i7 6 cores: Overated or nice to have?

these CPUs are going to be best at multithreading and a bit of gaming. if your pc main task is gaming get a 7700k but otherwise 6800k and 6900k will be better for your needs. ryzen would be good for your workload, you get performance of a 6900k for a 7700k price. 

Get an r7 1700, a noctua NH-D15 just 4 lolz (there are better options) and OC it as far as you can.

Tadaa, stupidly good price-performance and stupidly silent (i guess) :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Its weird to see CPU fanboy-ism. I got into the enthusiast community during the entire FX debacle so it was never really an issue, but now seeing people dig their heels on an overpriced Intel chip just because buying something that doesn't have that logo on it gets their panties in a bunch really grinds my gears.

Here's an idea. You give me the $1000 for an 6900k, and Ill give you a Ryzen build with a nice Intel sticker on it and pocket the other half.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

20 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

let the fanboy speak you muggle. OP get a 6800k, you won't need much power. 

*cuts out tongue* Sorry massa *bows and exits*

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

9 minutes ago, Moress said:

Its weird to see CPU fanboy-ism. I got into the enthusiast community during the entire FX debacle so it was never really an issue, but now seeing people dig their heels on an overpriced Intel chip just because buying something that doesn't have that logo on it gets their panties in a bunch really grinds my gears.

Here's an idea. You give me the $1000 for an 6900k, and Ill give you a Ryzen build with a nice Intel sticker on it and pocket the other half.

I don´t want a 1000$ 6900k. I was looking at the 6800k or its successor, the 7800k which should come out in Q2 of 2017. 

And the 6800k is less than 500€ in Germany so for me, that´s a valid choice between the 7700k and the 7800k or 6800k. It´s a 100€ price difference and I wanted to know from people that use those processors if they can recommend them. I am considering an 1800X build but that was not the question of this post. If I wanted to have a discussion about a Ryzen build I would´ve done so. Why all the Intel hate guys? Ryzen has been out for a month and it´s already the better ecosystem? I´d personally wait some months to see what happens...If the Ryzen are still good and no problems have shown, I will happily go for a 1700 or higher.  

41 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1826?vs=1727

Going by this, the i7-7700K does seem to inch close to the i7-6800K in a lot of benchmarks where multithreaded performance would matter. So I would say the i7-6800K isn't really worth it, even taking overclocking into account.

EDIT: So taking a random benchmark because I'm too lazy to do statistics, you're paying like 30% more for maybe 15% more performance.

Thanks for that link, that site looks amazing for comparisons.

And you seem to be right. But then again there is a difference of one Generation. Maybe the 7800k will shine? Or not...Who knows

8 minutes ago, iggybo said:

I don´t want a 1000$ 6900k. I was looking at the 6800k or its successor, the 7800k which should come out in Q2 of 2017. 

And the 6800k is less than 500€ in Germany so for me, that´s a valid choice between the 7700k and the 7800k or 6800k. It´s a 100€ price difference and I wanted to know from people that use those processors if they can recommend them. I am considering an 1800X build but that was not the question of this post. If I wanted to have a discussion about a Ryzen build I would´ve done so. Why all the Intel hate guys? Ryzen has been out for a month and it´s already the better ecosystem? I´d personally wait some months to see what happens...If the Ryzen are still good and no problems have shown, I will happily go for a 1700 or higher.  

Ryzen is better interms of price compared to the x99 ecosystem. That's why everyone and their dog is telling you to get ryzen over the 6800k. No one is hating on intel .-.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

26 minutes ago, iggybo said:

The Ryzen 7 1800X at US$499 is better than the US$1000 6900K. That is why we are recommending it.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

the 6800k  is limited on lanes and x99 is super limited on lanes. your best bet is to wait for the new intel i7s that should be coming out soon. it will also give amd more time to iron out it's own problems and provide a settled market with reliable performance marks across the board

To answer the OP’s original question,

I have a 6 core 3960X. Still using it too. Have been for like 5 years now. And no regrets.

I love having the additional cores over the 4 core models from back then and even now. I don’t encode or do content creation, mostly general use and games. But what I will do is throw whatever at my pc and not care because it will handle it. I’ll run a game on my main monitor, watch a movie on my second while running voip program while doing antivirus and spyware scans while steam does some updating and not give a crap because I’ve got 12 threads to throw around. Yes the thing is old now and none of the threads are particularly fast but I never have to pick and choose what to open or leave running or stop what I’m doing because Bitdefender is a resource whore. Even little stuff like alt tabbing out of a game to open another game that you and your buddies are gona play but friend A is taking a piss so friend B goes to get something to eat so you keep playing Dragon age with Sins of a solar empire loaded and standing by cuz you know their gona be 15 min by the time they have themselves in order and loaded into the game lol.

Regardless of if it’s with intel or AMD CPU’s my next build will be a minimum of 6 cores. I’ve gotten use to using my PC like that and I don’t want to lose that functionality.

So yea, I have 6 cores and love it.

As a recommendation if you’re building today with intel:

6800k if you’re cool with 28pice lanes

6850k if you want 40 PCIE lanes

They both OC to 4.4 as per tom’s hardware review, google it and you can find the link pretty easy

If you can wait, do so and see what intel responds with on the x299’s pricing. Spec wise alone it should be worth waiting

I just recently finished building a Xeon system that uses an E5-1650 which is basically an i7-3930K with support for up to 256GB of ECC RAM (it even comes with an unlocked multiplier). I built the system because I was on a tight budget but wanted something that could render my videos faster than the 2500K I was using. I paid $87 USD for the processor and it is incredible. It does everything I ask and usually still has CPU power left over. I was able to overclock it to 4.7 out of the gate but I run it at 4.5 because motherboards for it are expensive and hard to come by (the CPU already killed one).

If you are doing video editing or code compiling then yes I would recommend a six core processor, however I would also not suggest something from the latest gen and look at used to save money. As everyone else in this thread has already said, Ryzen is just as good in these tasks for less money so it makes it hard to recommend at the price you pay (hence why I went used).

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I know you don't want Ryzen but my 1700x renders more than twic as fast as my 4790k at 4.5GHz.

I can think of literally no reason to go for Intel Hex-core over the Ryzen 7 except "I have Intel Bling."

I mean, I guess if you have money to burn it's fine???

I dunno, I 100% Think you're going the wrong direction with this by not going Ryzen, seeing that the 6800K Is Slower then the 1800X. So you're Basically paying more for less. /: You get about a +5-10% Gain in Single core performance on the Intel for a -40% hit to Muti-threaded power, give or take. If you're dead set on Intel, wait.

100% Cannot Recommend a Hex-core Intel chip that is currently on the NEW market over Ryzen. Maybe some of the older Chips, buying used. In the end though, your money.

Here are my two cents:

• Get a 6 core i7 if you game but you also do content creation
  • Get an 8 core Ryzen CPU, if you mostly do content creation
  • Get a 7700K if all you do is play games

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402