XzzDSA's 2014 Build Plans

XzzDSA

Just a thought on the motherboard/sound card combo.  The Maximus VI Formula has an excellent on board sound solution, not quite to what your card of choice is but very close and is a better overall motherboard than the pro, with the ability to water cool the VRM when you build your loop and it is much sexier.  You will probably save a little money getting this board and no sound card instead of the option above and end up with a better looking system.

The performance part, yes you are right . . Although that is not something I would need anyways. . I have a Rampage III Extreme and I hardly use 10% of the features atm.

BUT.

The actual reason I plan on using this motherboard (Will proberly be asus's next gen of motherboards to accomodate intels next gen.) is because of the colour theme.. Right now that board, and the UDH5 from gigabyte, are the only motherboards with a golden theme to them that looks good (asus maybe overdone a bit).

For the soundcard - I am looking to upgrade my whole audio setup, but not sure I want an external DAC yet.. Though I want to go away from onboard audio to make sure I have a sound processor which can proberly drive some truly entusiast grade headphones... This is kind of a look into the future and is also much a placeholder like alot of the other stuff is. (also it's gold too :D )

Though thanks for your feedback! I appriciate it :P

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

• 1 month later...

Updated the pricing a bit..

Having some troubles with my current rig and might end up buying a new GPU sooner than I expected... 
If you know anything about this stuff, please check it out here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/171966-gpu-failure/#entry2285864

- Cool right?

• 2 months later...

UPDATE
I've bought myself the new Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 from EVGA!
"EXCITED" thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/218034-upgrade-from-58706870-to-gtx-980-excited-d/

Anyways - I need to figure out what to go for first.. WC or new mobo and processor..
I've got my i7 930, and it have served me well - I have however, NOT used it to it's full potential - and have for the longst time had heating problems.
Not so much with the tj11 but with the cooler I've got (corsair i50 hydro).. I have to keep it at stock 2.8ghz :/

I want to see how far I can take the chip, (and board). But I'm worried it will bottleneck me too much any thoughts? :)

(Also I wont buy WC sooner than whenever EKWB got their 980 blocks in house.)

- Cool right?

Also, the gold theme is not going to happen. That's just something I've decided now.
I am looking however to do as clean a build as possible. - What I mean with this is SILVER.
Reason being that If i go with some silver themed components, I can make pretty much any colour match, and I can change it if I so desire.
The only board I really see with a proper clean look however, is the EVGA z97 classified board.
From there I can make it red, green, blue or whatever other color, and it will fit pretty well..

Or, I could got for a board like the ASUS Maximus VI Formula and then just go red?

Also, for PSU... Seasonic Platinum Series - 860W PSU sound cool? Or should I go for something a little bit cheaper like the Cooler Master V850?

- Cool right?

I think you CPU is good enough and would go water cooling as long as you buy a CPU block that will work with any processor at the top ranks now. After the new GPU you can further qualify if the CPU is good enough and if its not at least you'll already be water cooled to take it to the limits.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Heyo o/

Little update once again. So I recieved my 980.. actually I recieved it already on monday but have just been too lazy to post about it.

So far, man.. LOVE it - Though I have realised that I will never be able to use it to its full potential on 1080P 60hz.. Hence I'm wanting a 1440P 120hz+ monitor with g-sync (like the ROG SWIFT - just half the price).
Huuuuge improvements over the older AMD cards I've been running over the last few years. Not regredding my purchase one bit!

I've been tingering with some overclocking and so far have gotten it to a solid 1500Mhz no problem on stock cooler with a fast and dirty overclock. Nothing permanent though - Just wanting to see how far I can push it on the stock cooler. Whenever I get WC up and running, I'll do a proper OC, see how far I can REALLY push it and still keep the temps and noise down :)

I have to say, I'm suprised of how quiet it is on the referance cooler. With regular gaming the fan is still not loud at all. And even when pushing the fan to 100% at 3600RPM it still is NOTHING compared to my older 5870 matrix with a similar styled cooler.

And for those who are interrested, a small picture by picture unboxing of a referance GTX 980 from EVGA.. Nothing special really.

