Cant Get 2Gigabit working over two adapters

Inrix

I was able to get 2gigabit speeds recently when using two adapters connected to the same switch at home. I'm currently over at a friends place who now has the same setup (Two computers each with two 1gigabit connections to the switch) and am only getting 1gigabit for transfering a file between the two.... No matter what I do I cannot get it to utilise the entire connection, The server however does split the 1gigabit over two adapters, but the client pc does not.

Help?

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

38 minutes ago, Inrix said:

I was able to get 2gigabit speeds recently when using two adapters connected to the same switch at home. I'm currently over at a friends place who now has the same setup (Two computers each with two 1gigabit connections to the switch) and am only getting 1gigabit for transfering a file between the two.... No matter what I do I cannot get it to utilise the entire connection, The server however does split the 1gigabit over two adapters, but the client pc does not.

Help?

I think it's just a software thing, as Windows kinda just chooses the faster one and uses it. 

I'm not 100% this will work, but have you tried bridging the connections in Network and Sharing center?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just now, bob51zhang said:

I think it's just a software thing, as Windows kinda just chooses the faster one and uses it. 

I'm not 100% this will work, but have you tried bridging the connections in Network and Sharing center?

Yep, didnt work.... Beginning to think it could be something to do with the switch or something :/ Worked fine at my home network, didnt even need to setup anything really just plugged em in and got 2gigabit

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

Does the switch/router support link aggregation? Maybe yours at home does and your friends does not.

7 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

Does the switch/router support link aggregation? Maybe yours at home does and your friends does not.

The router is a Netgear D6300 and the switch is a Netgear Prosafe JGS516PE100AJS

At home im just using a Netgear D6200 and a random other modem as a second switch.

Ill try look into it but Imo both should support it....

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

I am also using a Netgear Prosafe at work, you have to configure link aggregation via the web interface, otherwise it wont work

Just now, Schakal_No1 said:

I am also using a Netgear Prosafe at work, you have to configure link aggregation via the web interface, otherwise it wont work

Mmk, Working on that now.... I just setup two LAG groups each with the two ports from each computer right? Do I need to configure teaming manually on the PC's sides then?

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

Typically using link aggregation you are limited to the max of each interface on a PC to PC transfer. The algorithm that separates traffic is often based on Source or Destination. As such it cannot split traffic between the same 2 hosts over both links. However if you had a 3rd computer you could transfer 1Gb to both at the same time, giving you the 2Gb speeds. The main reason for this is Link Aggregation was designed for Service Provider and Enterprise Networks where multiple clients would need to access one resource such as a server. This is a limitation of Ethernet, but some vendors such as Microsoft are creating ways around this. 

13 hours ago, Schakal_No1 said:

LAGG is not necessary for fast transfers.

13 hours ago, Inrix said:

Yep, didnt work.... Beginning to think it could be something to do with the switch or something :/ Worked fine at my home network, didnt even need to setup anything really just plugged em in and got 2gigabit

What you were probably experiencing at home was SMB 3.0 Multichannel. Ling Aggregation does not speed up 1 to 1 transfers. If you want to have faster than 1Gbps transfers, then both client and server need to have multiple gigabit links to the switch (duh), and both the client and server need to have SMB multichannel enabled through powershell.

My native language is C++