A simple guide to fans.

EnergyEclipse

Hello everyone!

May I begin with addressing some misconceptions prone to arise upon posting of this thread:

Upon disagreement, or opposition of provided information, please, do not hesitate in contacting me in the form of thread quotation!

Information gathered in this thread will be regularly tailored as well as edited according to input from the community.

If deemed required, information sources will be listed beneath a sentence.

I thank you in advance, have a spectacular day!

Fan optimizations/measurements:

CFM:

Within most common accounts, total airflow movement per minute, by that of a fan, is measured in CFM, an acronym of 'Cubic Feet per Minute'. Thus, 10cfm = 10 cubic feet of air has been moved in a minute. 2500cfm = 2500 cubic feet of air, and so forth.

Fans which claim to have optimization for high airflow movement in result of providing a higher CFM rating, could feature less of a Static Air Pressure rating. So, usage in a more open, less restricted fan position, such as a airflow exhaust fan situated at the rear of a chassis will perform optimally to there promise.

Static Air Pressure, mm H20.

On the other hand however, typically found in fan specification listings, is a fan's ability to exert pressure, rated in 'mm H20'.

Source: https://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/Ag_poultry_Vent_03.pdf

As found with many heat exchangers [Radiators], if you desire to use a of fan on a radiator, this fan will require of a higher static air pressure rating, in order to be able to move adequate airflow through the fin arrays on them, as a lot of airflow restriction is met]. Or, may be better suited to use if positioned behind that of a hard drive cage, ect.

Further information on the matter:

Silent fan operation:

Increasing a fan's motor RPM will indeed increase CFM upon obvious grounds. Although, a faster RPM will increase upon noise. Therefore, a fans optimized for silent operation may sacrifice on high RPM levels for airflow, by reducing RPM levels to achieve less noise output. 

An example of this is found with Corsair's SP120 Quiet Edition fans, as well as  Corsair SP120 Performance Editions. These two fans are identical in construction. However, the SP120 Quiet Edition noticeably have a lower CFM rating & static air pressure than the SP120 Performance Editions, because of them having a lower maximum RPM, 1,450.

To add, fans using of Sleeve Bearings prefer of an vertical orientation due to certain components in them. Therefore, using of a fan which has a Sleeve Bearing in a horizontal location could degrade life span drastically, or could result in added noise from effects on the componentry frictions.

More information on bearings:

Spidget finners xD

I commonly hear people complaining of non-turbulent noise from stock cooler fans to which one simple reply is always given 'Purchase some new ones.'.

Please, don't.

(Referring to the sentence above in orange)

If this guide appears to difficult, or you require of further help, feel free to drop a question/recommendation below!

Thank you all for reading! If you wish for more information to be added, please say down below

My personal fan recommendation:

Auoker 33 White LED Grid 120mm fans.

Achieving exceptionally heavy duty fan bearings at only £5.66 maximum budget is most clearly doubted by a vast amount of manufacturers. But Auoker didn't think this way. Striving ahead of it's cheaply constructed companions, Auoker succeeds in claiming there promise of a 'Low-Noise Design'. Brilliant lubrication of the Hydraulic Bearings does in practise prevent undesired noise output, whilst allowing a smooth rotation. Furthermore, awesomely impressive illumination of the fan's blades develop evenly over the blades, with no fade towards the central motor.

Included out of some impossible fate in box, all corners are securely dampened of vibration introduction by cleanly cut white rubber anti vibration mounting holes. Backdraft from the blades never is an issue, with channel airflow similar to that of some of Noctua's NF-F12s, thus not compromising on there claim of 'Built-in Wind Blocker Frame'.

Specifications:

Weight: 115g
Fan Size: 120 * 120 * 25mm
Fan Speed: 1200RPM ¡À 10%
Air Volume: 53.02CFM
Air Pressure: 1.073mm-H20
Input Power: 3.6W
Operating Noise: 16bBA
Input Current: 0.3A
Input Voltage: DC12V

3-Pin Fan and 4-Pin Molex connectors for full compatibility.

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Here's an even simpler one since there's no need to read:

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

22 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Here's an even simpler one since there's no need to read:

TL;DW? Still have to watch

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

TL;DW? Still have to watch

Nothing you don't already know.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

26 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

as a lot of airflow restriction is me].

what. Sounds like bad translation copy + paste job lol

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

18 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

what. Sounds like bad translation copy + paste job lol

Hi!

May I provide my sincerest apologies for this mistake, it will be fixed immediately. Thank you for you input to this thread!

Information in this thread was gathered from multiple sources, then filtered into there simplistic forms, in order to prevent people from re-reading of something in which they have already read elsewhere.

Have an awesome day!

42 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Thank you massively for the provided information!

I shall feature of these in the main thread if found needed to support statements & quotes. 

Have a brilliant day!

Hello all again!

Is there anything in which you may like to see included in this guide as of now? I do feel as if I have missed quite the amount, although I suppose I shall leave the blanks to the community.

Thank you!

-EnergyEclipse

bump

bump

• 1 month later...

bump