i3-6100 bottleneck by an RX 480

Ok, so i was benchmarking my build, when i noticed my CPU never got passed 30% usage in MSI afterburner. So i decided to lower the resolution and immediatly 40-50% CPU usage and double the frame rate. My conclusion is the GPU is the weak spot, am I thinking this right? I need a pinch here. 

Radeon Software Version - 17.3.3
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
Graphics Chipset - Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
Memory Size - 8192 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 1276 MHz--> OC 1380MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 8 GB Corsair Vengance LPX 2400 MHZ at 2133 MHz

Motherboard : MSI H110i Pro, AMI bios 3.7
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz

What resolution are you running?  I really doubt your 480 is any sort of bottleneck

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

The GPU is almost ALWAYS the bottlneck in video games . That remains true even when using a gtx 1070 and 1080 , albeit to a lesser extent . The reason why lowering resolution increases cpu usage is that you are putting less load on the gpu , whcih can then draw more frames. The cpu then has more frames to keep up with , increasing cpu usage.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

What resolution are you running?  I really doubt your 480 is any sort of bottleneck

o right, 1080p then 720p. GPU usage is 100% all the way

Your i3 will run poorly in CPU intensive games.  I wouldn't pair an i3 and a 1070  personally (or an i5 for that matter) as 4 core CPUs are becoming irrelevant

10 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

The GPU is almost ALWAYS the bottlneck in video games . That remains true even when using a gtx 1070 and 1080 , albeit to a lesser extent . The reason why lowering resolution increases cpu usage is that you are putting less load on the gpu , whcih can then draw more frames. The cpu then has more frames to keep up with , increasing cpu usage.

that so? so i guest there's no point in upgrading my CPU then for at least a few years? Because based on what the internet and most of my friends say is generally, ".. dude, ur CPU sucks, get a new one..." but with this, I am not compelled. I needed confirmation. I only do Mild photoshop and presentations other than gaming. would it be unreasonable to hypothetically replace the GPU with say a GTX 1070?

Just now, XVB said:

that so? so i guest there's no point in upgrading my CPU then for at least a few years? Because based on what the internet and most of my friends say is generally, ".. dude, ur CPU sucks, get a new one..." but with this, I am not compelled. I needed confirmation. I only do Mild photoshop and presentations other than gaming. would it be unreasonable to hypothetically replace the GPU with say a GTX 1070?

You have to keep in mind that a 107 is significantly faster though . Should still be ok , but you'd be pushing it . 

What games do you play ? Cpu usage in modern titles should be high on an i3

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

50 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

You have to keep in mind that a 107 is significantly faster though . Should still be ok , but you'd be pushing it . 

What games do you play ? Cpu usage in modern titles should be high on an i3

my most modern titles would be DOOM and BF1. And i am waiting on Total war: Warhammer to go on discount. Assasins creed series, Metro, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Deus ex and Talos Principle are the ones important to me. thats fine actually, cause here CPU is god awfully priced compaired to GPUs

53 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Your i3 will run poorly in CPU intensive games.  I wouldn't pair an i3 and a 1070  personally (or an i5 for that matter) as 4 core CPUs are becoming irrelevant

yeah, I was going to get a Ryzen 5. but now i'm thinking whats the point, if the i3 isn't even sweating right now. Haven't tried more modern titles though. no fast internet for the time being

Just now, XVB said:

my most modern titles would be DOOM and BF1. And i am waiting on Total war: Warhammer to go on discount. Assasins creed series, Metro, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Deus ex and Talos Principle are the ones important to me. thats fine actually, cause here CPU is god awfully priced compaired to GPUs

The i3 might be an issue in games such as bf1 and doom when paired with a 1070 , especially in future titles . But it's still perfectly capable for older titles like fallout , deus ex , etc.

Just now, XVB said:

yeah, I was going to get a Ryzen 5. but now i'm thinking whats the point, if the i3 isn't even sweating right now

RYZEN 5 is what I'd suggest actually.  4/6 core CPUS with hyperthreading are a great sweet spot atm

Just now, Damascus said:

RYZEN 5 is what I'd suggest actually.  4/6 core CPUS with hyperthreading are a great sweet spot atm

IK right? and no tax mark up in my country too. so its like dollar per local currency priced. but i think i'm going to get a better GPU first

480 and R5 are a great combo.  

43 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

The i3 might be an issue in games such as bf1 and doom when paired with a 1070 , especially in future titles . But it's still perfectly capable for older titles like fallout , deus ex , etc.

how much of a hit do you think i'll be getting?

40 minutes ago, Damascus said:

480 and R5 are a great combo.  

Yaeh, I'll think about it some more when its released. tnx man. cool profile pic BTW, call the cops 

7 minutes ago, XVB said:

how much of a hit do you think i'll be getting?

hard to say , but seeing as an i5 is around 95% in bf1 when paired with a 1080 , you will be limited .

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

hard to say , but seeing as an i5 is around 95% in bf1 when paired with a 1080 , you will be limited .

But, Battlefield 1 scales very good, from what I see. like it totally uses everything the system has. May be I'll post the results someday. thx man, been a big help