Scottish Independence

Nexus

Yea, my phone upload is always 2 - 3 x better than my PC :(

whoo internets!

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Yea, my phone upload is always 2 - 3 x better than my PC :(

whoo internets!

Even in the marvelous tech-wonderland(/s) of Finland I suffer from the same :/ but I blame the copper

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Even in the marvelous tech-wonderland(/s) of Finland I suffer from the same :/ but I blame the copper

The worst thing is that we can tear up and replace the copper with fibre and replace the road, and have money left over from selling the copper :(

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Every time part of a country wants to become independent and it happens, bad things happen. Just look at Kosovo... 

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

The worst thing is that we can tear up and replace the copper with fibre and replace the road, and have money left over from selling the copper :(

That'd be just too good. Here we have to replace the road anyways because of the ground freezing and studded tires. But fortunately they're tearing the ditches open to hide the phone cables and some fiber has slipped simultaneously :)

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Every time part of a country wants to become independent and it happens, bad things happen. Just look at Kosovo... 

We're already a country in our own right, not just part of a country :P

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

We're already a country in our own right, not just part of a country :P

As were all the Yugoslavian "republics", but when Slovenia decided to get independent there was a war  :(

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Not necessarily. Just look at ex British Colonies such as Canada. Independence was achieved just fine. It does suck that many people world wide don't have the privilege of achieving the right to self govern through these means.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Sadly Linus doesn't.

Who cares? I know he's now a tech guru, but seriously. You still propably would throw trees further and drink more. Oi, cheer up boyo's...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Who cares? I know he's now a tech guru, but seriously. You still propably would throw trees further and drink more. Oi, cheer up boyo's...

I'll throw a log over his house!

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'll throw a log over his house!

Meanwhile+In+Scotland_14c986_4526953.png

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Seen that pic long time ago, but still make me go "lol". Bombarding Linus house with logs would make you somekind of Scottish terrorists :P

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Oh my god. NO.

Let's just rip apart what you said;

Scotland at the current moment does not have enough power to decide on Scotlands future.

Scotland would have a strong economy.

No more nuclear weapons within Scottish borders.

The ability to negotiate our own terms of entry into the EU (no abandoning our fishing rights in our waters).

• No, Scotland does not have very much power; but is devolution the answer? NO. Scotland is part of the UK. Not it's own country, therefore, you have to obey the same laws as we do in the UK. You have your own parliament that can enact laws of it's own. You have laws and rights that we in the UK would only dream of having (e.g: Free University); But I guess you are too busy being unappreciative of Britain being there for you.
  • Scotland would most certainly not have a strong economy. Yes, there is short term benefit; but the long-term problems that it will face are unprecedented. Scotland's economy has been doing terribly since the collapse of the steel industry. So NO, Scotland's economy will stagnate in the future and you guys will be in crippling debt (Britain will have to bail you out again). Besides the matter, more taxpayer money goes into Scotland than comes out so you guys will have to withstand vicious spending cuts. And there's more; Parliament will give you your fair share of the national debt, putting you about 150% of your GDP in debt... Good luck with that.
  • What's wrong with Nuclear weapons? But I get your point, if slight devolution goes ahead, you will not be allowed to have nuclear weapons in Scotland as it won't be a Nuclear power
  • And, The EU is a tough cookie... There is no way they are budging on anything like that. If Scotland wants to devolve, it will have to have the EU on it's side, not alienate it with fishing policies.

The idea of devolution makes me shudder like a dead baby on TV.

Edited by tomlambert01

Compatible with Windows 95

Oh my god. NO.

reasoning?

I'm up for it, mainly because we control about 1/4 of Europe's current renewable energy

Huh? Where did you read that? That is not true at all.

Scotland is producing about 6500MW of renewable energy, Portugal alone produces around 8000 and we are a pretty small country.

Regarding the topic, I don't think breaking off into separate countries really helps. We should be unifying, not breaking apart. I'm not informed in this subject though.

reasoning?

I just edited. Sorry.

Scotland is producing about 6500MW of renewable energy, Portugal alone produces around 8000 and we are a pretty small country.

Regarding the topic, I don't think breaking off into separate countries really helps. We should be unifying, not breaking apart. I'm not informed in this subject though.

He is not wrong. Its potential energy. Due to the licensing issues (Westminster controlled) its not being harnessed.

The seas around Scotland have the potential to provide us with a sustainable, renewable energy source with:

• Up to a 25% of Europe's titdal power and 10% of its wave power
  • Around 25% of the European offshore wind resource potential

source: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/marine/marineenergy

The seas around Scotland have the potential to provide us with a sustainable, renewable energy source with:

• Up to a 25% of Europe's titdal power and 1-% of its wave power

And good luck getting the investment for that. Scotland cares more for Whiskey power than Wind power

Epic burns

I'm now going to bed

What Nexus said :P

He is not wrong. Its potential energy. Due to the licensing issues (Westminster controlled) its not being harnessed.

source: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/marine/marineenergy

^ Just like that :D

Oh my god. NO.

