Bell Fibe download speed DOUBLED when using wrt3200acm as router

tl;dr : My internet speed doubled when I setup my new router running dd wrt firmware, I wanna know how I might be able to limit the speed if Bell gives me trouble about it. i.e: what types of settings would do that

I have Bell Fibe internet 150/50 with the Home Hub 3000. I was becoming increasing frustrated with the poor implementation of UPnP on the home hub always leaving me with a strict NAT (Roomate is constantly gaming), so I did some research and found that the custom firmware DD WRT has amazing upnp. So i went to my local best buy and bought the only router that they had in stock that is officially supported by the firmware; The Linksys WRT3200ACM.

The connection was simple, I plugged the included ethernet into the wan port of the Linksys and the other end in the lan port of the Home Hub and plugged my pc into the lan port of the Linksys, disabled the WIFI on the home hub and input the PPPoE login information.

Bam I'm online! But heres the weird thing: Normally with the home hub, my speedtest would give me 190/60 (Which is more than fast enough to do what I want to do.). With the Linksys I get 340/120. If Bell notices this, and decides to contact me about it claiming that I'm stealing internet, I want to know how I could limit my speed back to 190/60.

11 minutes ago, MrDavid said:

tl;dr : My internet speed doubled when I setup my new router running dd wrt firmware, I wanna know how I might be able to limit the speed if Bell gives me trouble about it. i.e: what types of settings would do that

I have Bell Fibe internet 150/50 with the Home Hub 3000. I was becoming increasing frustrated with the poor implementation of UPnP on the home hub always leaving me with a strict NAT (Roomate is constantly gaming), so I did some research and found that the custom firmware DD WRT has amazing upnp. So i went to my local best buy and bought the only router that they had in stock that is officially supported by the firmware; The Linksys WRT3200ACM.

The connection was simple, I plugged the included ethernet into the wan port of the Linksys and the other end in the lan port of the Home Hub and plugged my pc into the lan port of the Linksys, disabled the WIFI on the home hub and input the PPPoE login information.

Bam I'm online! But heres the weird thing: Normally with the home hub, my speedtest would give me 190/60 (Which is more than fast enough to do what I want to do.). With the Linksys I get 340/120. If Bell notices this, and decides to contact me about it claiming that I'm stealing internet, I want to know how I could limit my speed back to 190/60.

I never had a problem with the bell modem/router. 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

You're not stealing internet, don't be ridiculous. It's not uncommon to get vastly more/less than what you're paying for and, if more is what you're getting, just be happy about it while it lasts. In urban areas, infrastructure can be somewhat temporal. In my area, Charter used to only offer 30/10. I was paying for 30/10 for a good while until one day I started getting 60/xx. It just so happened they upgraded their infrastructure and added new tiers to their plans. Now, I'm back down to 40-50 depending on time of day.

[ Intel i7-6700K ][ Asus TUF Sabertooth Mk1 Z170 ][ Gigabyte GTX 780ti ][ 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z ][ Corsair Obsidian 900D ]

[ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM ][ 1x512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 (OS) ][ 3x512GB Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 ][ 1x5TB WD Black ]

16 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

I never had a problem with the bell modem/router. 

Most people don't as they don't typically have gaming ports such as 3074 in use by multiple users on the same network at the same time. If you google destiny NAT type you'll come across tons of people having issues when the try to run two systems on the same network together. last night my roommate was playing rainbow Six siege on his Xbox with his friends and I was trying to play ghost recon Wildlands with my friend. He had a moderate connection and I had strict. I restarted the modem and my network adapter and my whole system a number of times before getting a moderate NAT. I had similar issues when my friend came over with his Xbox for us to play destiny together and I am just done fighting with that. With this new modem, the NAT type was open on all devices without any trouble at all

Don't worry about it. If they care, they'll throttle you from their end. 

Yeah it's their problem to limit the bandwidth, not yours. They can't do anything other than put it back to normal if they find about it. The bandwith limitation by bell seems to be very different from case to case. I've read about people getting about 1.25Gbps (SFP maximum) on a gigabit plan by pulling the SFP module out of the home hub and putting it in a more appropriate router.