AMD Ryzen "Quad-Core" Config Tested vs i7-7700k

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

But how do you know that games will be able to use this additional 50%?

So they did market it as...

No... It was never originally marketed as the perfect gaming CPU.

Also... You have to see it this way. There is NO way in hell Intel is going to release the next generation as the typical 2c/4t i3, 4c/4t i5 and 4c/8t i7. They could... but it would be stupid. 

A BIG sign of this is the Pentium G4560. They basically killed the i3 lineup with that. So the i3 lineup has to be a 4c/4t next gen and the i5 lineup will be killed... so they have to make the i5 lineup a 4c/8t which will kill the i7 lineup and that has to be at minimum a 6c/12t. Because a 6c/6t would technically have lower single threaded performance of a 4c/8t CPU.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

This is why I wish school computer classes still taught the fundamentals of how processors complete different instructions and what the different clocks cycles within a system do. There would be a lot less arguing and confusion on IPC performance as well, multi threaded work loads and single threaded work loads.

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

??

5 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Originally marketed it as.

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

A BIG sign of this is the Pentium G4560. They basically killed the i3 lineup with that. So the i3 lineup has to be a 4c/4t next gen and the i5 lineup will be killed... so they have to make the i5 lineup a 4c/8t which will kill the i7 lineup and that has to be at minimum a 6c/12t. Because a 6c/6t would technically have lower single threaded performance of a 4c/8t CPU.

This would make sense...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

14 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Eh, I think 6 cores will be a happy medium specially since apparently without those other 2 cores it will probably clock significantly higher making up for enough of the IPC disadvantage that it would make sense. At least I hope that ends up being the case.

Reducing core count only reduces thermal load on the cooling, which doesn't seem to be the limiting factor at all since the 4Ghz ceiling is reached on even mediocre cooling solutions.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

23 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Ehm.. some of you need to notice something. Ryzen excels in what they originally marketed it as. Broadwell-E IPC and multi-threaded workloads at a much lower cost.

Also there are issues right now... be it we ALL expected issues with AM4. It is a new platform and a brand new architecture. Jay stated this a little bit before launch date. Once these issues are fixed... the 1700 will be MUCH closer to the 6700k in terms of performance. Also... while multitasking ect.. the 1700 could see smoother frame rate while gaming. Most of these benchmarks are done on near fresh installs of W10 with little to no background applications running.

To name the two major issues... W10 Scheduler seeing the 16T's as cores and not threads and RAM having issues at higher speeds. These 2 are the main culprits of it and also... The 1700 has much more head room. In the long term, if you expect to keep this CPU for 2+ years the 1700 will likely be the better buy. In programs like Cinebench where it utilizes the threads correctly despite the issue show how much potential Ryzen has as it clearly is on-par with the 6900k. If IPC was that far behind, it would be losing to the 6900k in multi-threaded work loads.

I'm not arguing that at all, in fact i don't care about how good a deal Ryzen is in multi-tasking for the price because i already knew that hahaha; this entire "i5 in gaming" has only been about, look at that, gaming.
No matter how good Ryzen is in other tasks it will NEVER subtract from it's performance in gaming.
And before you type in your keyboard "Well other people do more than gaming" I don't care, i don't care how it was marketed, what else Ryzen can do besides gaming, or how good it is in Cinebench; that's never been my argument and that's not been why it's been compared to the i5.

I do hope the 1700 is better with a little time but right now? It's not, at all.
I don't care about a lack of results and hope for the future; i'm criticizing Ryzen in gaming, today.

No, yeah, the 1700 is a good deal compared to the 6900k and it should b doing better, but it's not.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

long fucking sigh

The R7 series was touted as a great rendering CPU that could easily hold its own in gaming. It does that sensibly well, IMO.

Compared to the 5960X (hell, even the 6900K, which is basically an OC'd 5960X), which it should be compared to, the R7 1700 holds its own really well while being a full 67% cheaper. That's insane when you think about it. The guys complaining about this are really the ones who would rather own an i7-7700K to begin with because they only game.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

29 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Reducing core count only reduces thermal load on the cooling, which doesn't seem to be the limiting factor at all since the 4Ghz ceiling is reached on even mediocre cooling solutions.

Then why are the announced 6 core parts clocked noticeably higher from factory? Probably just better chances at good bins since you're dealing with less cores? Because that would make sense but well, the end result in either case it's higher clocks and a tad of an IPC advantage is it not?

