Pentium G4560 vs. Core i3-7100

Is it worth it to get a Pentium G4560 over a Core i3-7100 for half the price?
I'm building a gaming PC and I was going to buy an i3-7100 (until I can afford an i7), but now, after watching a few benchmarks, I'm really curious about the G4560. I just plan to game, do homework and web browsing (Netflix, YouTube, Facebook) for now.
The other components are a B250 motherboard, an RX 480x4GB of VRAM and 2 sticks x8GB of RAM.

2 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

I'm building a gaming PC and I was going to buy an i3-7100 (until I can afford an i7), but now, after watching a few benchmarks, I'm really curious about the G4560. I just plan to game, do homework and web browsing (Netflix, YouTube, Facebook) for now.
The other components are a B250 motherboard, an RX 480x4GB of VRAM and 2 sticks x8GB of RAM.

Yes, go with the G4560. Performance is so close that it is kind of stupid on Intel's part.

22 hours ago, g12601 said:

Yes, go with the G4560. Performance is so close that it is kind of stupid on Intel's part.

That's what I noticed in the benchmarks, both are very close in terms of performance, maybe 10FPS or even less... and it's half the price.

22 hours ago, Jonadong said:

If u havent bought the mobo yet, get amd ryzen

Ryzen motherboards are like double the price of B250.

4 minutes ago, g12601 said:

For gaming, yes. But pentiums don't support the AVX/2 instruction set if you are into that. So the i3 still has some advantages. 

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

Just now, Shubham Yadav said:

For gaming, yes. But pentiums don't support the AVX/2 instruction set if you are into that. So the i3 still has some advantages. 

What's that AVX/2 thing? I'm very noob, xD

3 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

Ryzen motherboards are like double the price of B250.

In that case, just go with the pentium

2 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

What's that AVX/2 thing? I'm very noob, xD

If you don't know what it is, you most likely don't need it. It has very specific use cases, mostly in heavily multi-threaded CPU centric loads. It is a set of instructions at a high level.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Just now, Shubham Yadav said:

If you don't know what it is, you most likely don't need it. It has very specific use cases, mostly in heavily multi-threaded CPU centric loads. It is a set of instructions at a high level.

Oh, advanced stuff, okay... So, I don't really need it, thanks for the info

14 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

Look through my profile, I did a G4560 vs I5-4460 review but did different cards.  The G4560 didn't bottleneck any game really only the GPU did.

Just now, Snaeb said:

Look through my profile, I did a G4560 vs I5-4460 review but did different cards.  The G4560 didn't bottleneck any game really only the GPU did.

I'll check that out...

1 minute ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

Oh, advanced stuff, okay... So, I don't really need it, thanks for the info

Yeah, mostly used in scientific and financial simulations. It's supposed to parallelize floating point calculations better. 

Prime95 uses it too, no wonder it heats up the processor like crazy and makes otherwise stable overclocks unstable. 

Just now, DaemonWarrior44 said:

I'll check that out...

What really hurt my testing was the GTX 1050's 2GB Vram vs the GTX 960 4GB Vram.  In CPU intensive games like WoW it actually was neck and neck.

Just now, Snaeb said:

What really hurt my testing was the GTX 1050's 2GB Vram vs the GTX 960 4GB Vram.  In CPU intensive games like WoW it actually was neck and neck.

I'm gonna buy an RX 480x4GB of VRAM, will that GPU bottleneck the G4560 or something?

1 hour ago, CUDA_Cores said:

That is the specific reason why I don't stress test prime95 with intel CPUs these days having them be so AVX heavy. Intel Xeon lineup will actually throttle themselves back down when they detect AVX code being used, but a user overclock will obviously not do that. Asus Realbench does quite a good job at stressing the CPU and GPU.

With Z270, you can actually set an AVX offset during overclock. Take for example 7700k. You can overclock it to 5 GHz and set the AVX offset to 0.5 GHz. What it will do is automatically run at 4.5 GHz during AVX instructions and 5 GHz otherwise. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, DaemonWarrior44 said:

TL;DR Yes, Go for G4560 instead of i3-7100

I recommend you go for 1x8 GB of RAM for saving some money.

I recommend you wait for Ryzen 3 because either Intel will lower its i3 price lineup even further or Ryzen 3 will be the good value.

I recommend you change your GPU for RX 580 for better performance and same price.

I recommend you lower your GPU for GTX 1050Ti or RX 570 since your processor will get bottlenecked with your current configuration, and GPU is one of the PC part that change drastically annually, so save for another upgrade like SSD.

My RIG specs priced $315

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MstRbj

G4560 with stock cooler

Asrock H110M

HIS iCooler RX 460 2 GB

8 GB of RAM

120 GB of SSD

250 GB of HDD (which I salvaged and clean format from my 6 years PC)

My main game:

Battlefield 4 High-Ultra setting @900p getting more than 60 fps except when there is lots of small particle (dust, etc) around 57 fps.

