OC 930 Advise/feedback and comparison to other i7s

20 hours ago, Damascus said:

bummer

The corsair 540 has room for 240mm, 280mm or 360mm.

1 minute ago, Sin Stalker said:

The corsair 540 has room for 240mm, 280mm or 360mm.

Yeah, that's great, it has a "room" design.  If you like that aesthetic go for it and slap in a 280mm/360mm AIO or cooler with a beefy heatsink :D

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

34 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Yeah, that's great, it has a "room" design.  If you like that aesthetic go for it and slap in a 280mm/360mm AIO or cooler with a beefy heatsink :D

I'm going back and forth between a tower vs aio. Very conflicted. Aestetics, the aio will show my mobo more and can have rgb. The tower is uglier but cheaper to replace a fan than replace the entire aio when, not if, a pump fails.

Gaaaahhhhh!

On 3/28/2017 at 4:58 PM, Sin Stalker said:

I'm going back and forth between a tower vs aio. Very conflicted. Aestetics, the aio will show my mobo more and can have rgb. The tower is uglier but cheaper to replace a fan than replace the entire aio when, not if, a pump fails.

Gaaaahhhhh!

Have you decided?  Also, how is the new case?

Just now, Damascus said:

Have you decided?  Also, how is the new case?

Haven't decided yet. I figured I shouldn't pick a cooler till I pick what xeon I'm getting. There are a few things that have thrown me off when looking at them. I actually started another thread asking about air coolers (the ones you suggested) and water coolers with the two xeons I'm looking at. 

I'm currently leaning towards either the h110, just cause its 40 cheaper than the x62, but still a 280mm. But I also just watched season 4 of SYW and it freaked me out when linus found the interior clogged to shit. 

I've also had a big chemistry test looming, so haven't done as much research as I'd like. 

BTW, is there a big performance difference between the x61 vs x62? Its a large price difference.

Someone also mentioned the x62 had to have third party software running in the background all the time, because they had an older board. (which mine is old), So I have to research that a bit too. 

If cost is an issue you can totally go with the Corsair AIO.  I'm not a hundred percent sure on the x 62 versus x61 I think the x61 doesn't come with fans.  Don't quote me on that lol I totally go with you X 61 if necessary

23 hours ago, Damascus said:

If cost is an issue you can totally go with the Corsair AIO.  I'm not a hundred percent sure on the x 62 versus x61 I think the x61 doesn't come with fans.  Don't quote me on that lol I totally go with you X 61 if necessary

So now I'm thinking I'm gonna hit the air cooler. I was looking and found that they hold their value.

So I can grab one of those now and start learning how to overclock with my 930. Then I can try out a Xeon later and push it as far as I can on air. Then get the case and aio and be able to compare temps. 

That way I can either resell the tower or if money permits, keep it on hand as a good backup cooler. 

I'm doing some last minute comparisons between the D15 and D14. 

The D15 says it can clear ram up to 32mm. How do I find out if it'll fit my board with ram??

23 hours ago, Damascus said:

My ram:

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16820231277

32 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Not sure, just give it a shot

I'm told the ram is 40mm and according to amazon, noctua can only clear 32mm. So re-evaluating. 

Just now, Sin Stalker said:

I'm told the ram is 40mm and according to amazon, noctua can only clear 32mm. So re-evaluating. 

Can you jump straight to AIO?

Just now, Damascus said:

Can you jump straight to AIO?

If I grab the new case or get a smaller aio radiator, like the h55. Can only do one thing now, so I guess I'll get the case and aim for a water cooler next. ...

Just now, Sin Stalker said:

If I grab the new case or get a smaller aio radiator, like the h55. Can only do one thing now, so I guess I'll get the case and aim for a water cooler next. ...

Bummer.  I don't suggest buying any 120mm AIO for your build, you could destroy your  CPU

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Bummer.  I don't suggest buying any 120mm AIO for your build, you could destroy your  CPU

Yeah. I figured out the most cost effective, but that ended up not being possible, unless I remove sticks of ram.

Where did you find that photo of my case with the noctua d15 inside? Maybe I can track that down and find out what ram their rockin...

10 minutes ago, Damascus said:

You can try taking off the heat-spreaders 

Actually: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045

According to this diagram, its the fan that is 32mm of clearance. The actual heat sink is 64mm. I could put the fan on the other side or mount it higher. I think I saw an episode on LTT where one of the guys had to do that.

I am thinking I'm back to getting this. lmao. 

1 minute ago, Sin Stalker said:

According to this diagram, its the fan that is 32mm of clearance. The actual heat sink is 64mm. I could put the fan on the other side or mount it higher. I think I saw an episode on LTT where one of the guys had to do that.

Totally doable

15 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Totally doable

Quick Q, why did you pick the D15 instead of the D14? Or the D15S?

That came up while I was double checking socket type compatibility. Apparently D15 requires me to order an adapter kit.

It was on sale lol

Blah. Now I'm being all OCD about the weight of the D15 on my mobo. I'm doing my more of my research now and seeing horror stories...

35 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

Blah. Now I'm being all OCD about the weight of the D15 on my mobo. I'm doing my more of my research now and seeing horror stories...

If you are comfortable with case cutting yoou can make a 280mm rad mount anywhere on your case very easily.  I did it myself

IMG_20170316_190133.thumb.jpg.6d90473a302cfa8be58a1250142f36bc.jpg