Processor overheating, might need a new one and looking for suggestions

I have an old AMD processor, an FX-4300. I've cleaned out the heat sink and redid the thermal paste. The fan on the heat sink btw is very noisy and doesn't go super fast like i'm sure it's supposed to, but i'm not as worried about it as I am about how quickly the processor heats up. From pressing the power button, it takes about as long as it takes for Windows to boot up before it gets nearly too hot to touch the heat sink. It heats up VERY quickly, and shuts down quickly because of it. I'm sure part of it is that the fan on the processor is garbage at this point, but the heat sink itself gets hot way too quickly. I'm guessing it's something to do with the processor just being old and crappy though.

I got a free GTX 1060 so I already put that in there but the motherboard is still an older MSI model (i'm not sure what specifically it is, I didn't build this PC) so i'm not sure if it can overclock. (as an aside, the PC just turned itself off while I was typing this, so you can tell it's in bad shape. Luckily i'm on a different PC right now) I'm too broke to get a motherboard AND a processor, so just to be safe i'm probably not going to worry about overclocking. What would be the best CPU for me? I want to bottleneck my GPU as little as possible but even spending $200 on a processor is a little steep right now (but i'm willing to do it if it's my best option)

I just need to know what would be the best processor around $200 for me. I'm guessing it'd be an i5, but I've learned from Linus's coverage of the Ryzen line that Intel have processors that beat out the performance of their OWN processors for cheaper. So if you guys don't mind helping me out in finding the biggest bang for my buck as I can, something that will pair with a GTX 1060 without bottle necking too much at an affordable cost.

3 minutes ago, Kirikoza said:

What would be the best CPU for me? I want to bottleneck my GPU as little as possible but even spending $200 on a processor is a little steep right now (but i'm willing to do it if it's my best option)

Spend a bit more and get this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Spend a bit more and get this:

wish I could mate

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, Kirikoza said:

That's a lot more likely yeah lmao. If there's anything better or comparable to that one for cheaper let me know though.

If you want to get used parts, you might be able to get an i7-4790K for around the same price... If you don't the 7500 is the best CPU for the money! If you want to wait for Ryzen 5, you can. But TBH, I don't think that gaming performance will be amazing... I mean their Ryzen 7 CPUs compete with i5s in games, so their Ryzen 5 CPUs will be even slower...

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If you want to get used parts, you might be able to get an i7-4790K for around the same price... If you don't the 7500 is the best CPU for the money! If you want to wait for Ryzen 5, you can. But TBH, I don't think that gaming performance will be amazing... I mean their Ryzen 7 CPUs compete with i5s in games, so their Ryzen 5 CPUs will be even slower...

Fair enough. Also i'm not big on taking older parts unless it's something that won't impact performance much, if at all (such as power supplies and all of those components) so i'll probably just get the 7500. Thanks though!

Well, there's a 7400 for a bit less, though shipping may eat up some of the cost savings https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=I5-7400&c=CJ

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

yea, either R5 or R3 sould be in his budget, I would say R5 and R3 might have a higher or similar clock speed though, which for gaming will be good, especially for a much cheaper price (I haven't looked into it though), which could be able to good for gaming and other things. that being said that's all this be false and not happen

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Just now, Kirikoza said:

Fair enough. Also i'm not big on taking older parts unless it's something that won't impact performance much, if at all (such as power supplies and all of those components) so i'll probably just get the 7500. Thanks though!

Np :D

The 4790K will outperform the 7500 in games! The only problem is that you have to get it used. 

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

yea, either R5 or R3 sould be in his budget, I would say R5 and R3 might have a higher or similar clock speed though, which for gaming will be good, especially for a much cheaper price (I haven't looked into it though), which could be able to good for gaming and other things. that being said that's all this be false and not happen

TBH, I am pretty sure that this i5 will be better. IPC is still king for gaming and Ryzen 6 core CPUs seem to lack both the IPC and the clock speed to compete with Sky/Kabylake...

TBH, I am pretty sure that this i5 will be better. IPC is still king for gaming and Ryzen 6 core CPUs seem to lack both the IPC and the clock speed to compete with Sky/Kabylake...

aye suppose, that also being said you never know, I hope we're both wrong and these 6 cores are, but who knows, probably worse. I was thinking with intel, the more cores you have the lower the frequency, and I was thinking something similar might happen here. maybe

And more, several more

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

aye suppose, that also being said you never know, I hope we're both wrong and these 6 cores are, but who knows, probably worse. I was thinking with intel, the more cores you have the lower the frequency, and I was thinking something similar might happen here. maybe

Actually, some games can use 6 cores, but the majority of games can't, unfortunately :(

Go with the 7500.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Actually, some games can use 6 cores, but the majority of games can't, unfortunately :(

give it time, as ryzen becomes more mainstream and game developers start using them and/or making games run on them better (can't remember what that's called at the moment), but yea 6 core gaming will probably start coming in soon as these CPUs become more mainstream and more common

And more, several more

You can get a brand new i3 6100 for $88 USD from Fry's Electronics. It would be a big increase in performance over your FX-4300.