Let's just rip apart what you said;

• No, Scotland does not have very much power; but is devolution the answer? NO. Scotland is part of the UK. Not it's own country, therefore, you have to obey the same laws as we do in the UK. You have your own parliament that can enact laws of it's own. You have laws and rights that we in the UK would only dream of having (e.g: Free University); But I guess you are too busy being unappreciative of Britain being there for you.
  • Scotland would most certainly not have a strong economy. Yes, there is short term benefit; but the long-term problems that it will face are unprecedented. Scotland's economy has been doing terribly since the collapse of the steel industry. So NO, Scotland's economy will stagnate in the future and you guys will be in crippling debt (Britain will have to bail you out again). Besides the matter, more taxpayer money goes into Scotland than comes out so you guys will have to withstand vicious spending cuts. And there's more; Parliament will give you your fair share of the national debt, putting you about 150% of your GDP in debt... Good luck with that.
  • What's wrong with Nuclear weapons? But I get your point, if slight devolution goes ahead, you will not be allowed to have nuclear weapons in Scotland as it won't be a Nuclear power
  • And, The EU is a tough cookie... There is no way they are budging on anything like that. If Scotland wants to devolve, it will have to have the EU on it's side, not alienate it with fishing policies.

The idea of devolution makes me shudder like a dead baby on TV.

And good luck getting the investment for that. Scotland cares more for Whiskey power than Wind power

Epic burns

1986d1332082574-pocketesn-quickly-get-in

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Epic burns

I'm now going to bed

Constructing long answer with supporting evidence. will edit when done.

EDIT:-

"No, Scotland does not have very much power; but is devolution the answer? NO. Scotland is part of the UK. Not it's own country, therefore, you have to obey the same laws as we do in the UK. You have your own parliament that can enact laws of it's own. You have laws and rights that we in the UK would only dream of having (e.g: Free University); But I guess you are too busy being unappreciative of Britain being there for you."

First. We do obey the same laws as the rest of the UK (ignoring Scots law that dates back pre union). Our parliament does enact some laws but as it stands at this moment the power the parliament has is significantly limited. Just look at the "bedroom tax" fiasco. Despite the Scottish Government objecting to it and the majority of Scottish MPs objecting to it still passed. This is causing serious problems here. Even in my own town we have seen the affects. There simply is not enough single bedroomed houses in Scotland to support the population. Why should people be taxed on this, its no their personal failing that has caused the situation. Yes we do have some befits such as free education, but that is funded by the Scottish Government through tax revenue generated in Scotland.

"Scotland would most certainly not have a strong economy. Yes, there is short term benefit; but the long-term problems that it will face are unprecedented. Scotland's economy has been doing terribly since the collapse of the steel industry. So NO, Scotland's economy will stagnate in the future and you guys will be in crippling debt (Britain will have to bail you out again). Besides the matter, more taxpayer money goes into Scotland than comes out so you guys will have to withstand vicious spending cuts. And there's more; Parliament will give you your fair share of the national debt, putting you about 150% of your GDP in debt... Good luck with that."

The Scottish economy has been doing well for years. Just read the McCrone report (you know the report form 1975 that showed how well the Scottish economy was doing, the one that was covered up until a Scottish Prime minster and his government introduced the Freedom of Information act).  Even  the current prime minster David Cameron admitted on national television that the Scotland would have a good economy (will add link if/when i find it).

"More taxpayers money goes into Scotland than comes out" - no this is untrue just look at the cebr report it clearly shows that Scotland receives no net subsidy

link to cebr site, read first line under grey title box: http://www.cebr.com/reports/how-money-in-some-regions-subsidises-others/

Our share of the national debt is between 8 and 9 percent. This is based on population share.  That works out at 216billion. Our share of the national debt is about $177 billion. We have a current gdp of 216. That is about 81% of our GDP in debt. Compare that to the roughly 90% of the UK. Hmm I think we would be better off don't you?

" What's wrong with Nuclear weapons? But I get your point, if slight devolution goes ahead, you will not be allowed to have nuclear weapons in Scotland as it won't be a Nuclear power"

Nuclear weapons are obscene and destructive.  Current (and its pretty well known) Scotland is treated as the dumping ground for nuclear waste by the UK. We have nuclear weapons just tens of miles away from major urban areas. The weapons were not put in parts of England for this very reason. An independent Scotland would have no nuclear weapons. Just like most of NATO

"And, The EU is a tough cookie... There is no way they are budging on anything like that. If Scotland wants to devolve, it will have to have the EU on it's side, not alienate it with fishing policies."

Its quite simple really. Its our water. We have every right to protect our interests. The UK Government ignored the fact that fishing is a major contribution to the Scottish economy. Independently we would not allow this. Why would the EU not want Scotland to join? We are an oil rich, energy rich nation with an existing track record within the EU. Then there is the fact the UK may not be a member of the EU for much longer. Its not any more or less certain.

Constructing long answer with supporting evidence. will edit when done.

I'm in bed. Sorry dude.

I'm up for it, mainly because we control about 1/4 of Europe's current renewable energy

Current and potential do not mean the same thing. They're veeeeeeery different things actually. So, yes, he is wrong.

What Nexus said :P

^ Just like that :D

What he said has nothing to do with your comment.

Current and potential do not mean the same thing. They're veeeeeeery different things actually. So, yes, he is wrong.

Actually, i said, current because it's currently there, doesn't have to be getting harnessed for it to be there.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Actually, i said, current because it's currently there, doesn't have to be getting harnessed for it to be there.

Then you're 100% wrong as the solar energy over the entire EU, which is very much there, is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more then whatever potential tidal or wind energy you have.

Anyway,

• Up to a 25% of Europe's titdal power and 10% of its wave power

Offshore isn't just a pretty word to fill empty space. 25% of offshore wind resource potential is not that much when compared with the total wind potential of Europe. As far as I know Portugal doesn't have any offshore wind renewable energy and we currently have about 5MW in wind power. There aren't that many countries with offshore wind power, the vast majority puts their wind turbines on solid ground. Even Sctoland barely has any off-shore wind power, 99% of your wind power is onshore.

Needless to say, 25% of europe's tidal power isn't that much either.