CS:GO Max settings, more than 140 FPS.

Sins of a Solar Empire, High setting, which is hard to measure, and this game is RTS, which is CPU bound, the worst frame is when you zoom in when in an intense war, you will get 30 fps.

HERE IS MY RECOMMENDATION

This is the cheapest part i can find for your specs in PCPartPicker it cost $472

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/brMrf8

i believe 16 GB of RAM for your processor configuration is overkill, you could go for 1x8 GB and save some money for other upgrade like SSD which really affect your overall PC performance.

RX 480 4 GB is not recommended, as GPU is one of the PC parts which upgrade annually with significant change every years, I recommend you downgrade for GTX 1050Ti or RX570 if you want to use i3-7100 or push even further for GTX 1050 or RX 560 if you go for intel G4560.

If your budget is fixed around $472

I recommend you go for i5-7400 or Ryzen 5 (or maybe wait for Ryzen 3) 1400 with GTX 1050Ti or RX570, for more balance performance since you didn't mention your games, is it FPS-action (which is more GPU friendly) or RPG-style (which is more hard for GPU).

Processor is one of PC parts which has longer life span, even sometimes outlive your motherboard, so investing decent Processor at start is better for me.

My own rules for building first-time poor-man PC:

1. Processor first, it is controlling literally everything, good processor mean good overall experiences.

2. GPU, it impacts your gaming experiences greatly, match it for your need, GPU is changing annually.

3. Always stick with 1 stick 8 GB RAM, 4 GB will limit or even not playing current PC games, and you spare more slots for future upgrade. The most easy part to upgrade in PC, just Plug and Play.

4. HDD 500 GB, I believe you cannot but lots of ORIGINAL games if your max budget is like mine, the game itself is as expensive as most of your parts. 500 GB is lots and can store up to 8 AAA games which is around 50 GB right now. Great game will last for a year or so for you to play, you have time to save some money for HDD upgrade which is just plug and play.

5. Case and PSU, do not seek for that sleek smooth tempered glass if you plan to put it under beside your feet, you won't watch it. Buy the case which at least have 3 Fan placements, 2 for in 1 for out for optimal air flow.

6. SSD is optional, but one of the most important part for today PC, it increase your user experience, it's not all about gaming, with SSD you will get almost instant response after you turn on your PC, and almost immediately open your browser when you click it. That little thing that i want.

Okay for my background why i chose these parts. Now here is my recommendation for both Intel and Ryzen platform.

You can lower your price if you go for GTX 1050Ti or RX 570 (which i more prefer for this price range).

Here is my recommendation cost $498 for Intel

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/T4pMd6

i5 7400 (still more core is better)

B250

RX 580 4GB (Just buy 580 for better performance with same price)

1x8GB of RAM (With gaming and browsing or watching movie/Youtube, 8 GB is more than enough, just save some money for upgrade later)

Here is my recommendation, cost $503 for Ryzen only change the processor and motherboard

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TQy3kT

Ryzen 5 1400 (overclock for free boost and free decent cooler) << Personally i will wait for Ryzen 3 because 4C/4T is the best sweet spot for now

B350 (The only major difference with X370 is SLI/Crossfire support)

RX 580 4GB

1x8GB of RAM

Here is the advantage and disadvantage i found in internet for both Intel and AMD:

Intel's i3 Advantage:

+ More speed, which is USEFUL for GAMING

+ Best technology inside for NOW

+ Support Intel Octane (which I believe the dope version of SSD Cache, buy SSD instead, see LTT Youtube for the difference)

Intel's i3 Disadvantage:
- Less cores, which impact multi-tasking

- Less cores, which make its life cycle will short (I predict in 2 years or less you will change it first because more game will support higher cores)

- Intel's famous for change its socket for newer version of CPU, makes its motherboard obsolete for next gen processor, or in short no further support for next gen processor, you must be satisfied with i7-7700K maximum, for now.

Ryzen 5's Advantage:

+ More cores, which is USEFUL for MULTI-PURPOSE

+ More cores, which make its life cycle longer (I predict you will change it in 3 years or so, and the main reason you change will be old support protocol like newer version of USB, Thunderbolt, PCI, etc.)

+ AMD's famous for its very long technology cycle expect your AM4 motherboard will be last for at least 3 years so you can upgrade for next newer version of Ryzen in the future.

Ryzen 5's Disadvantage:

- NOT a GAMING Processor (Which is obvious for its low frequency, higher count processor)

- NOT the LATEST technology implemented

- Low implementation, so there are few products out there that support its higher count processor.

• 3 months later...
On 3/24/2017 at 11:50 PM, Shubham Yadav said:

If he really plan to upgrade to i7 by heart, it shouldn't be a problem.

Plus, there's only a handful of programs run in that instruction set at this time so it doesn't really matter.