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Then why are the announced 6 core parts clocked noticeably higher from factory? Probably just better chances at good bins since you're dealing with less cores? Because that would make sense but well, the end result in either case it's higher clocks and a tad of an IPC advantage is it not?

Link me to the 6 core clock specs?  If it's still < 4.1Ghz on turbo then they're probably just clocking them closer to the limit to mask the single core performance not being great.

I doubt they're spinning different silicon for 8 core 6 core and 4 core.  All the litho and running multiple product lines would increase their costs.  If they were doing more die per wafer with a 6 core design, then in theory they could have more die available to bin with, but it seems even the top chips can't do more than 4.1Ghz with 3.9 on all cores being a more realistic average.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Why did it matter if it was originally or not? It was recently marketed as the "dream gaming" cpu.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

But what will happen when Nvidia's Volta launches? The GTX 2080 Ti (or however they decide to call it) will be 2x more powerful than the GTX 1080, so Ryzen will struggle to keep up at 1440p, just like it struggles right now at 1080p...

By then they'll have updated the Ryzen line I'm sure. You've several times that you don't have a crystal ball to see into the future when people have made assumptions about performance, and yet here you are doing the same thing.

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, you don't buy a CPU only to replace it after 2 years because it doesn't perform well in games anymore...

I replace my PC every 3 years. So, it's really not far off of what I do, and what quite a few of my friends do.

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

I'm personally hoping they get these "Windows bugs" sorted out (if that's even real) for the 8-cores because I would like one. As it sits right now though the i7 seems like a better value for me.

I don't believe (at least as far as gaming goes) that the Windows issue will see any large increase in frame rates, if Jayztwocents video showed anything.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

-snip-

Yeah the 7700K is a formula one car. It dominates on the race track. But no, people don't drive on race tracks. We'd much rather have something more practical for everyday use. Ryzen may not be some supercar but it is definitely no slouch, able to haul some serious work.

I don't really get your comparison here. It'd make sense if the prices were considerably different, but you can get a(n albeit lower tier) Ryzen CPU for less than a 7700k. Both are practical for every day use. One is better at serious work, for sure, but  I wouldn't say that's every day use for the average user in the slightest.

59 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I think this is WCCFs write up of the test...  If this is correct, as a part of the testing, they disabled half of the L3 cache to make it a 4 core 8MB L3 system.  Of course as a part of the test, they also set the Clock speeds of the modified R7 and 7700k equivalent, so it is more of an IPC comparison...  Intel still has a slight IPC edge (although probably not as comfortable as they would like) and can still reach higher effective clock speeds, which is where the 7700k does shine.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-4-core-benchmarks-intel-core-i7-7700k/

Thanks for that, much more informing than a website in another language.

It'll be interesting to see if it performs close to what these results show.

8 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

-snip-
I do hope the 1700 is better with a little time but right now? It's not, at all.
I don't care about a lack of results and hope for the future; i'm criticizing Ryzen in gaming, today.

No, yeah, the 1700 is a good deal compared to the 6900k and it should b doing better, but it's not.

I find it odd that so many people find the maybe 10ish frames less Ryzen gets to be such a huge issue. When the lower tier chips are released, even if they are the same percentage behind their competition tier, they destroy it when it comes to price (likely, seeing as the leaked pricing for the R7 line was pretty much spot on).

Price to performance is not something to be ignored.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

By then they'll have updated the Ryzen line I'm sure. You've several times that you don't have a crystal ball to see into the future when people have made assumptions about performance, and yet here you are doing the same thing.

Look at 1060(which performs like a 980) vs 1080 Ti benchmarks... This is what Nvidia does, the 2080 Ti will be at least 50% faster than the 1080.....

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

I replace my PC every 3 years. So, it's really not far off of what I do, and what quite a few of my friends do.

You are the exception rather than the rule :D

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

Exactly. With the i7, you are getting amazing performance. With Ryzen you are getting decent performance for an amazing price!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

9 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I know math probably hurts your brain, but a 5Ghz 7700K (which is an average overclock) that's 25% better IPC means an 1800X would have to clock to 6.25Ghz to compete single thread.  Since 4Ghz is where it tops out, 6.25/4 = 56% better IPC at overclock.

You keep saying IPC, when I think you mean single-core performance.  Let's go through what that acronym means:  Instructions Per Clock.  Words mean things.  IPC is independent of clock speed, since it is by definition the number of things (instructions) the CPU can accomplish every clock cycle.

