GPU Failure?

XzzDSA

So I was troubleshooting my ram... I've got 3x2 sticks.. but only got 4gb's for some reason..

I was pulling my ram in and out of the different slots to figure out if one of the were dead, i was restarting my pc several times in the boot-up stages.. But suddenly, it wouldn't go past the VGA boot, and now it's stock with my graphics card fan going nuts...

So I'm kind of afraid i might have burned my gpu by turning it on and off and not letting it cool?

Also, I realised I had my system powered when I was pulling ram ind and out (not on, just powered).

SPECS:

Intel core i7 930 2.8ghz

Asus Rampage III Extreme

Corsair Dominator 2000mhz 3x2gb

Asus MATRIX 5870 P

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

You should always turn off the PSU when you change things like RAM...

Leave the system for 30 minutes, with the PSU off, and after 30 minutes try to turn it on..

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

You should always turn off the PSU when you change things like RAM...

Leave the system for 30 minutes, with the PSU off, and after 30 minutes try to turn it on..

Yea i know - A couple of minutes not really thinking... Though I'm just not sure how this could've affected my gpu though, maybe shorted something out.

I've tried to switch PCI-E slots, still the same. I've tried my GPU in safe-mode, still the same.

Cleared C-mos, and even reset my whole mono by removing the battery, unfortunately nothing :/

If nothing else, this will give me an excuse to get a new GPU - I'm just not sure.

Tomorrow I will have the change to test my gpu in another rig, then I'll see what's wrong hopefully.

Might even be the MOBO that suffered :/

- Cool right?

...are you sure you're using a 64-bit os? Because if you aren't i have bad news for you...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yea i know - A couple of minutes not really thinking... Though I'm just not sure how this could've affected my gpu though, maybe shorted something out.

I've tried to switch PCI-E slots, still the same. I've tried my GPU in safe-mode, still the same.

Cleared C-mos, and even reset my whole mono by removing the battery, unfortunately nothing :/

If nothing else, this will give me an excuse to get a new GPU - I'm just not sure.

Tomorrow I will have the change to test my gpu in another rig, then I'll see what's wrong hopefully.

Might even be the MOBO that suffered :/

Yeah, can't figure out how you could have affected the GPU too...

Does your ASUS motherboard have a MemOK button? It might actually be the memory causing problems...

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

...are you sure you're using a 64-bit os? Because if you aren't i have bad news for you...

lol, ofc. I'm using 64-bit :)

- Cool right?

Does your ASUS motherboard have a MemOK button? It might actually be the memory causing problems...

It does, I haven't actually tried that... hmm Give me a minute

- Cool right?

Hmm.. Doesn't work :/

- Cool right?

Hmm.. Doesn't work :/

So it's not that either...

Does your CPU/Motherboard have integrated graphics?

No, this is the 1st gen i7

- Cool right?

And of course I lended out another one of my GPU's to a project a few weeks back -.- ......
I really could use that right now..

- Cool right?

Okay, a little update:

I tried out my GPU in my friends rig - same error.. So I suppose it's just time to switch out the card, at 3.5 years it have served me well, and I got it for an amazing price, so not much to worry about!

Right now I'm borrowing a 6870 from my friend until the 880 comes out.

I'm not sure how the GPU doesn't work, might be a bios error or something.. Seems weird that my card would burn out by this - If anyone have any clue to what could've caused my card to die, then please enlighten me.
(Also, it's not completly dead, because the cooling and lighting on it is working proberly.

- Cool right?