1700 vs 1700x vs 1800x

other than the slightly faster clock speed, what are the benefits, it seems like the 1700 would be the best because of the significantly lower power consumption,  but its also the cheapest.

not sure what to get

It's pretty straight forward, if you go up it's faster but draws more power. It depends on your budget and use case.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Im not planning on any OC,   mostly productive stuff,  so I should get the 1700?

Just now, Bondy3 said:

Im not planning on any OC,   mostly productive stuff,  so I should get the 1700?

yup 1700 is good enough. 

I will also be playing some Vive games,  will the 1700 do alright powering the htc vive? (single gtx 1080)

get the 1700 and OVERCLOCK IT, the money you save easily covers the cost of a good cooler and it will overclock to basically the same as the 1800x and perform pretty much the same (within 5%), Gamers Nexus just posted a video review for it

2 minutes ago, Bondy3 said:

other than the slightly faster clock speed, what are the benefits, it seems like the 1700 would be the best because of the significantly lower power consumption,  but its also the cheapest.

not sure what to get

Power consumption is linked to frequencies and voltages. So there are essentially two differences that I'm aware of:

- base clocks, i.e., the choice between guaranteed clocks and playing a (mild) silicon lottery

- XFR of 100MHz vs 50MHz (not sure I'd even care about XFR at all with those levels).

I'm increasingly convinced that nothing but the 1700 makes sense unless you don't plan to overclock, but it will take more time and overclocking experiences to be more certain.

2 minutes ago, Bondy3 said:

it should be enough, yes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Bondy3 said:

I will also be playing some Vive games,  will the 1700 do alright powering the htc vive? (single gtx 1080)

1700 is bit below a 6900k and a bit above a 6800k. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

1700 is bit below a 6900k and a bit above a 6800k. 

is the 1700x or 1800x as good as the 6900k?

23 minutes ago, Bondy3 said:

is the 1700x or 1800x as good as the 6900k?

1800x is about the same as a 6900k, if you are willing to overclock all three seem to have a limit of 3.9-40Ghz so you can save money and get the lower end one and just OC it to what the others can do.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc