RX 480 vs GTX 1060 3gb

scottjeb

480 4gb, though I might go 1060 3gb if it was reeeaaallly cheap

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, scottjeb said:

For gaming, gtx 1060 3gb or RX 480 4gb?

No doubt, the RX480 is the better option, maybe save a little or go for a different variant to get a 8GB.

the rx 480 4gb can easily be oced to be as fast as an oced rx480 8gb, where the 1060 3gb can't be as fast as a 1060 6gb (less cuda cores), so its a no brainer 

Edited by cj09beira

They're essentially the same (no, you don't actually need more than 3GB of VRAM with those cards), so to with the 480 since it's cheaper. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, scottjeb said:

It's only 30 bucks more than the rx 480

Damascus

Definitely get the 480, Though if you could stretch it I'd get this STRIX 480, its only $40 more than the cheapest 1060 3GB and soooooo much better

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/XygPxr/asus-radeon-rx-480-8gb-rog-strix-video-card-rog-strix-rx480-8g-gaming

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Jt7CmG/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10610a-10l

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

11 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

the rx 480 4gb can easily be oced to be as fast as a oced rx480 so its a no brainer 

Wait... What?

An OC'ed 480 = An OC'ed 480?

I mean you're not wrong...

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Wait... What?

An OC'ed 480 = An OC'ed 480?

I mean you're not wrong...

the diference is that you can't get the 1060 3gb to be as fast as a 6gb 1060

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They're essentially the same (no, you don't actually need more than 3GB of VRAM with those cards), so to with the 480 since it's cheaper. 

Maybe today, some games work fine with 3GB VRAM, but in a year or two, VRAM requirements will definitely go up.

the extra 1GB will definitely be put to good use in the future.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, cj09beira said:

the diference is that you can't get the 1060 3gb to be as fast as a 6gb 1060

True.

But the way you wrote that is super confusing.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Maybe today, some games work fine with 3GB VRAM, but in a year or two, VRAM requirements will definitely go up.

the extra 1GB will definitely be put to good use in the future.

As VRAM usage goes up, so does power requirements.  When you start playing at settings where 3GB isn't enough, both versions of the 1060 start to tank.  The 3GB more than the 6GB, but the point is that by the time you really need 4GB+ of VRAM, none of the cards will really run well.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

As VRAM usage goes up, so does power requirements.  When you start playing at settings where 3GB isn't enough, both versions of the 1060 start to tank.  The 3GB more than the 6GB, but the point is that by the time you really need 4GB+ of VRAM, none of the cards will really run well.

Games easily can use more than 3GB.

even the 1050 comes in 4GB variants, so that VRAM is definitely needed for something.

GTA V.PNG

Desktop:

Laptop:

Games easily can use more than 3GB.

even the 1050 comes in 4GB variants, so that VRAM is definitely needed for something.

GTA V.PNG

I didn't say they couldn't use it.  I said they didn't need it.  ROTR can use up to ~7GB at 1440p if memory serves correctly.  They cache stuff in the VRAM to make it a little bit faster, but it still runs fine without it.  When it gets to the point where they actually need it, then performance tanks because the card isn't powerful enough anyway.

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Playing DOOM at Ultra (Not nightmare) settings, my 1070 reached up to 5GB VRAM usage.

I'd like to think that the 480 and 1060 can all handle DOOM pretty well, so no, the 3GB model will not become obsolete by the time VRAM limits kick in.

Desktop:

Laptop:

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I didn't say they couldn't use it.  I said they didn't need it.  ROTR can use up to ~7GB at 1440p if memory serves correctly.  They cache stuff in the VRAM to make it a little bit faster, but it still runs fine without it.  When it gets to the point where they actually need it, then performance tanks because the card isn't powerful enough anyway.

When GPUs fill up their VRAM, they start to compress the data in VRAM to make more room.

this doesn't result in a complete wreckage of FPS, but it does result in extra work for the GPU, so performance goes down.

It's better to just not run out of VRAM in the first place, no?

Desktop:

Laptop:

When GPUs fill up their VRAM, they start to compress the data in VRAM to make more room.

this doesn't result in a complete wreckage of FPS, but it does result in extra work for the GPU, so performance goes down.

It's better to just not run out of VRAM in the first place, no?

Yeah, the higher variants are better.  But is it worth the cost?  There is a 25%+ price increase for a 5-10% gain in performance.

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yeah, the higher variants are better.  But is it worth the cost?  There is a 25%+ price increase for a 5-10% gain in performance.

Which is why people should go with the RX 480.

0% price increase for 5-10% gain in performance.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Which is why people should go with the RX 480.

0% price increase for 5-10% gain in performance.

That's why I suggested it lol.

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

no, you don't actually need more than 3GB of VRAM with those cards

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's why I suggested it lol.

I was just trying to correct you saying that 3gb is not enough

Desktop:

Laptop: