Can I use two 3pin fans on a single 4pin cpu header?

next_ngl

Hello,

I have a CoolerMaster T4 and I want to replace the stock fan with two push-pull cooler master sickleflow 120 fans, that I got unused. However they are 3pin. On CoolerMaster's site and customer' reviews, it's said that they suitable for cpu cooler heatsinks and I also watched Linus' video where he said it's ok to have push pull as long the fans keep good pressure and airflow, which these should. I also have a 3pin Y splitter. Is it a good idea to have these two 3 pin fans connected with a Y splitter to the 4 pin cpu header?

I've read about the 4pin PWM and 3pin voltages and etc, but I didn't find a clear answer if should i go for it? Is push pull worth it? or should I just keep the stock fan and don't bother it, maybe change the thermal paste or clear dust.

23 minutes ago, next_ngl said:

I've read about the 4pin PWM and 3pin voltages and etc, but I didn't find a clear answer if should i go for it? Is push pull worth it? or should I just keep the stock fan and don't bother it, maybe change the thermal paste or clear dust.

Your board should auto pick up that you are using 3pin fans instead of PWM ones. I would try to get two PWM fans instead if possible though.

I've run multiple three pin fans from a 4pin header without any issues though.

2 hours ago, next_ngl said:

The 4pin pwm header will supply a constant 12v signal which means 3pin fans will run at 100%. Depending on the motherboard and header, it may support both pwm and dc control and 4pin headers don't necessarily support pwm.

Sickleflows are mediocre at best anyway, and there won't be much benefit if any swapping out the stock fan for them. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 4pin pwm header will supply a constant 12v signal which means 3pin fans will run at 100%. Depending on the motherboard and header, it may support both pwm and dc control and 4pin headers don't necessarily support pwm.

Sickleflows are mediocre at best anyway, and there won't be much benefit if any swapping out the stock fan for them. 

The T4's fan is loud and the sickleflows are silent and I have them already, don't want to waste money. My mobo is asus z87m plus and has support for 3pin fan control by voltage.. don't know the term for that.. so it won't run at full speed. T4's fan is 1800RPM, CFM 70 and up to 32db noise. While the sickleflows are 1800-2000 PRM, CFM 70 and 20db. I find them pretty nice. My question is if they're good enough to replace my T4's fan and if their 3pin connectors are a problem

2 minutes ago, next_ngl said:

The T4's fan is loud and the sickleflows are silent and I have them already, don't want to waste money. My mobo is asus z87m plus and has support for 3pin fan control by voltage.. don't know the term for that.. so it won't run at full speed. T4's fan is 1800RPM, CFM 70 and up to 32db noise. While the sickleflows are 1800-2000 PRM, CFM 70 and 20db. I find them pretty nice. My question is if they're good enough to replace my T4's fan and if their 3pin connectors are a problem

If you like them, go ahead and use them. It won't be much of a difference.

There's no regulation on how fan specs are measured and they are for the most part, bull--look at benchmarks and in-depth reviews instead. Sickleflows are a prime example of that.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.