• Could use some improvements, but not bad for a noob
    • Meh, 50/50
    • Lame
    • Worst I've seen
    • Leave the Internet
    • No comments, but thanks for the Ene GIF -3-
    • Better than Mac LUL

Hello LTT community!

I'm a 3D Animation & CGI student about to start his final year (if nothing goes wrong).  
The final year will involve the creation of a 30sec to 2min rendered movie (Using Renderman, Mental Ray or Unreal Engine 4, etc...)  
I'll be using programs such as Autodesk Maya, Blender and the Adobe product lineup (Mainly Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Audition) 
Even though I have access to pretty powerful school 3D computers, I want to get a new build in order to work home at 3 am with a cup of coffee beside me... 

So tl;dr, I plan to build a 3D centric productivity desktop (gaming too since I still game, hue).   
Here's a PCPartPicker to give an idea of my planned build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XqwxCy 

*Sidenote: Purchased items are the optional stuff I'm considering* 

My aimed budget is around $2k CAD for the computer parts (CPU, Cooler, Mobo, RAM, PSU, Storage, GPU and case), but I can be a little liberal. ;) 

The spoiler below is an opinion/argument of my own for each component (then again, I'm a noob...so maybe I should just shut my mouth, but whatever).  

Spoiler

CPU - AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor 

With the launch of AMD's RYZEN 7, I saw an incredible opportunity for a user like me that benefits from high core counts without breaking the bank.  

I'm still debating between the 3 RYZEN 7s, so I would like an opinion between the 1700, 1700X and 1800X for my 3D productivity build.  

Cooler - Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 

The bigger the better ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It'll be mounted in front of the P400s, but if I want to save some dough, I'll get a 120mm and mount it on the back of the P400s.  

I would also like to know which radiator position gives an optimal overall temperature of the components.  How different radiator positions affect the GPU and CPU, basically. 

Motherboard - Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard

Gonna be honest, chose this mobo for the RGBs LUL

I've also heard from a friend that he's very happy with his Asus X99 board. 

I can go cheaper on the mobo if necessary.  

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory 

This RAM is part of the Viewer's Choice PC [March 2017] , so I was like: "Alright." 

Also, CAS 13?  Das kewl. 

SSD - ADATA XPG SX8000 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Looked at NCIX's SSD Buyer's Guide 2017 to help me get Sanic fast NVME M.2 SSD.  Getting fast access to data with this type of speed, such as cache, would be nice.  

GPU - Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card

It's white...and it was pretty cool looking, so yeah, I just took it.  

I sacrificed a GTX 1080 for a 1070 in order to get a better CPU while staying in my budget.  
I'm also flexible with the GPU and also debating between a reference vs a non-reference.  It will depend on the fan position, radiator cooler, ect.  

PSU - EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

I'm still really confused with PSU (Wattage, efficiency, ect).  So I'll need some help with that...

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400S Black/White Tempered Glass Special Edition 

An appealing case for the price.  Also special edition...because special edition...

I can go with the cheaper version P400 non-S with the normal window or other cases.  

So here are (possibly) some questions that I'm expecting from the pros: 

Spoiler

Do you plan to overclock?
Sure.  Although I'll be a total noob of OCing, getting extra power from my components would be nice.  

Why get a new build?

Acer Aspire M5802, next question. 
I also have an ASUS G74SX, but it's pretty old and I think it's about time that I upgrade from a 2nd gen i7.  

How many monitors are you gonna run with this build? 

Currently, the M5802 has the Acer H233H and a Samsung SyncMaster 793MB (Yeah...one of those) 
I would like to get an Ultrawide to use with the H233H (Considering the LG 29UM65 after seeing Linus's review

Do you need anything else (peripherals and such)? 

Like I said, an Ultrawide would be nice.
I can use my G700s Mouse, but a new keyboard would be nice (considering a backlit keyboard like the AZiO Levetron L70, but a programmable RGB one would be a plus).  
Also, yeah, a new copy of Windows 10 Home...

So yeah, I guess that's it.  

Feel free to ask me anything and I'm open to any suggestions!  

Thank you for your time!

P.S.: Here, have an Ene GIF. OwO 

==============================================

UPDATE - REVISION 1.0 (12:20 AM - 2017-04-06)

Thank you all for the feedbacks!  Here's an updated parts list from your opinions: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YtxnFd

In summary: 

Spoiler
  • The 1800x is replaced with the 1700 due to it's overclocking performance.  
  • The GTX 1080 is selected after saving from the CPU selection
  • Cooler is updated to Corsair's H100i v2 
  • Mobo is updated to the ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 (It actually took me a while to choose between the Fatal1ty K4 and the Killer SLI)
  • The Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB are now 3000MHz CAS 15 instead of the 2133MHz CAS 13 ones
  • PSU is updated to the SuperNOVA G2 
  • The P400s is now the Special Edition Black/Red to fit the color scheme (lol) (Although the DIYPC Silence-BK-Window was an interesting choice (2x External 5.25" Drive Bays, the built-in SD card reader, and the more liberal radiator placement (the price was just icing on the cake), the aggressive, but sleek look of the P400s and the RGB won me over.  From what I see however, the Silence-BK-Window, it looks like an extremely good budget case.)  

In the end, we saved $15.07!  (Woot Woo!) 

So yeah, that's the first revision.

Again, feedbacks would be nice.  Thanks!

P.S.: Another Ene GIF , lul. 

Better cooler and PSU.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I'd go down to a B350 motherboard and SATA SSD to get a GTX 1080, but it's your choice.

the PSU is meh quality, but it should provide enough wattage.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Hey your build is a lot similar to my!

