better performing card overall and cheaper than 1060. Also the RX470 is a lot better than the GTX 1050ti.

17 minutes ago, Shura said:

Right now the RX480 is the better performing card overall and cheaper than 1060.

Unrelated, but could you show a source for this? People say this but everywhere I look GTX 1060 is either equal or slightly better.

20 minutes ago, namandoesnotpanic said:

Unrelated, but could you show a source for this? People say this but everywhere I look GTX 1060 is either equal or slightly better.

Most Comparison videos made after the December Crimson driver update should give you a good idea on where the cards stand now. GTX1060 still does a bit better in some titles, while RX480 does better in others, its best price to performance. The RX480 is usually cheaper, 8GB ram, FreeSync(if you have a G-Sync monitor, you should be getting GTX), and better optimized for DX12 and Vulkan API.

In the past AMD had better support for their older hardware, whether that trend will continue or not is something we don't know but history indicates there is a good chance it will. Again, I'm not saying the RX480 wins every time, but in terms of price to performance, the RX480 is the better buy IMO.