Any holes in my planned build?

Hello - new sign up looking for some advice / sign off as it has been a lot of years since i built a PC and the youtube channel and other sources have praised this board so thought i would seek your guidance.

Now the schmoozing is out of the way...

The build if is for med to high power gaming and is currently is planned as follows

CPU - Intel i5-7600k

Mem - 16GB corsair LPX vengeance 3000mhz 2x 8gb

Gfx - Asus ROG Strix gtx 1070

MB - Asus Strix ATX z270E 

Cooling - Corsair H100i AIO

PSU - Corsair VS550

HDD - probably some sort of seagate hybrid

Case - TBD

I plan on OC and think i have planned enough wiggle room in the parts to allow for that but i do have some initial questions i would like some guidance on also please point out any glaring issues as i have been saving money for over a year and id like to avoid component conflicts!

1. Is the PSU large enough? 550 is enough to run the pc at stock approx 330watts in total but i can't find any reliable data on power usage when OC'd

2. Are there any bottle necks straight out of the box that i will struggle with?

3. I literally CANNOT decide on a case...i have about 150GBP left in the budget and every case i read up on seems to have the same defect with regards to the AIO, they all seem to over hang the MB or don't fit properly. obviously given the ROG status and number of corsair parts RGB is important so a decent window is necessary.

many thanks in advance

I would recommend a 256GB SSD for the OS.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

A hyper 212 evo instead of a h100i, and a 7700k would be a better investment 

Thanks, i did look at the 7700k over the 7600k and other than the extra threads they looked remarkably similar. i will do some more research

9 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

I would recommend a 256GB SSD for the OS.

I do really want an SSD but i just can't stomach the prices at the moment, it is defiantly on my list of upgrades when the prices become more realistic for me tho 

5 minutes ago, RedShift7 said:

Thanks, i did look at the 7700k over the 7600k and other than the extra threads they looked remarkably similar. i will do some more research

I do really want an SSD but i just can't stomach the prices at the moment, it is defiantly on my list of upgrades when the prices become more realistic for me tho 

SSD is quite cheap now, with some 480GB one go for as low as $120. I myself bought one for $150 CAD just a month ago on Amazon

It really isnt worth going with a H100i with just an i5, so going down to a 212 Evo (I have one ATM, super silent) and put that money somewhere else might be better. You dont necessary need an i7. BTW if you buy a H100i You need some aftermarket fan too, the default fan of that one is noisy, I have one before.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

A better PSU

Take a tier 3 or above.

7 minutes ago, Megazero said:

It really isnt worth going with a H100i with just an i5, so going down to a 212 Evo (I have one ATM, super silent) and put that money somewhere else might be better. You dont necessary need an i7. BTW if you buy a H100i You need some aftermarket fan too, the default fan of that one is noisy, I have one before.

Does a fan cooler handle the temp difference from OC? i was lead to believe that a water cooler was needed if you OC as a fan would struggle with the added heat generated. 

the 212 evo doesn't look that big, i assume there are no compatibility issues? i have seen some CPU and they are Huge, seem to cover a large proportion of the motherboard thats all 

Just now, RedShift7 said:

Does a fan cooler handle the temp difference from OC? i was lead to believe that a water cooler was needed if you OC as a fan would struggle with the added heat generated. 

the 212 evo doesn't look that big, i assume there are no compatibility issues? i have seen some CPU and they are Huge, seem to cover a large proportion of the motherboard thats all 

You need water cooler if you are going to the higher end of the OC field, for example running at +500mhz clock 24/7. If you just do some minor tweak/OC, a good CPU cooler like the 212 Evo is perfect.

CPU are not huge, CPU is tiny. The 212 Evo itself can actually be quite big, but most if not all mid size ATX or larger case should be able to handle it. Do note that if you have a very tall ram it could not fit under the 212 Evo, but Corsair vengeance should be fine.

I suggest you take everything to PcPartPicker, it will even help check compability of your stuff for you. 

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Get a different power supply because the Corsair VS series are garbage. Don't spend big amounts of your budget on a high-end CPU and GPU and then cheap out on the PSU. I would get the Corsair CX550M at least.

Next up, you should get a i7 7700K w/ an air cooler instead of a i5 7600K w/ an expensive AIO. In this day and age, the benefits of having those extra threads truly shows in modern titles (Gears of War 4, Watch Dogs 2, Fallout 4, Battlefield 1 just to name a few). Higher minimum framerates and more consistent frametimes are the biggest benefit and a i7 7700K is going to give you a much more smoother gaming experience than a i5 7600K will. The idea of "i5s are just as good as i7s in gaming" is just a myth at this point.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

16 minutes ago, Megazero said:

You need water cooler if you are going to the higher end of the OC field, for example running at +500mhz clock 24/7. If you just do some minor tweak/OC, a good CPU cooler like the 212 Evo is perfect.

CPU are not huge, CPU is tiny. The 212 Evo itself can actually be quite big, but most if not all mid size ATX or larger case should be able to handle it. Do note that if you have a very tall ram it could not fit under the 212 Evo, but Corsair vengeance should be fine.

I suggest you take everything to PcPartPicker, it will even help check compability of your stuff for you. 

Thank for the advice ill definitely review my cooling choice!

14 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Get a different power supply because the Corsair VS series are garbage. Don't spend big amounts of your budget on a high-end CPU and GPU and then cheap out on the PSU. I would get the Corsair CX550M at least.

Next up, you should get a i7 7700K w/ an air cooler instead of a i5 7600K w/ an expensive AIO. In this day and age, the benefits of having those extra threads truly shows in modern titles (Gears of War 4, Watch Dogs 2, Fallout 4, Battlefield 1 just to name a few). Higher minimum framerates and more consistent frametimes are the biggest benefit and a i7 7700K is going to give you a much more smoother gaming experience than a i5 7600K will. The idea of "i5s are just as good as i7s in gaming" is just a myth at this point.

See im so glad i asked this now, i was under the impression that 550 watts were 550 watts! Guess I'm going to have to take another look at the 7700k as well. 

1 minute ago, RedShift7 said:

Watercoolers just move the heat using water to a radiator which is cooled by fans. It's about the surface you have to spread out the heat. 

First thanks agian for all the advice

I've updated my parts list as follows

CPU - Intel i7-7700k - £327.00

Mem - 16GB corsair LPX vengeance 3000mhz 2x 8gb - £83.33

Gfx - Asus ROG Strix gtx 1070 - £400.00

MB - Asus Strix ATX z270E - £198.99

Cooling - Cooler Master 212 Hyper - £25.97

PSU - Corsair CX550M - £60.94

HDD - SanDisk SSD PLUS 480GB - 116.51

Case - Still TBD

Sub Total - £1212.74

- $1987.79 CAN

- $1475.66 US

Price has eaten in to my budget a bit but it certainly seems like a better rig over all.