I would get a better power supply like the EVGA 550w G2 or G3
I would also get a 3000mhz frequency RAM, for better performance.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($407.98 @ DirectCanada) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($124.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($199.95 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($319.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Zotac Premium Edition 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($104.79 @ Amazon Canada) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Mini Video Card  ($680.98 @ NCIX) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($123.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Other: Phanteks PH-EC416PSTG_BW Eclipse P400S Silent Edition with Tempered Glass, Black/White Cases  ($119.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $2082.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-05 20:39 EDT-0400

AsRock boards are the best boards for Ryzen. Update the UEFI to the newest when you receive it and you'll see boosts in performance.

Sorry for being $100 over, but you get better performance. You can overclock the spit out of 1700 to hit 1700x-1800x performance easy

idk

Good build, but definitely could use some improvements. If you are looking at 2,000 CAD, definitely don't go below 80+ gold efficiency in the PSU. Also, just to clarify, there won't only be a 256GB M.2, but also a 2TB WD Black drive? Your PCPartPicker list is conflicting with what you said earlier. :/

10 minutes ago, Nmistry09 said:

Good build, but definitely could use some improvements. If you are looking at 2,000 CAD, definitely don't go below 80+ gold efficiency in the PSU. Also, just to clarify, there won't only be a 256GB M.2, but also a 2TB WD Black drive? Your PCPartPicker list is conflicting with what you said earlier. :/

Yeah, I'm still not sure if I will get the WD Black since I could use the 750GB HDD from my M5802 and my daily external WD My Passport 1TB, but after thinking about it, I think it'll be useful for my archived works.  I never asked myself that I wanted more space for my internal storages since I judged that they were enough... :/ 

Better to buy a 1700 and OC, it has a very similar OC ceiling to an 1800X.  Better PSU and a GTX 1080 are also huge improvements over what you had.  

I suggest also  buying the ultrawide, 2 TB HDD and a K70/strafe RGB

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MJTsBP
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MJTsBP/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($124.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($103.95 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($329.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8000 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($134.99 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Mini Video Card  ($697.99 @ PC Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.98 @ NCIX) 
Other: Phanteks PH-EC416PSTG_BW Eclipse P400S Silent Edition with Tempered Glass, Black/White Cases  ($119.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $2054.86

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Nikko62 said:

Yeah, I'm still not sure if I will get the WD Black since I could use the 750GB HDD from my M5802 and my daily external WD My Passport 1TB, but after thinking about it, I think it'll be useful for my archived works.  I never asked myself that I wanted more space for my internal storages since I judged that they were enough... :/ 

Just go without it at first and if you find that  you need it buy it, if  not don't

21 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Storage: Zotac Premium Edition 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($104.79 @ Amazon Canada) 

That SSD is twice as expensive in Canada as in the U.S.  Holy crap!

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

1 minute ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

That SSD is twice as expensive in Canada as in the U.S.  Holy crap!

RIP Canadian money 

chrome_2017-04-05_21-05-16.png

Just now, Nikko62 said:

RIP Canadian money 

:( I want Aorus soo bad...

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

:( I want Aorus soo bad...

AUD and CAD are on par. 

We get worse prices

I feel your pain, friendo

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

We get worse prices

I imagine  you have similar supply issues.  The Canadian market is just so much smaller so we never get the "gaming" brands from gigabyte etc.  For Australia its shipping thats the issue though right?

Hey, that's a 2, not a 3 for your budget!  Well, then... Gimme a second.

Image result for you need to go home and rethink your life gif

Overall, I went slightly over budget, but I believe that 'tis justified.

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/93khxY
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/93khxY/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($183.00 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($269.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($114.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $158.98) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card  ($999.99 @ NCIX) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ NCIX) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($115.75 @ Vuugo) 
Monitor: LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $339.99) 
Keyboard: G.Skill RIPJAWS KM780 MX Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($119.20 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $3029.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-05 21:37 EDT-0400

Processor: This, when overclocked, is just as good as the rest of R7 lineup

Cooler:  this is the cheapest 240mm cooler, but if wanna save some dough, Noctua has some similarly-performing, less elegant, much uglier air coolers.

MB: I feel this represents the best value

Memory: Fast, relatively cheap, 32 Gigs

Storage:  Great SSD, although it can be downgraded to suit your monetary needs; I honestly don't know all too much about HDDs, but I vaguely recall at some point hearing that these're good, so I've no qualms with it

Video Card: Why not?  It fits in the budget, and is one heck of a beastly card (if you can't see yourself ever possibly using this many horseys, and want some savings, downgrade to a 1080 or 1070)

Case: Fits your stuff, looks nice, good reputation

Power Supply: Good ratings and reviews, has enough juice for ya, and is efficient

Monitor: It's what y'want, and any real upgrade massively increases price

Keyboard: Good keyboard (I have one, plus the reviews are very positive), but keyboards are subjective, so you do you

Actually, that is roughly in the same ballpark as your full build (peripherals, components, etc.), so if you're willing to spend that much, go for it.  I'll formulate a 2,000 CAD build, too, though.

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Alrighty then, I've redone my build, but without all the extras.  This'll be cheaper, and I'm not gonna explain my reasoning as much as last time -- I'm tired and wanna sleep.

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8CRZPs
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8CRZPs/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($74.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($183.00 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($114.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($61.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($696.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Case: DIYPC Silence-BK-Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $1844.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-05 22:29 EDT-0400

If you wanna get a bit more performance, while staying within 2,000 CAD, upgrade the cooler (although this is fine for your purposes), upgrade the HDD, possibly upgrade the SSD (this is about as good as you get without going NVME), or potentially upgrade the case.