Quad core vs HT Dual Core

Go to solution Solved by typographie,

Having Hyperthreading gets a dual-core chip a little closer to running like a true quad-core, but not all the way. The i5 is still going to be faster in multithreaded tasks. The G4560 will be a lot faster in those tasks than if it didn't have Hyperthreading, though.

So I have been slowly pricing together a PC to replace my work computer (accountant stuff) and had the realization that I may be able to save some $$ and get a dual core w/ HT (Pentium G4560) instead of a locked I5 (i5-7500).

Now, according to my boss I do want a quad core, since it will help a lot in some work tasks I normally do. But I am wondering will a Dual core w/ HT (4 threads) be comparable to some degree to a quad core (4 threads) when doing multi-core workloads or am I missing something?

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

1 hour ago, Drake10114 said:

So I have been slowly pricing together a PC to replace my work computer (accountant stuff) and had the realization that I may be able to save some $$ and get a dual core w/ HT (Pentium G4560) instead of a locked I5 (i5-7500).

Now, according to my boss I do want a quad core, since it will help a lot in some work tasks I normally do. But I am wondering will a Dual core w/ HT (4 threads) be comparable to some degree to a quad core (4 threads) when doing multi-core workloads or am I missing something?

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7500/3892vs3648

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

What was it again that you said you were using the PC for?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Having Hyperthreading gets a dual-core chip a little closer to running like a true quad-core, but not all the way. The i5 is still going to be faster in multithreaded tasks. The G4560 will be a lot faster in those tasks than if it didn't have Hyperthreading, though.

Price/performance g4560 wins but the i5 performs better

This is a signature.

9 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

What was it again that you said you were using the PC for?

Accoutant work, so Tax software, excel, word, internet broswing and Quickbooks for bookkeeping (damn thing loves RAM).

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

I would get the i5 to be safe.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

9 minutes ago, 79 Potatoes said:

Price/performance g4560 wins but the i5 performs better

10 minutes ago, typographie said:

Okay, so If I have to cut costs down for whatever reason, going to a Pentium G4560 won't be too horrible as I thought. Good to know.

Current System Specs:

9 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

I would get the i5 to be safe.

Was planning too, but wanted a back-up idea that would still work if I need to shave some cash of the PC. Currently I'm running a 2014 Pentium that is a mobile processor.. and dual core..

Current System Specs:

6 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

Accoutant work, so Tax software, excel, word, internet broswing and Quickbooks for bookkeeping (damn thing loves RAM).

A g4560 will handle it 

9 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

A g4560 will handle it 

That's what I was thinking, also saves the company (my dad owns it, so partially don't wanna cost him alot) and should be able to handle tasks well. Will be faster than this mobile pentium by far..

Current System Specs:

11 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

A g4560 will handle it 

Only shitty part is I have to get a full license for WIndows 10 Pro... pricey, but required for work.

Current System Specs:

3 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

Only shitty part is I have to get a full license for WIndows 10 Pro... pricey, but required for work.

Kinguin sells them for $27.

9 minutes ago, Snaeb said:

Kinguin sells them for $27.

Would, but since it's for business purposes, I'd rather pay full price and not due some sketchy (although still legal, but more in the grey) stuff.

Current System Specs:

Just now, Drake10114 said:

Would, but since it's for business purposes, I'd rather pay full price and not due some sketchy (although still legal, but more in the grey) stuff.

Gotcha makes sense. I'm against piracy myself so at least this is more grey than black and white lol.

10 minutes ago, Snaeb said:

Gotcha makes sense. I'm against piracy myself so at least this is more grey than black and white lol.

Yep, read somewhere some codes may be either stolen, or acquired from stolen credit cards. Either way I have to pay full price, but at least we get to deduct the costs from our Income :D

Current System Specs:

Yep, read somewhere some codes may be either stolen, or acquired from stolen credit cards. Either way I have to pay full price, but at least we get to deduct the costs from our Income :D

That's always been the grey area but more sources seem to be volume resellers than that. But I totally get why you need it directly from Microsoft.

6 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

You can just get it for free

install it, click I don't have a key

9 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

You can just get it for free

Eh, that sounds more sketchier lol.. windows pro is usually never free, since it's more for businesses.

Current System Specs:

Eh, that sounds more sketchier lol.. windows pro is usually never free, since it's more for businesses.

I mean it literally works its a windows feature I'm running it. And nothing bad would come from buying a key off of Kinguin, you're just wasting money 

10 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

I mean it literally works its a windows feature I'm running it. And nothing bad would come from buying a key off of Kinguin, you're just wasting money 

You think wasting, I'm more thinking deductions for the company, so we pay less taxes.

And I'd rather be safe then sorry when it comes to work/business items.

Current System Specs:

A celeron would do nicely for this workload.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

10 minutes ago, Terryv said:

A celeron would do nicely for this workload.

Unfortunately I don't think so, the Pentium would be the lowest I would want to go, considering they have worse IGPU's, lower base frequency, and the fact I can't run more than 8gb is basically a hard no.

Current System Specs:

3 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

You think wasting, I'm more thinking deductions for the company, so we pay less taxes.

And I'd rather be safe then sorry when it comes to work/business items.

It's not genuinely a deduction though, it would just be alleviating the taxes for the object you bought. You seem to have a very elementary understanding of taxes. Why not just get better hardware instead of windows? 

10 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

It's not genuinely a deduction though, it would just be alleviating the taxes for the object you bought. You seem to have a very elementary understanding of taxes. Why not just get better hardware instead of windows? 

Don't need a balls-to-the-wall PC for accountant work lol?

and since we are incorporated, taxations is slightly different, since we can claim it is depreciation (55% * 1/2, due to 1st year of purchase), which is an expense, which lowers Net Income/Taxable Income, so we pay less taxes.

Current System Specs: