Incompatible Headphones?

Go to solution Solved by Silentsoul,
2 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

Yeah they're both equally quiet, it was on the YouTube app & here are the headphone full specs: http://www.sony.com/electronics/in-ear-headphones/mdr-as200/specifications

Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it because their drivers are too high impedance?

Like I said, If the volume is really low I can only assume the drivers are being underpowered.

I have a s7 edge and I haven't really used any headphones on it personally aside from the included which sound okay. I do see a lot of forums about people complaining about the s7 volume with headphones.

As for a fix? I'm not sure. Potentially a nice pair of Bluetooth ones if you're into that.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-AS200 Active Sports Water Resistant headphones that I'd like to use with my S7 while jogging or doing yardwork. Yet them & a pair of Sony studio monitoring headphones I own sound extremely quiet when plugged into my Samsung Galaxy S7. Even when I max out the volume, it's nothing compared to how the earbuds that came with the phone sound. I've heard of root methods to increase a smartphones volume but I can't do that as I'm still under the 1 year warranty plan. They plug in all the way, only difference I see is both have only 2 rubber rings around the plug while the ones that came with my phone have 3.

1: Is this why & is there anything I can do about it without ruining em?

2: If not then for future reference, what are a good pair of in-ear earbuds + in-line mic that stay in but are also very comfortable for long hours for around but preferably under $100.00?

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

21 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

I have a pair of Sony MDR-AS200 Active Sports Water Resistant headphones that I'd like to use with my S7 while jogging or doing yardwork. Yet them & a pair of Sony studio monitoring headphones I own sound extremely quiet when plugged into my Samsung Galaxy S7. Even when I max out the volume, it's nothing compared to how the earbuds that came with the phone sound. I've heard of root methods to increase a smartphones volume but I can't do that as I'm still under the 1 year warranty plan. They plug in all the way, only difference I see is both have only 2 rubber rings around the plug while the ones that came with my phone have 3.

1: Is this why & is there anything I can do about it without ruining em?

2: If not then for future reference, what are a good pair of in-ear earbuds + in-line mic that stay in but are also very comfortable for long hours for around but preferably under $100.00?

A lot of times when headphones are quiet they are being underpowered. That doesn't make much sense for the MDR's but could be a potential reason why the studio monitors are low volume.

i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 1.37v | Asus Z490-E Strix | Asus Rtx 2080ti Strix | 16Gb Trident Z Rgb @ 3600MHz | Samsung 970 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w  | Corsair 500D | Celcius s36 /w ML Pro's

i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.31v | Asus Z370-A Prime | Asus Gtx 1080ti Strix | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | Samsung 850 Evo | Corsair TX 650W  | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i v2 /w SP-120's

17 minutes ago, Silentsoul said:

A lot of times when headphones are quiet they are being underpowered. That doesn't make much sense for the MDR's but could be a potential reason why the studio monitors are low volume.

Yeah they're both equally quiet, it was on the YouTube app & here are the headphone full specs: http://www.sony.com/electronics/in-ear-headphones/mdr-as200/specifications

Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it because their drivers are too high impedance?

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

2 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

Like I said, If the volume is really low I can only assume the drivers are being underpowered.

I have a s7 edge and I haven't really used any headphones on it personally aside from the included which sound okay. I do see a lot of forums about people complaining about the s7 volume with headphones.

As for a fix? I'm not sure. Potentially a nice pair of Bluetooth ones if you're into that.

i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 1.37v | Asus Z490-E Strix | Asus Rtx 2080ti Strix | 16Gb Trident Z Rgb @ 3600MHz | Samsung 970 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w  | Corsair 500D | Celcius s36 /w ML Pro's

i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.31v | Asus Z370-A Prime | Asus Gtx 1080ti Strix | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | Samsung 850 Evo | Corsair TX 650W  | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i v2 /w SP-120's

28 minutes ago, Silentsoul said:

I can only assume the drivers are being underpowered.

In fact there is insufficient gain. A phone should be able to power any earphone, which pretty much universally are low impedance, high sensitivity.

As to why the phone isn't providing enough gain, I have no idea. Maybe there is an app that can bypass the default phone audio stack and get at the hardware better or something.

32 minutes ago, Silentsoul said:

Ugh alright thanks, I'd probably sooner just try to find the smallest possible external amp hookup though.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

In fact there is insufficient gain. A phone should be able to power any earphone, which pretty much universally are low impedance, high sensitivity.

As to why the phone isn't providing enough gain, I have no idea. Maybe there is an app that can bypass the default phone audio stack and get at the hardware better or something.

I'll do some looking, thank you too.