So yes, a 7700k has better IPC and clocks higher, which makes it have better single-threaded performance.  It does more things each clock cycle, and it clocks 25% faster, so it does more things.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

20 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Look at 1060(which performs like a 980) vs 1080 Ti benchmarks... This is what Nvidia does, the 2080 Ti will be at least 50% faster than the 1080.....

That is if history repeats itself. Also you don't know that it'll be called a 2080 Ti.. and if it is it won't be released the same day the 2080 is. Or month, or quarter. They'll release the stupid $1,000-$1,200 Titan and milk that for 6-8 months, tease the 1080Ti for a month and then release it. 

Also.. Vega. Is not something to ignore. AMD would be incredibly stupid to release an architecture a year after Pascal for it to only be "on-par" with it. The 590 will likely have to be 1080Ti performance As the next XX70 card will be near it. The 580 will have to be 1080 performance as the XX60 card will likely be near it. As for the 590x or whatever succeeds the Fury lineup.. who knows. Your assumptions make sense with what history has done but you cannot just assume they are going to repeat it.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

26 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

That's irrelevant to what you were trying to say about bottlenecks Ryzen would give.

24 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Exactly. With the i7, you are getting amazing performance. With Ryzen you are getting decent performance for an amazing price!

Depends what you're doing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

59 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I find it odd that so many people find the maybe 10ish frames less Ryzen gets to be such a huge issue. When the lower tier chips are released, even if they are the same percentage behind their competition tier, they destroy it when it comes to price (likely, seeing as the leaked pricing for the R7 line was pretty much spot on).

No i don't find it to be a huge issue at all.
Ryzen's great, even if in gaming it's not performing as great as a 7700k (competition at same price point as lowest Ryzen offering) or more comparable 6900k (competition at same core-count and frequency).
I'm just not willing to ignore, and can fully accept, the fact that Ryzen DOES perform quite a bit below those chips in the large majority of benchmarks.
The price to performance of Ryzen is great; without a doubt.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That's irrelevant to what you were trying to say about bottlenecks Ryzen would give.

If Ryzen bottlenecks a 1080, would it not bottleneck a 2080 Ti?

50 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

And yet, you knew what I meant anyways so your entire point is moot.  Check and mate.

I feel like I should type "your bad" just to trigger you for your vs. you're.

If you're going to troll, at least be a good one.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

(After watching Jay's video)

Oh no my workstation CPU can only pull 200 FPS in DOOM. Must be bad for gaming!

ps. First world problems.

26 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

(After watching Jay's video)

Oh no my workstation CPU can only pull 200 FPS in DOOM. Must be bad for gaming!

ps. First world problems.

Wasn't his entire point that it's not bad for gaming? It's just not the best there is for gaming. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Wasn't his entire point that it's not bad for gaming? It's just not the best there is for gaming. 

His point was that the R7 is better at gaming than the 7700k is at being a workstation processor.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Fairly much... I think it was closer to a subjective look of in his opinion while playing games it doesn't provide a noticeably worse gaming experience.

5 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

And by really good you mean 50% worse than Intel when the poor overclocking and inferior IPC are taken into account?

50 percent less? Jesus. What are you smoking and is it even legal?

5 minutes ago, TechGod said:

50 percent less? Jesus. What are you smoking and is it even legal?

50 is the new 25.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

If you are happy with 60fps, then Ryzen is good enough, I doubt that games in the future would be that much more demanding on single threads, games are demanding enough on the CPU as they are today, and with Vulkan/DX12 more of the work will likely be better loaded on the GPU. Unless, of course, you are playing ashes of the singularity, which in that case you need an overclocked 6900k to get 60fps xD 

6 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Also.. Vega. Is not something to ignore. AMD would be incredibly stupid to release an architecture a year after Pascal for it to only be "on-par" with it. The 590 will likely have to be 1080Ti performance 

It will be 1080 ti performance... In like 2 years after release xD 
I think that Navi will be AMDs next hit architecture. If you look at AMD's perf/watt roadmaps, Vega doesn't look all that impressive, but Navi definitely looks promising. I think Vega will only be good in memory/tessellation heavy scenarios based on what AMD has shown us.

6 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

The 590

You mean RX Vega

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Oh yeah, I'm sorry that's the impression I got of the people Jay was referring to.