New RX480 crashing PC

vikeyev

So last weekend I picked up a brand RX480, but my computer would crash every single time I played a game. After looking around online, everybody seemed to be mentioning not having a good enough PSU. Sure enough, after looking, I had a crappy ass 650 watt aerocool. So I bought myself a nice 650 watt Seasonic X series 80+ gold. Set it up today and decided to have a jam. No real problem playing any games at first. But, after cranking Doom to max graphics, after about 15 - 30 mins of playing, it keeps crashing my PC again. In the exact same way as well. All 3 monitors come up with a single colour and the mouse cursor is stuck in place. No noise, nothing will work, I have to hard reboot. This problem wasn't happening at all with my old HD 6970, so it is definitely related to this card.

I'm on the latest driver atm as well, so I'm really not sure what could be causing this issue. The other problem I'm having is with Radeon Settings. It keeps locking up, freezing and crashing. Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

CPU: AMD FX-6300

Memory: 8gb Gskills

Mobo: 990FXA-UD3

GPU: Gigabyte 8gb RX480

PSU: Seasonic 650 watt, X series 80+ Gold

2 Seagate HDD's

1 OCZ SSD

Samsung Blu-ray player

3 minutes ago, vikeyev said:

So last weekend I picked up a brand RX480, but my computer would crash every single time I played a game. After looking around online, everybody seemed to be mentioning not having a good enough PSU. Sure enough, after looking, I had a crappy ass 650 watt aerocool. So I bought myself a nice 650 watt Seasonic X series 80+ gold. Set it up today and decided to have a jam. No real problem playing any games at first. But, after cranking Doom to max graphics, after about 15 - 30 mins of playing, it keeps crashing my PC again. In the exact same way as well. All 3 monitors come up with a single colour and the mouse cursor is stuck in place. No noise, nothing will work, I have to hard reboot. This problem wasn't happening at all with my old HD 6970, so it is definitely related to this card.

I'm on the latest driver atm as well, so I'm really not sure what could be causing this issue. The other problem I'm having is with Radeon Settings. It keeps locking up, freezing and crashing. Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Aerocool isnt bad per say. you need more Wattage probably. without the rest of the specs we may never know.

Intel G4560

EVGA 1050Ti OC'd to 1895Mhz Core

4GB Avexir core series DDR4-2400Mhz

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

Just now, Johnathon said:

Aerocool isnt bad per say. you need more Wattage probably. without the rest of the specs we may never know.

Sorry forgot about it lol

2 Seagate HDD's

1 OCZ SSD

Samsung Blu-ray player

Sorry forgot about it lol

2 Seagate HDD's

1 OCZ SSD

Samsung Blu-ray player

System should only draw upwards of 400W. i would check for component damage before doing anything intensive on the box.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

power isn't the problem here because even a 450w psu would do the job.

Do you get a bluescreen? (Have you enabled the option?)

Just now, Teddy07 said:

option to get a bluescreen? u wot m8.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

Just now, Teddy07 said:

No, the 3 monitors just go a solid colour (each one a slightly different colour) and the computer locks up entirely. It's only begun happening since I installed my RX480.

2 minutes ago, Johnathon said:

System should only draw upwards of 400W. i would check for component damage before doing anything intensive on the box.

What specifically should I be looking for? The cables all seem to be fine.

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers with DDU?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

What specifically should I be looking for? The cables all seem to be fine.

check INSIDE the connectors for corrosion check your CPU Is not the issue run memtest check your harddisks with Speedfan S.M.A.R.T tests run the fuzzy donut of death on your GPU etc etc.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

18 minutes ago, Johnathon said:

No. His TDP shouldn't exceed 450W even after accounting for overclocking margins. He has one of the most solid power supplies money can buy, so I doubt it's a stability issue. I agree with the component damage diagnosis, unless it turns out to be software trouble.

OP- uninstall with Display Driver Uninstaller and roll back to older drivers; see if that helps.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

No. His TDP shouldn't exceed 450W even after accounting for overclocking margins. He has one of the most solid power supplies money can buy, so I doubt it's a stability issue. I agree with the component damage diagnosis, unless it turns out to be software trouble.

OP- uninstall with Display Driver Uninstaller and roll back to older drivers; see if that helps.

you missed half the conversation.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

I'll have to go to bed (got work at 6 in the morning). But I'll run those tests when I get home from work tommoz and then post back, cheers.

