HDR vs Input Lag (New 4k TV/Monitor)

Inrix
Go to solution Solved by CyberneticTitan,
Just now, Inrix said:

Ok cool, and I have my main monitor (1440p 165hz) to play games like CSGO... Do you think its worth getting the one with HDR then if I wont have any content for it? Ill only be watching youtube/games/Bluray (not HDR) on it...

If you don't plan on viewing HDR content, then it would be beneficial for you to save the money.

HOWEVER. You'll need a 4K Blu-Ray player to enjoy the sharpest quality and most of the time they include HDR versions with the discs.

It will likely be beneficial for you to take a stroll to your local BestBuy or whatever and compare.

I'm planning on getting this monitor: https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=3613828 mainly for movie watching and some light gaming. My question is, would I be better off getting a HDR TV instead? I cant really afford anything more expensive than that so the best I could get is this: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/TVLGL49UH652V/LG-49UH652V-49-4K-UHD-Smart-TV--IPS-Panel--3840x21?qr=pspy&ref=pricespy

If I only plan to do the occasional game that I want to run in 4k on it do you think that the input lag would be ok? I don't know how bad it is as I have never tried to game on a 4k TV...

Do you think getting the HDR TV would be a better idea or would the input lag crush my ability to game on it (Tbh I might not mind too much...), and is HDR even supported in most games/windows.

If I watch normal blurays on it will there be any difference? Or do I actually need the content to take advantage of it?

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

I've played a bit on my HDR LG TV and I wasn't bothered by it

I'm also not bothered by the lag V-Sync introduces; and I know a lot of people are

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I've played a bit on my HDR LG TV and I wasn't bothered by it

I'm also not bothered by the lag V-Sync introduces; and I know a lot of people are

Whats the difference like between playing on the HDR TV and your normal monitor in terms of how the HDR looks... Is it a worthwhile difference or do you just think meh... And does the content/game your watching actually need HDR support for there to be a difference?

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

My TV's input lag is around 55ms and I have been able to enjoy Halo on it (LG 55LA6200).

I have no doubts that your TV will have a "game" mode to disable all post-processing effects to minimize input lag. As long as it's not games like CS:GO that require absolute minimum response time and input lag, you'll be fine.

Many newer LG 4K TV's are under 50ms if you check here: https://displaylag.com/display-database/

You need HDR content to fully appreciate HDR. However, the TV most likely has some post-processing and up-scaling to make your experience "better".

2 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

My TV's input lag is around 55ms and I have been able to enjoy Halo on it (LG 55LA6200).

I have no doubts that your TV will have a "game" mode to disable all post-processing effects to minimize input lag. As long as it's not games like CS:GO that require absolute minimum response time and input lag, you'll be fine.

Many newer LG 4K TV's are under 50ms if you check here: https://displaylag.com/display-database/

You need HDR content to fully appreciate HDR. However, the TV most likely has some post-processing and up-scaling to make your experience "better".

Ok cool, and I have my main monitor (1440p 165hz) to play games like CSGO... Do you think its worth getting the one with HDR then if I wont have any content for it? Ill only be watching youtube/games/Bluray (not HDR) on it...

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

2 minutes ago, Inrix said:

Whats the difference like between playing on the HDR TV and your normal monitor in terms of how the HDR looks... Is it a worthwhile difference or do you just think meh... And does the content/game your watching actually need HDR support for there to be a difference?

actual HDR content is different

gaming in HDR is kinda' tricky since W10 is still not fully HDR aware and some weirdness will poop

PS: get good HDMI Platinum Certified HDMI cable - currently this is my biggest problem; almost a month since I ordered mine, not available in country

Just now, Inrix said:

If you don't plan on viewing HDR content, then it would be beneficial for you to save the money.

HOWEVER. You'll need a 4K Blu-Ray player to enjoy the sharpest quality and most of the time they include HDR versions with the discs.

It will likely be beneficial for you to take a stroll to your local BestBuy or whatever and compare.

32 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

Is it worth waiting for OLED to get HDR?

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

17 minutes ago, Inrix said:

Not for a long time - OLED TVs have horrendous input lag at present. Maybe one day.

9 hours ago, jimmy6 said:

Not for a long time - OLED TVs have horrendous input lag at present. Maybe one day.

gaming-wise OLED TVs can compete just as well as a LED TV that can do low input lag. 

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-type/oled/best

9 hours ago, Inrix said:

OLED TVs are very expensive, and will stay that way for a while. you're basically paying for picture quality reminiscent of plasma TVs, but even better

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-type/qled-vs-oled-vs-led

there's a fair amount of non-OLED TVs capable of displaying great HDR. one such TV is the Samsung KS8000

On 19/03/2017 at 9:08 PM, Technicolors said:

gaming-wise OLED TVs can compete just as well as a LED TV that can do low input lag. 

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-type/oled/best

If I'm reading the review correctly, it says the LG OLED TV has a 34.1ms input lag at best. That's (in my experience) pretty much unusable for gaming. The Samsung you mentioned has an input lag of around 20ms. I've used them both for gaming, and could definitely tell the difference between the two. In fact, it was the reason I haven't bought into OLED yet. Plus, the brightness is not great compared to the current crop of LED TVs on the market, and this makes a big difference for me living in a very sunny part of the world.

I'm sure OLED will catch up one day, but for my money it is not quite there for PC gaming.