1440p 144Hz Display, any recommendations?

Hi everyone!

Ive read that G-Sync doesnt make such impact when are not "short" of frames (Ex: running a game at <200fps on a 144Hz display It doesnt really make the different ratger), so since Im planning a build for a friend with the 1080ti I dont really know If It would be worth to buy a G-Sync monitor. We have a tight budget for a 1080ti (the system is all figured out, no need to worry about that :3). We have around 300€ left to spend in the monitor (take into account that the pricing in Spain is differen, indeed everything is ~20% more expensive), we want It to be 1440p and 144Hz, so I was wondering...

1) Is It a good idea to buy a TN monitor?

2) Is It really worth to get a IPS panel since they are 200€ or so more expensive?

3) As I stated before, Ive readed som articles and It seems like G-Sync doesnt make a very noticeable difference at high refresh rates and high frames, Am I right? Or have I read bullshit (because It wasnt a single article, there are quite a few of them which states that)? Do you guys agree? 

4) This one is longer. A few years ago (speaking out of my own experience) what I used to see are 120Hz monitors, and since is easier to achive 120fps than 144 (you have to remember that we will have a single 1080ti which cant even achieve 100fps maxed with some many modern high demanding games [theres lots of benchmarks out there]), I think that I could be a good idea, but making some research in the 1440p display market, Ive got the feeling like the 144Hz is the standard for high refresh rate monitors and there arent much models of 120Hz monitors anymore, am I right?

He is going to spend a really huge amount of money on the system and if a TN panel gets the job done and does It good, he doesnt really want to spend more money...

Thank you guys!

1440p IPS 144Hz Gsync is the best you can have atm. Your Friend should spend the extra Cash to experience true highend Gaming.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

it really depends on your budget, if you can ford luxuries like g sync and ips do it if not.

i myself run a Acer XB270HU. has the IPS but has freesync (don't have a AMD gpu but i want to look at vega) 

G sync and freesync help when you frame rate tank for whatever reason also reduces the possible input lag from V sync while avoiding tearing

I have 1440p 144hz Gsync but not IPS. Variable refresh rate is the newest advance in monitor tech and if you are going high end you should definately invest. I slightly regret not spending more and getting an IPS panel.

10 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

If you get more fps then your hz you dont need g-sync.

Aehhh..wrong.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Just now, Praesi said:

Aehhh..wrong.

You dont get that much screen tearing when you play at 144 hz and get 200 fps, i have a 180 hz and run game at 300 fps and i can barely see the screen tear

11 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

You dont get that much screen tearing when you play at 144 hz and get 200 fps, i have a 180 hz and run game at 300 fps and i can barely see the screen tear

Yeah, that another thing that the articles I mentioned before were saying. Games at high frame rates doesnt "behave in the screen" as games at 60fps do. So they stated that the tearing is almost unnoticeable. 

So taking into account that we want to spend only those 300€ if possible and that the IPS + G-Sync monitor adds 300-infinity €(because you can pay as much as you want now a days for a monitor hahaha), pretty much doubles the price. Is It worth the upgrade? Does the TN really suck that much? o.O (Well not suck, but theres really that much difference? Ive always used 1080p ISP pannels, So I cant really tell)

Just now, nickspacemonkey said:

No my TN doesn't suck, but you tend to get a more vibrant display with IPS and better viewing angles.

I have the Dell S2716DG.

Well I have a cheap laptop with a even cheaper TN display and the viewing angles suck a lot. I would say that I have a +-10º of vision angle from the perfect angle. But since Its a really cheap monitor It cant stand for the TN monitors since there are way better high quality monitors in the market.

13 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

Yeah, that another thing that the articles I mentioned before were saying. Games at high frame rates doesnt "behave in the screen" as games at 60fps do. So they stated that the tearing is almost unnoticeable. 

So taking into account that we want to spend only those 300€ if possible and that the IPS + G-Sync monitor adds 300-infinity €(because you can pay as much as you want now a days for a monitor hahaha), pretty much doubles the price. Is It worth the upgrade? Does the TN really suck that much? o.O (Well not suck, but theres really that much difference? Ive always used 1080p ISP pannels, So I cant really tell)

Once you played on a Gsync Display, you never want miss it again. I didnt regret it one second.

26 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

Maybe he want play demanding games and not only counter strike. 

@Praesi, @UMxMarky94, @nickspacemonkeyand @Bwithnewcast

Thank you all guys!

Now I have a better idea about G-Sync and, what I most care about I have more opinions about it! Anyway, Ill keep reading the post, obviously, and Ill apreciate any info/opnion you guys write n.n

P.D: now Im interested on any suggestion of 1440p + 144Hz + IPS + G-Sync monitor (yeah, the whole pack hehe)! Than you again!

2 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

@Praesi, @UMxMarky94, @nickspacemonkeyand @Bwithnewcast

Thank you all guys!

Now I have a better idea about G-Sync and, what I most care about I have more opinions about it! Anyway, Ill keep reading the post, obviously, and Ill apreciate any info/opnion you guys write n.n

P.D: now Im interested on any suggestion of 1440p + 144Hz + IPS + G-Sync monitor (yeah, the whole pack hehe)! Than you again!

pick your size

https://es.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&H=144,240&A=1&sort=a8&page=1

4 minutes ago, UMxMarky94 said:

You didnt check the IPS filter e.e. Thank you any way!

https://es.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&H=144,240&A=1&sort=a8&p=1

Heres the ones. There are a few of them, theres got to be more models D:

I'd wait a little while, Samsung recently announced a bunch of new Quantum Dot monitors, including 1440p 144hz HDR G-Sync goodies in both curved and non-curved, 27 and 31.5" flavours.

It does use a VA panel rather than IPS, but I believe Quantum Dot VA is about as good as IPS, if not a little better (better blacks and faster response, no IPS glow)

8 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

Size dosent matter ;)

does to some people =P

1 hour ago, UMxMarky94 said:

does to some people =P

It does for me. But the ppi difference between 27 and 24 at 1440p is not that much. So well pick depending on the desktop space.

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

g-sync ONLY if u have a nivida card but its more money u got to pay ips dose look better yes but like u said its 200 more

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat