Android 4.4 KikKat blocks rootkits

TopWargamer

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/android/317698-android-kitkat-blocks-rootkits-but-at-what-cost

Google has beefed up security in Android 4.4, KitKat to block malware from taking over user devices, but some of these changes may pose challenges for users who like to take control of their own security destiny.

The combination of two security features in KitKat will block malicious apps from gaining root access over the device, said Bogdan Botezatu, a senior threat analyst at Romanian security company BitDefender. In his analysis of Android KitKat, he determined that these features will also potentially make it harder for users to load custom firmware on the latest devices.

Users currently have to gain root so that they can flash the bootloader and install a custom ROM, such as CyanogenMod or Paranoid Android. Even the US military reportedly uses its own hardened version of Android on handsets deployed to its personnel.

"For security, the new features are absolutely critical. For users trying to update their devices on their own, the new features make things challenging," Botezatu said.

So this essentially means no more rooting on Android 4.4 KikKat...at least not for a while. Hopefully the tinckerers of the Android OS will find a way around this, because this really does suck and is no bueno. I know Google added in this feature to protect people from malware, but I'm sure they could have done it without blocking rootkits.

COMIC SANS

how would this affect current rooted phones?

Like if your phone is already rooted and you're upgrading from 4.3 or lower to 4.4? No idea. Hopefully it doesn't mess up your phone.

COMIC SANS

aaaaaaw and I'm getting a nexus 5 soon and was planning to root it :'(

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

CoD ghosts also had a stupid limit, I doubt it will take that long for someone to go and reverse engineer and get around this. Although it doesn't affect me too much, I use stock android

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I'm sure you might still be able to root the device but certain apps might not get the root access. Still though, it is up to google to decide which apps are malicious. I also believe Cyanogenmod is working on a new version for 4.4 so i think we'll still be able to root it.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I know Google added in this feature to protect people from malware...

HA!

oh google, I didn't know you cared  :rolleyes:

My Rigs (past and present)

The real problem is a phone cannot tell the difference between malware and someone trying to get Super User access to root their device. And google in reality cant either. It really is an all are allowed or none are world.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

People always find a way around this kind of thing.

Don't worry, rooting is still going to be around.

This doesn't look to be effecting rooting at all, the Nexus 5 was rooted pretty much immediately and its pretty easy to do.

HA!

oh google, I didn't know you cared  :rolleyes:

With the "post what you want" nature of the Play Store malware is a problem on Android phones and with people storing more and more information on their phones security in general has become a big thing for phones.

chainfire already gained root on the nexus 5 before its even released

dont worry guys

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

All this said, and I'm typing from a rooted nexus 7 running 4.4 kitkat

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Just to make sure people are aware, a rootkit isn't the same as a toolkit used for rooting phones. 4.4 has already been rooted. It's possible the nexus 5 has also been rooted.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

As long as your phone comes with an unlocked/unlockable bootloader everything will remain the same, all this will do is make it much harder, if not impossible, to get root on phones with locked bootloaders because those types of exploits are what's blocked off now. With the nexus 5 you'll be able to do whatever you want with it.

Intel i5 4670K | Asus z97 Deluxe | MSI GTX 1060 (6GB) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance |

120GB Samsung EVO - 480GB OCZ Solid III - 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda  | Corsair AX760

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | Razer Ouroboros

Like if your phone is already rooted and you're upgrading from 4.3 or lower to 4.4? No idea. Hopefully it doesn't mess up your phone.

It will remove the root kind of like when you upgrade from iOS 6.whatever to 7.0.

Don't ask me how I have a iPhone 4 I found it.

I think I heard that Google devices still allow rooting but on other devices running 4.4 it will block rooting (not entirely sure about this).

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Nah wont stay like that for long. There are people out there that will find this challenging and be disappointed at how easily they bypassed it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.