Active Directory for the domain controller for the domain "name.com" could not be contacted error

Go to solution Solved by brwainer,

1 minute ago, Shammikit said:

both vms are running parallel in my laptop. These are the settings of the 2 VMs:

win10.PNG

server.PNG

Well..... The problem is plain as day to me - that first screenshot says "host-only" - that litreally means it can only talk to the host OS, not to any other VM nor to the rest of your network. I'm guessing you intend that to be connected to the same "virtual switch" as the other VM? If that's the case, then you need to change that to VMNet8 like the other one is.

i have created a domain controller in my windows server 2012 which is running in a virtual machine through VM ware. I also have windows 10 running in a virtual machine through vm ware. i have tried to put the domain name that i created on server for the windows 10 computer so that i can use the user logins i have created there but i get this error: Active Directory for the domain controller for the domain "name.com" could not be contacted error. what can be the problem? this worked fine when i tried in my university computer but not in my home pc 

Most likely issues with the network configuration of the VMs. Can they ping each other?

57 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Most likely issues with the network configuration of the VMs. Can they ping each other?

no. i have read some other forums where they tell u to check ip addresses,but in my case i think they are fine.

my server has:

ip address:192.168.10.2

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

windows 10 has:

ip address: 192.168.10.3

28 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

no. i have read some other forums where they tell u to check ip addresses,but in my case i think they are fine.

my server has:

windows 10 has:

did you ping the machines and did it go through or drop the packets?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

But can they ping each other? Depending on your setup, you might need to configure the network adapter in VMware. 

32 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

my server has:

windows 10 has:

you responded to the question " Can they ping each other?" with "no" - if the computers can't ping each other (assuming that ICMP is allowed in the Windows Firewall - its blocked by default but there is a premade rule for it you can enable) then you have a connectivity issue that you need to resolve.

Once that is fixed, is the domain server running the DNS role? In the DNS server application, do you see the active directory entries? (things like _msdcs in the root of the domain)? Are the computers set to use this server for DNS, and can they resolve both external hostnames as well as "name.com" in nslookup?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

8 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

did you ping the machines and did it go through or drop the packets?

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But can they ping each other? Depending on your setup, you might need to configure the network adapter in VMware. 

this is what i get  when i try to ping from my server to windows 10.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

something is not right in your LAN config, I have only used Hyper-V and in that I would set a virtual switch as internal LAN and have the machines get a IP from the DHCP server in the virtual switch.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, Shammikit said:

Capture.PNG

So you're going to have to fix that issue. First make sure that ICMP is allowed in the Windows Firewall on the server, and if it is, then you will have to TS your networking issue.

Are both VMs connected to the same virtual networking device in VMWare? What settings are set in that virtual network device?

6 minutes ago, brwainer said:

you responded to the question " Can they ping each other?" with "no" - if the computers can't ping each other (assuming that ICMP is allowed in the Windows Firewall - its blocked by default but there is a premade rule for it you can enable) then you have a connectivity issue that you need to resolve.

Once that is fixed, is the domain server running the DNS role? In the DNS server application, do you see the active directory entries? (things like _msdcs in the root of the domain)? Are the computers set to use this server for DNS, and can they resolve both external hostnames as well as "name.com" in nslookup?

i disabled the firewall to see if it works after that but it didnt. and yes there is a thing called _msdcs but its  DNSSEC is shown as not signed.im not sure what that meanss however.i have put  the ip address of the server as preffered DNS of windows 10.

4 minutes ago, brwainer said:

So you're going to have to fix that issue. First make sure that ICMP is allowed in the Windows Firewall on the server, and if it is, then you will have to TS your networking issue.

Are both VMs connected to the same virtual networking device in VMWare? What settings are set in that virtual network device?

both vms are running parallel in my laptop. These are the settings of the 2 VMs:

win10.PNG

server.PNG

win10.PNG

server.PNG

Well..... The problem is plain as day to me - that first screenshot says "host-only" - that litreally means it can only talk to the host OS, not to any other VM nor to the rest of your network. I'm guessing you intend that to be connected to the same "virtual switch" as the other VM? If that's the case, then you need to change that to VMNet8 like the other one is.

5 hours ago, brwainer said:

Thanks for the tip.when i changed network adapters to VMNET2 in VMware for both operating systems i was able to put the domain.