Windows resizing/unorganising everything after fullscreening Steam

MrStormTrooper
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

Reason for this happening is that game is running at different resolution that desktop. So when fullscreen game launches, desktop resolution is set to same as games. And back when game is closed. One way to go around is to use window manager, another to run games in borderless windowed mode.

Windows 10 desktop pc, displayed on a 4K tv monitor.

Long story short, I set my desktop up in a particular fashion the way I like it, explorer windows a certain size & position and different programs arranged around so everything fits where I want it.

It might look cluttered and weird, but it works for me.

The problem arises when I play a Steam game in fullscreen mode, when I go back to the desktop, nothing is where it's supposed to be, explorer windows have been resized & moved, chrome has gone 50/50 split and other program windows have followed suit.

Is there anything that can stop everything moving because it's literally a 2 minute endeavour to fix all the windows again every time I fullscreen something and it's complete pain in the hole that I could really do without.

I've attached a before and after screengrabs for reference.

Thanks in advance

EDIT to add... "I should add actually that I didn't have this problem with my old 1080p tv, it's only started since I got the 4k one."

windows before.png

windows after.png

My PC:- Codename: DarthStorm | Corsair Carbide Spec-03 | Asus Z170-E Skylake | i7 6700k | Thermaltake Water 3.0 Cooler | 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3000MHz | GeForce GTX 970 Strix | 480Gb Sandisk Ultra II + 4Tb WD Blue | 750w Corsair Builder Series CX750M

This happens with me too. When I would play a game at 800x600, and the game doesn't close propperly, it will mess up my desktop/open programs. Sometimes this also happens when I press the windows key (or ALT+CTRL+DEL). Normal desktop resolution for me is 1280x1024, using windows 7 SP1. Had this same issue with windows XP. So me thinks it's just "windows behavior".

I should add actually that I didn't have this problem with my old 1080p tv, it's only started since I got the 4k one.

My PC:- Codename: DarthStorm | Corsair Carbide Spec-03 | Asus Z170-E Skylake | i7 6700k | Thermaltake Water 3.0 Cooler | 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3000MHz | GeForce GTX 970 Strix | 480Gb Sandisk Ultra II + 4Tb WD Blue | 750w Corsair Builder Series CX750M

Reason for this happening is that game is running at different resolution that desktop. So when fullscreen game launches, desktop resolution is set to same as games. And back when game is closed. One way to go around is to use window manager, another to run games in borderless windowed mode.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thanks for the reply, yes, upon further investigation it appears you are correct.

Windows is really fcuking retarded at times and I still haven't forgiven them for ruining Windows7 and forcing me onto 10.

I ended up finding a program called Actual Window Manager and while it's not perfect, it is the only solution I've had any level of success with so it's better than it was before at least.

Hey, at least I don't want to kick my pc in the face(plate) any more.

1 minute ago, MrStormTrooper said:

I ended up finding a program called Actual Window Manager and while it's not perfect, it is the only solution I've had any level of success with so it's better than it was before at least.

I use DisplayFusion, but I'm not so picky about window positions. As long as they stay maximized or not, and I can load icons from profile, its fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I use DisplayFusion, but I'm not so picky about window positions. As long as they stay maximized or not, and I can load icons from profile, its fine.

Yeah, it's the window position that's most important to me because it's a living room PC on a single large TV doing (or at least trying to do) the job of a multiple monitor setup.