Gtx 1060 6gb or rx480 8gb with ryzen 5 1600x?

Go to solution Solved by tom_w141,

OP in recent Adored and HW unboxed videos it has been shown that (at least in tomb raider) that Ryzen works better with the RX480 in DX12 titles by a significant margin. This is likely a driver issue though and may only be relevant to that game. Now attention has been drawn to it NVidia might patch their driver but also bear in mind a lot of titles still use DX11 where team green remains king.

Conclusion:

Either play it safe and get the 1060 6GB or wait and see if any more testing is done on the RX480 with Ryzen.

Finally you could drop to the 1600 and overclock it to be the X model very easily as is done with 1700s easily achieving 1800X performance. This would save you money that would help buy a better 480/1060.

Hi I'm about to get ryzen 5 1600x as soon as it hits the market so I need a GPU for that but I'm not able to decide and I'm on a budget of ₹20,000 can anybody help me?

I asked at other places and people said that the gigabyte rx480 8gb is not good as their temperature gets higher than other cards and I live in India so the ambient temperature of my computer room will be higher than usual 

The RX 480 from Gigabyte is indeed not a great example.

There are better RX 480's out there, the XFX GTR for example is a very good one :P

Are there other RX 480 versions you can get that fits in your budget?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

20 minutes ago, Ansh Sharma said:

Hi I'm about to get ryzen 5 1600x as soon as it hits the market so I need a GPU for that but I'm not able to decide and I'm on a budget of ₹20,000 can anybody help me?

I asked at other places and people said that the gigabyte rx480 8gb is not good as their temperature gets higher than other cards and I live in India so the ambient temperature of my computer room will be higher than usual 

The two best RX 480's I know of are the ASUS STRIX and XFX GTR, out of the box the XFX GTR is better as the thermal compound actually works, but the STRIX has got a better cooler that works better with aftermarket thermal compound, but really it depends on how lucky you are with the silicon lottery for overclocking, for normal use any of them are good, the Gigabyte will ok for normal gaming use. 

Yours faithfully

28 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

The RX 480 from Gigabyte is indeed not a great example.

There are better RX 480's out there, the XFX GTR for example is a very good one :P

Are there other RX 480 versions you can get that fits in your budget?

They don't fit my budget ;_;

How about this one?

ASUS GeForce 6GB Dual-Fan OC Edition VR Ready Dual HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics

16 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The two best RX 480's I know of are the ASUS STRIX and XFX GTR, out of the box the XFX GTR is better as the thermal compound actually works, but the STRIX has got a better cooler that works better with aftermarket thermal compound, but really it depends on how lucky you are with the silicon lottery for overclocking, for normal use any of them are good, the Gigabyte will ok for normal gaming use. 

They both are above my budget line 

What are your views about this?

2 minutes ago, Ansh Sharma said:

They both are above my budget line 

What are your views about this?

I assume you mean the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB? It's a good GPU. but it trades blow with the RX 480 while usually costing a bit more, so while it's good, the Rx 480 is better for the price but either are very good options. I'd be a bit worried if a GTX 1060 is cheaper than an RX 480... I checked the store I usually buy from and the STRIX RX 480 is £8 cheaper than the Dual GTX 1060, so maybe the Indian(???) prices are fucked, 

Yours faithfully

OP in recent Adored and HW unboxed videos it has been shown that (at least in tomb raider) that Ryzen works better with the RX480 in DX12 titles by a significant margin. This is likely a driver issue though and may only be relevant to that game. Now attention has been drawn to it NVidia might patch their driver but also bear in mind a lot of titles still use DX11 where team green remains king.

Conclusion:

Either play it safe and get the 1060 6GB or wait and see if any more testing is done on the RX480 with Ryzen.

Finally you could drop to the 1600 and overclock it to be the X model very easily as is done with 1700s easily achieving 1800X performance. This would save you money that would help buy a better 480/1060.