Help with videocard on editing pc

Go to solution Solved by crzyces,

The 1070 will make a big difference in both as it will take more of the stress of your cpu. Why the cuda booster is enabled in 1070 and above I do not know, but it is, so in both Adobe and Autocad you will see acceleration (Not to a Quadro or Pro Dou (yes I know the pro duo does not use cuda, but Opencl which they developed and let NVidea use on the cheap) level, but it's there, where as in the 1060 it isn't). The gaming benefits are blatantly obvious, and for a $339 card, it's only $60 or so more than a 6 gig 1060.

Hi!

My current build died so it is time for a new editing rig.

The main purpose of this build is 4K video editing using adobe suite and some light gaming. I mainly use Premiere Pro and After Effects. I occasionally use Maya for 3D renders.

For CPU I have already decided on the Ryzen 7 1700 (feel free to tell me if you think this is not a good pick).

My main issue is the graphics card.

The GTX 1080 is going to be an overkill for sure? Then would I go for a GTX 1070, or rather for the 1060/RX 480 8GB and put the money saved towards a new monitor?

Thank you for help! If you need any more information let me know.

When do you plan on getting your parts?  also get the best video card that will fit in your budget. I assume you use a 4k panel so the 1080 would work well for that but the 1070 will work ok for now.  now if you have a bigger budget then that get a 1080ti or wait for the new AMD card to see if they have a better price to performance. 

Just now, ELSknutson said:

When do you plan on getting your parts?  also get the best video card that will fit in your budget. I assume you use a 4k panel so the 1080 would work well for that but the 1070 will work ok for now.  now if you have a bigger budget then that get a 1080ti or wait for the new AMD card to see if they have a better price to performance. 

editing gpu's arent the same as gaming gpu's

Monitor resolution doesn't matter at all

Id get a 1060 or 1070, you don't need that much gpu power when editing.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

editing gpu's arent the same as gaming gpu's

Monitor resolution doesn't matter at all

Id get a 1060 or 1070, you don't need that much gpu power when editing.

yes but if he is going to also game on the same 4k monitor that they are editing on the will need at least a 1070 if they dont want the FPS to dip 

9 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

yes but if he is going to also game on the same 4k monitor that they are editing on the will need at least a 1070 if they dont want the FPS to dip 

The main purpose of this build is 4K video editing using adobe suite and some light gaming.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I think it's probably better to get a high end gpu like a previous gen titan or 980 ti. More CUDA = more better? I think?

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Just now, Daveeede said:

I think it's probably better to get a high end gpu like a previous gen titan or 980 ti. More CUDA = more better? I think?

the amount of cuda cores doesn't matter, its the total performance of the gpu, which is effected by the speed of each core(so they have there own ipc per cuda core and then clock speed), and memory speed and bus width(and compression if it uses it).

Look at gaming benchmarks, that normally corellates to editing + rendering performance for whats faster, but for most programs, the gpu performance doesn't matter past around a 1060 or 1070 as shown here https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/GTX-1070-and-GTX-1080-Premiere-Pro-Performance-810/

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the amount of cuda cores doesn't matter, its the total performance of the gpu, which is effected by the speed of each core(so they have there own ipc per cuda core and then clock speed), and memory speed and bus width(and compression if it uses it).

Look at gaming benchmarks, that normally corellates to editing + rendering performance for whats faster, but for most programs, the gpu performance doesn't matter past around a 1060 or 1070 as shown here https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/GTX-1070-and-GTX-1080-Premiere-Pro-Performance-810/

Good to know, thanks!

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

How often are you using Maya? Obviously a pro duo is out of the question, but is up there with NVidea's $1500+ cards. The r9 Fury would work better with Maya, much better, and with Premiere.But if it's light editing and gaming, you want at least the 1070 as the acceleration in the cuda cores will not be utilized with the Adobe tools with the 1060. I've been using 3DSMax, Maya, PSCS, various other ray tracing programs, along with Fireworks and numerous other vector based graphic programs for 15 years, so I'm pretty familiar with how the cards work with various programs.

42 minutes ago, spmvoss said:

Hi!

My current build died so it is time for a new editing rig.

The main purpose of this build is 4K video editing using adobe suite and some light gaming. I mainly use Premiere Pro and After Effects. I occasionally use Maya for 3D renders.

For CPU I have already decided on the Ryzen 7 1700 (feel free to tell me if you think this is not a good pick).

My main issue is the graphics card.

The GTX 1080 is going to be an overkill for sure? Then would I go for a GTX 1070, or rather for the 1060/RX 480 8GB and put the money saved towards a new monitor?

Thank you for help! If you need any more information let me know.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

Thank you everyone for your reply!

When do you plan on getting your parts?

somewhere around end June beginning July

yes but if he is going to also game on the same 4k monitor that they are editing on the will need at least a 1070 if they don't want the FPS to dip   

I do not care much for gaming at 4k, my current display is 1440p and I will be keeping that alongside a new 4K screen. So my gaming can be done on the 1440p panel.

How often are you using Maya? Obviously a pro duo is out of the question, but is up there with NVidea's $1500+ cards. The r9 Fury would work better with Maya, much better, and with Premiere. But if it's light editing and gaming, you want at least the 1070 as the acceleration in the cuda cores will not be utilized with the Adobe tools with the 1060. I've been using 3DSMax, Maya, PSCS, various other ray tracing programs, along with Fireworks and numerous other vector based graphic programs for 15 years, so I'm pretty familiar with how the cards work with various programs.

Maya is really quite occasional, I'd say 80% editing, 15% gaming, 3-4% Maya/CAD. So if the total render time in Maya is a bit higher I don't mind a lot. It is mainly the previews in adobe I'd like to be quick.

So bottom line I see the main thing is either 1060/1070, where 1070 will not necessarily boost my editing speed but mostly benefit me in the gaming?

The 1070 will make a big difference in both as it will take more of the stress of your cpu. Why the cuda booster is enabled in 1070 and above I do not know, but it is, so in both Adobe and Autocad you will see acceleration (Not to a Quadro or Pro Dou (yes I know the pro duo does not use cuda, but Opencl which they developed and let NVidea use on the cheap) level, but it's there, where as in the 1060 it isn't). The gaming benefits are blatantly obvious, and for a $339 card, it's only $60 or so more than a 6 gig 1060.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

1 hour ago, crzyces said:

Okay cheers that makes a lot of sense, the CUDA will definitely bring a benefit to the GPU acceleration then. The 1070 it is