The box as it came:

cNSlfAB.png

The GPU box itself:

CXkiMGV.png

In the box:

Some very nice stickers than I'm OFCOURSRE going to be plastering all over my 800$ cabinet!  :rolleyes:

KxGzzmB.png

A poster that I do not really care about or know what is:
fWPu9df.png

Some adapters which is always nice to see:

tFzeF2s.png

Some note that tells you to go and download the latest drivers, which is positive I guess - aaaannd som advertisement.
jApSLBt.png

The all important documentation:

Ih8JoHG.png

Another badge which, is actually suprisingly solid, that I'll be putting on the very front of my cabinet!  :blink:  

eOgWXfi.png

And FINALY the beauty itself in all of it's glory:
R31tBNK.png

Another shot:
EiDNITk.png

Overall a very anti-climatic and not so special unboxing.. (It's a referance card so I guess this is what you get for 650$, but I digress.)

I'll be leaving you with this for no greater reason other than to hopefully keep you around:

d7BFiKB.png

yes, I actually ate that  ^_^

- Cool right?

Great update, nice pics and plenty of them but you can always add more for us unboxing voyeurs, what kind of cake was that?

Same CPU still? What happened with the possible upgrade?

Great update, nice pics and plenty of them but you can always add more for us unboxing voyeurs, what kind of cake was that?

Same CPU still? What happened with the possible upgrade?

Not much to show tbh :P

I'll get you a pic of the system as it is right now and I'll talk a little about what I'm thinking (like I havn't done that before, right?).

Ye, same CPU - Havn't fully decided on wether or not I should upgrade that or not, It seems like I don't need to upgrade it - it's running pretty well so far on 2.8 ghz.. And I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze alot more performance out of it once I get some WC on it.

But what do you mean with "The possible upgrade"? 

And for the cake:

Not sure, it sure tasted good though! :D

- Cool right?

But what do you mean with "The possible upgrade"? 

And for the cake:

Not sure, it sure tasted good though! :D

You were talking about a possible mobo/CPU upgrade or did I misread that? (maybe someone else).

You were talking about a possible mobo/CPU upgrade or did I misread that? (maybe someone else).

Yeah - I'm going to upgrade my mobo, cpu and ram at some point. I've just talked about how I'm not sure wether or not to do it now or later.

So far I haven't really felt that my CPU is bottlenecking (maybe a little in very cpu intensive games) but yeah - requires further testing...

I'm leaning towards buying WC in the next few weeks or so - Getting EVERYTHING (apart from bling stuff like pump covers, led's and the like.

- Cool right?

Opened a thread over here hoping to get some input on WC loop :)

- Cool right?

• 3 weeks later...

Alright... So I've received 95% of everything I need. One thing missing: Tubing.

The place I've bought the components from "coolerkit.dk" could not provide the tubing that I wanted, and had to find it somewhere else.
That somewhere ended up being germany, looked to have it in stock when I ordered it.

Just received a mail today though that they will not be able to ship before the 24th...

So I guess that's another week I'll have to wait - anyhow, when that time comes I'll do an overview of all the parts I've gotten... Maybe a video? What do you think? :)

- Cool right?

Alright... So I've received 95% of everything I need. One thing missing: Tubing.

The place I've bought the components from "coolerkit.dk" could not provide the tubing that I wanted, and had to find it somewhere else.

That somewhere ended up being germany, looked to have it in stock when I ordered it.

Just received a mail today though that they will not be able to ship before the 24th...

So I guess that's another week I'll have to wait - anyhow, when that time comes I'll do an overview of all the parts I've gotten... Maybe a video? What do you think? :)

Wooo Hooo! Plenty of pics as well ;) video should be nice as well, can't wait! ;)

Before and after pics/video from the same angle, for the true comparison.

go make a build log for this. I'm so excited to see how this goes. you better promise me mate.

Live your life like a dream.

Wooo Hooo! Plenty of pics as well ;) video should be nice as well, can't wait! ;)

Before and after pics/video from the same angle, for the true comparison.

I'll make sure to get that angle shot :)

Get some picture of all of the parts aswell.

And see if I can make a video or two - cool? :)

go make a build log for this. I'm so excited to see how this goes. you better promise me mate.

Well.... It's pretty much just a WC loop.. And I've got this thread anyways.. hmm.

- Cool right?

That's a link to the home page :mellow:

Fixed :D

- Cool right?