Just now, vikeyev said:

I'll have to go to bed (got work at 6 in the morning). But I'll run those tests when I get home from work tommoz and then post back, cheers.

KK. just dont run anything too intensive on the hardware until its all checked.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

2 hours ago, Johnathon said:

option to get a bluescreen? u wot m8.

You had to enable bluescreen in windows 7. Dont know about windows 10

18 hours ago, Johnathon said:

check INSIDE the connectors for corrosion check your CPU Is not the issue run memtest check your harddisks with Speedfan S.M.A.R.T tests run the fuzzy donut of death on your GPU etc etc.

I don't see any rust or corrosion on any of the cable connectors or ports. Memtest came up with nothing, but the S.M.A.R.T test for the HDD I was using came back with a 0% fitness and a number of errors so I'm transferring Doom and Furmark to my other HDD which passed the test fine. Will report back after I test it (Doom is an 80GB transfer).

Will try another PCIE slot if it still fails.

2 hours ago, vikeyev said:

I don't see any rust or corrosion on any of the cable connectors or ports. Memtest came up with nothing, but the S.M.A.R.T test for the HDD I was using came back with a 0% fitness and a number of errors so I'm transferring Doom and Furmark to my other HDD which passed the test fine. Will report back after I test it (Doom is an 80GB transfer).

Will try another PCIE slot if it still fails.

Yeah your Harddisk is a few thousand levels of done for. crashes seem to be related to drive if anything. replace it then rerun everything. i highly doubt its the new card. oh id also check drivers.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

8 minutes ago, Johnathon said:

Yeah your Harddisk is a few thousand levels of done for. crashes seem to be related to drive if anything. replace it then rerun everything. i highly doubt its the new card. oh id also check drivers.

I transferred it over to the other hard drive (I have the actual windows install running on my SSD, which is fine, but is only 60gb so all of my games are on the other drives). Took a VERY long time to transfer and even kept failing multiple times, so I think that drive is on it's last legs :'(. All of my games are installed on it too, so I hope I can transfer them all off without it dying on me x.x. Still crashed unfortunately, how do I roll back to a previous driver version?

1 minute ago, vikeyev said:

I transferred it over to the other hard drive (I have the actual windows install running on my SSD, which is fine, but is only 60gb so all of my games are on the other drives). Took a VERY long time to transfer and even kept failing multiple times, so I think that drive is on it's last legs :'(. All of my games are installed on it too, so I hope I can transfer them all off without it dying on me x.x. Still crashed unfortunately, how do I roll back to a previous driver version?

Go to AMD's website and get the older drivers from their download center. then go into Devices and drivers in windows, rightclick the device and uninstall drivers. then install the old drivers.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

Just now, Johnathon said:

Go to AMD's website and get the older drivers from their download center. then go into Devices and drivers in windows, rightclick the device and uninstall drivers. then install the old drivers.

Should I use DDU to uninstall my current drivers? Or is that not necessary?

Just now, vikeyev said:

Should I use DDU to uninstall my current drivers? Or is that not necessary?

Whichever method you prefer.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

2 hours ago, Johnathon said:

Whichever method you prefer.

Uninstalled with DDU, reinstalled drivers from back at the beginning of the year. Ran Furmark with Xtreme burn-in and Post-FX on 1080p for 10 minutes. Ran fine, only got to 81c. Jumped in a game, managed to play for 30 or so minutes with all graphics on max (lasted longer than it has before), but then it crashed again. I'm almost considering buying a new Mobo, CPU and ram just to rule out every bloody thing. Rather not have to if I can avoid it. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare mobo or cpu to test out, to see if they are the problem.

EDIT: Looking on the AMD forums this seems to be a relatively common problem, haven't found anyone with a solid fix though :(.

https://community.amd.com/search.jspa?facet=content&q=RX480 crash&sort=relevanceDesc

And now I'm getting a "Video Event Scheduler" or "handler" (or something like that) blue screen and my radeon drivers are crashing. I emailed AMD support and am still awaiting a reply. Have also tried asking on the AMD forums and the AMD subreddit, so far no dice. If I can't fix it by tomorrow, I'm just going to return it. Too much screwing around :/.

EDIT: AMD have recommended I update my BIOS (already done) and install all updates for windows and all of my drivers on my pc. Still updating windows now.