PCI vs PCIe sound cards

SomeGreekGuy

I'm looking into sound cards (low range, below 50 euros- live in Greece), but I see a price difference. I know that high-end companies still prefer PCI. Is there a difference in quality depending on the connector? I'd prefer a PCI card, as it's the last slot on my motherboard and I'd like to get it as far away from the motherboard as possible.

Code-name Nyx: R7-3800X w/ Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B | Sapphire RX 5600XT | Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout | 3TB NVMe Storage| Cooler Master NR200 | Kubuntu/Windows 11 | Xiaomi Mi Curved 34" | Keebwerk Mega | Logitech G602 | Audio Technica ATH-M40X| Edifier e25 Luna

same audio quality, just most pci cards will be a pain to find drivers for.

If you want to keep it from getting interference get a usb one, not a card.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

same audio quality, just most pci cards will be a pain to find drivers for.

If you want to keep it from getting interference get a usb one, not a card.

I'm asking because I'm considering the "Asus Xonar DG". From what I can see, they have drivers available.

Code-name Nyx: R7-3800X w/ Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B | Sapphire RX 5600XT | Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout | 3TB NVMe Storage| Cooler Master NR200 | Kubuntu/Windows 11 | Xiaomi Mi Curved 34" | Keebwerk Mega | Logitech G602 | Audio Technica ATH-M40X| Edifier e25 Luna

What you need one for ? Your MSI one will be as good as anything in your budget, If you doing streaming and want to invest more into it than something like a Focusrite 2i2 would be the best thing I could advise, M-Audio do make cheaper ones. 

if its just for gamers, again your built in one will be giving the same quality of most mid range cards. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Are you an audiophile? If not, don't waste your money on a sound card. Motherboards have great shielding these days, so it isn't really necessary. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, Not_Sean said:

What you need one for ? Your MSI one will be as good as anything in your budget, If you doing streaming and want to invest more into it than something like a Focusrite 2i2 would be the best thing I could advise, M-Audio do make cheaper ones. 

if its just for gamers, again your built in one will be giving the same quality of most mid range cards. 

At 138 euros not including shipping & handling, it is way out of my budget.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Are you an audiophile? If not, don't waste your money on a sound card. Motherboards have great shielding these days, so it isn't really necessary. 

I am (not to the extent as many of you are). I play music, and enjoy higher quality music.

Will a sound card in your opinion provide an audible boost in quality (at the price of below fifty euros)?

3 minutes ago, ky802008 said:

I am (not to the extent as many of you are). I play music, and enjoy higher quality music.

Will a sound card in your opinion provide an audible boost in quality (at the price of below fifty euros)?

you won't notice any difference.

2 minutes ago, ky802008 said:

Your MSI has a great sound card on it, Save your money, trust me when i say that. most of the PCI/e ones are just your internal one on a card. that's why there is such a massive price jump for the desktop ones and such. 

Rather spec the best headphones you can and that dual amp on your Soundcard will run them great. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

Your MSI has a great sound card on it, Save your money, trust me when i say that. most of the PCI/e ones are just your internal one on a card. that's why there is such a massive price jump for the desktop ones and such. 

Rather spec the best headphones you can and that dual amp on your Soundcard will run them great. 

Any good recommendations on headphones?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

budget?

100-120 max. Currently I have AKG K77 perception.

4 minutes ago, ky802008 said:

you pretty good with those if you find them comfortable and what not. AKG do make really good headphones. I'm a Sennheiser guy myself and went huge with the HD 598's and been loving them, but they not used on the PC. For gaming its ether the 429's and a Webcam or the Clouds. both I've found really decent. 

all about your budget, Best advice I can give which you already have is avoid gamer headphones as more often than not they bass heavy, Weight heavy, and have a terrible mic and speakers. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

8 minutes ago, ky802008 said:

Your headphones are great.What do you plan to do.Music prioduction?or are you just a audiophile

My life

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

you pretty good with those if you find them comfortable and what not. AKG do make really good headphones. I'm a Sennheiser guy myself and went huge with the HD 598's and been loving them, but they not used on the PC. For gaming its ether the 429's and a Webcam or the Clouds. both I've found really decent. 

all about your budget, Best advice I can give which you already have is avoid gamer headphones as more often than not they bass heavy, Weight heavy, and have a terrible mic and speakers. 

As you guessed I'm loving the AKGs, and I don't really mind the extra bass (I go out quite often to clubs, but recently I purchased the Alpine audio musicsafe Pros cause the music is too loud). But now I'm interested in a "gaming" headset.

21 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Are you an audiophile? If not, don't waste your money on a sound card.

18 minutes ago, ky802008 said:

That's not really how this works (to both of you)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Your headphones are great.What do you plan to do.Music prioduction?or are you just a audiophile

No music production. I'm thinking about either getting some different headphones cause the non breathable pads on the AKGs make my ears sweat like they're in a sauna, or else I'm interested in looking in a gaming headset.

Just now, spwath said:

That's not really how this works (to both of you)

???

2 minutes ago, ky802008 said:

No music production. I'm thinking about either getting some different headphones cause the non breathable pads on the AKGs make my ears sweat like they're in a sauna, or else I'm interested in looking in a gaming headset.

Just buy replacment earcups

My life

@ky802008 go get the Cloud II's and when i say bass heavy its not all cool like at the clubs, it distorts the mids and highs and makes for a really bad experience. At all costs avoid the Razer headsets, they are truely uncomfortable and the sound quality is just not worth it. 

You might still sweat in the clouds. Look around the 419 range for the open back versions. You will enjoy those a bit more 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

1 minute ago, ky802008 said:

???

To the first guy I quoted: There is not set definition of an audiophile, and audiophiles are not magical people that can hear differences other people cant.

To you: A sound card probably wont do anything better, compared to your good onboard. I would only start considering upgrading the motherboard when we are talking about $100+ dac's

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

@ky802008 go get the Cloud II's and when i say bass heavy its not all cool like at the clubs, it distorts the mids and highs and makes for a really bad experience. At all costs avoid the Razer headsets, they are truely uncomfortable and the sound quality is just not worth it. 

You might still sweat in the clouds. Look around the 419 range for the open back versions. You will enjoy those a bit more 

There are better audiophile headphones at that price. M20 and M30x

My life

Just now, spwath said:

To the first guy I quoted: There is not set definition of an audiophile, and audiophiles are not magical people that can hear differences other people cant.

To you: A sound card probably wont do anything better, compared to your good onboard. I would only start considering upgrading the motherboard when we are talking about $100+ dac's

Some pepole naturally do hear better then others.But most of its from practice

My life

11 minutes ago, Himommies said:

There are better audiophile headphones at that price. M20 and M30x

Better is a perspective, not saying mine are better or yours. I've only used the ATech stuff in studio and wasn't to impressed, but I couldn't tell you if they were high end or low end.

Senn, AKG, and ATech all make great and bad headphones. but all of their midranges one's will kick the stuffing out of more expensive "Gaming" ones. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

Better is a perspective, not saying mine are better or yours. I've only used the ATech stuff in studio and wasn't to impressed, but I couldn't tell you if they were high end or low end.

Senn, AKG, and ATech all make great and bad headphones. but all of their midranges one's will kick the stuffing out of more expensive "Gaming" ones. 

I haven't use headphones in a studio for a long time.I do evreything on Rokkits.So maybe my opnion would be a little dated.From what i remember they were much better then my Krakens

My life