Quad core vs HT Dual Core

Go to solution Solved by typographie,

Having Hyperthreading gets a dual-core chip a little closer to running like a true quad-core, but not all the way. The i5 is still going to be faster in multithreaded tasks. The G4560 will be a lot faster in those tasks than if it didn't have Hyperthreading, though.

Just now, Drake10114 said:

Unfortunately I don't think so, the Pentium would be the lowest I would want to go, considering they have worse IGPU's, lower base frequency, and the fact I can't run more than 8gb is basically a hard no.

Your iGPU isn't doing anything besides displaying on your monitor. Where are you getting you 8gb limit? Intel says 64gb capacity: https://ark.intel.com/products/97451/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G3950-2M-Cache-3_00-GHz

an office computer doesn't really need more than that.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

9 minutes ago, Terryv said:

Your iGPU isn't doing anything besides displaying on your monitor. Where are you getting you 8gb limit? Intel says 64gb capacity: https://ark.intel.com/products/97451/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G3950-2M-Cache-3_00-GHz

For accounting work, we are looking at 16gb, since some programs are incredibly demanding.

and wierd that processor wasn't listed when I searched for celerons...

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

Just now, Drake10114 said:

Don't need a balls-to-the-wall PC for accountant work lol?

and since we are incorporated, taxations is slightly different, since we can claim it is depreciation (55% * 1/2, due to 1st year of purchase), which is an expense, which lowers Net Income/Taxable Income, so we pay less taxes.

If you spend the money on hardware the outcome will be the same, correct?

its a difference of like 90$ so you're not getting a balls to the wall machine here 

11 minutes ago, Terryv said:

Wait that's a dual core lol, may run into the same bottle-necks as now.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

10 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

If you spend the money on hardware the outcome will be the same, correct?

its a difference of like 90$ so you're not getting a balls to the wall machine here 

Fair, but as I stated I have my reasons, and rather play it safe. If it costs more, oh well.

Current System Specs:

1 minute ago, Drake10114 said:

Wait that's a dual core lol, may run into the same bottle-necks as now.

what do you have now?

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

9 minutes ago, Terryv said:

what do you have now?

Dual core Pentium, Mobile Processor, but according to our IT guy, we should be thinking of upgrading to quad cores, hence why I thought a Pentium w/ HT would be a cheaper alternative.

Current System Specs:

10 minutes ago, Terryv said:

what do you have now?

Just checked, and based on partpicker, I'd save $18, but get no HT and slower clock-speeds. It may be a 3rd option however, thanks for the idea.

Current System Specs:

desktop class stuff is leagues better than mobile to start off. And quad cores for office work is rather excessive. I built a bunch of G1820 based machines for my wife's work (similar workload to yours) and they all work great.

clock speeds mean ;little when comparing across generations

3 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

Dual core Pentium, Mobile Processor, but according to our IT guy, we should be thinking of upgrading to quad cores, hence why I thought a Pentium w/ HT would be a cheaper alternative.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

11 minutes ago, Terryv said:

desktop class stuff is leagues better than mobile to start off. And quad cores for office work is rather excessive. I built a bunch of G1820 based machines for my wife's work (similar workload to yours) and they all work great.

clock speeds mean ;little when comparing across generations

Fair enough, will look into it thanks.

Current System Specs: