1080 @ 93°C+

When I run the furmark GPU stress test with my MSI GTX 1080 Aero 8GB OC, the temperature reaches the mid 90s eith the fan at 100%, even with my case open. Is this normal? Looking at the founders edition temps on other forums, they only reach about 85 under the stress test, and the cooler seems similar. 

Any help, insight, or anecdotes are appreciated!

Core i5 7700K + Hyper 212 Evo

MSI Z270 Gaming M5

MSI GTX 1080 Aero 8GB OC

2×8GB Crucial Ballistix Elite @2666

Corsair TX650

Samsung 840 Evo 128GB

WD Blue 1TB

Zalman Z11

i suggest you try to change the thermal paste for the gpu, or send it back to rma. that is not normal.

pretty toasty. Does it improve much if you manually set GPU fan to 100%?

Its a blower style cooler on an OCed card, not abnormal

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

9 hours ago, Moress said:

Its a blower style cooler on an OCed card, not abnormal

So it isn't something I should worry about? As long as I cap frame rates? I got the card with the plan to watercool later. Should I replace the thermal paste anyway?

What is the ambient temperature?

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.5ghz | Mobo: Asus B85MG | RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB 1600Mhz | GPU: R9 390X 

SSD: Kingston 240GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W | Case: CIT Dominator + 6 Corsair AF120 Fans all around | 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TX3 | Monitor: BenQ XL2730z 144Mhz 1440p | 

Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE | Mouse: Razer DeatherAdder Chroma

1 hour ago, GonzoPoet said:

What is the ambient temperature?

Not certain, probably 65 - 70°F.

1 hour ago, liquidfracture said:

So it isn't something I should worry about? As long as I cap frame rates? I got the card with the plan to watercool later. Should I replace the thermal paste anyway?

It would void the warranty so decide if you want to rma it or do that first. Also you could turn down the thermal target in gpu boost. It decrease your performamce by a cpuple percent but that wouldnt matter too much. What are your temps in game btw, cause stress tests often get parts unnaturally hot

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

3 hours ago, Moress said:

It would void the warranty so decide if you want to rma it or do that first. Also you could turn down the thermal target in gpu boost. It decrease your performamce by a cpuple percent but that wouldnt matter too much. What are your temps in game btw, cause stress tests often get parts unnaturally hot

When I was playing R6 siege at uncapped framerates it was running similar temps, was thinking of turning on vsync in my games to stop it from running so hot. And it already is set to 83. As far as I understand it, that number means that the GPU won't boost unless the temp is under that target. My GPU wasn't boosting when it was heating that much in the furmark test. It just didn't thermal throttle at all. If there is a way to set it so it will thermal throttle when it reaches a certain temp?

That's way too hot. NVidia's max temp is set to 91c. Your card should throttle clocks and voltage once you hit 83c. Definitely something wrong with your card.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 hour ago, VagabondWraith said:

That's way too hot. NVidia's max temp is set to 91c. Your card should throttle clocks and voltage once you hit 83c. Definitely something wrong with your card.

Whelp, MSI support it is then. Thanks everyone!