This server any good

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

Let me ask you this, how do you feel about noise? Like lots of noise?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:07 PM, Lurick said:

Let me ask you this, how do you feel about noise? Like lots of noise?

Fine by me, I have a shed with internet.

15 minutes ago, Joelsome2211 said:

Fine by me, I have a shed with internet.

Then I would try to find a 2900 series Dell server at the least, 2950s are good but the 2900 towers aren't bad either.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, Lurick said:

Then I would try to find a 2900 series Dell server at the least, 2950s are good but the 2900 towers aren't bad either.

Ok. Is there a way of chaining old PC together to make a half decent one? I have a couple of old PCs which are single core.

39 minutes ago, Joelsome2211 said:

Ok. Is there a way of chaining old PC together to make a half decent one? I have a couple of old PCs which are single core.

No, not really.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 05/03/2017 at 11:06 PM, Joelsome2211 said:

So I need a server for surveylance of my grain sheds and farm, for doing temperature monitoring and also to run a nas for my home. There is a catch though, I need it for under 50 quid plus shipping (excluding software). I don't want to get any monthly fee things either. I was looking at this server on eBay: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-2650-PowerEdge-SMP01-2U-Rack-mount-Server-COA-Windows-server-Standard2003-/272513613941?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Will that work? Also what software should I run? A detailed guide would be very helpful. 

Build a FreeNAS box.

the OS is free.

NAS is solid

You can install a Unifi Docker container

This server comes in at around a hundred quid

http://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/hp_tower_servers/819185-421

However you will need to do some research on the drives you need.

I do not recommend using used Hard Drives for your NAS.

WD Purple are meant for surveillance

WD Reds are made for NAS

I do think the Reds will be okay though.

13 minutes ago, Joelsome2211 said:

it will work fine, but its probably going to go for much for than your budget, its still being bit on.

You can always try to find a cheap used laptop. They make for a good servers because of everything already included in terms of hardware AND you get a free UPS built-in :)

This will be very slow due to the specs and there might not be enough power. If you wouldn't be using this often and leaving it to store things over time that fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2017 at 10:25 AM, Verrm said:

You can always try to find a cheap used laptop. They make for a good servers because of everything already included in terms of hardware AND you get a free UPS built-in :)

I have an old 160gb laptop, but how can that be expanded with more storage?

Find on youtube or iFixit how to disassemble your laptop. Buy a new HDD, just read in internet how big HDD it will support, and change it with 160gb you already have. You can also always buy external USB HDDs. Take also into acocunt that some laptops have eSATA which helps!

On 10/04/2017 at 8:13 AM, Verrm said:

Find on youtube or iFixit how to disassemble your laptop. Buy a new HDD, just read in internet how big HDD it will support, and change it with 160gb you already have. You can also always buy external USB HDDs. Take also into acocunt that some laptops have eSATA which helps!

1 problem... I can't find a hint at my laptops existence anywhere online.  It's an x10-tp... I think. I have tried to access the hdd already but I think the back is glued on. Also the laptop has a single core 1.66ghz atom, 2gb or ram and I gpu.  And it's 10 or 11inch (haven't used for ages since upgrading to desktop master race ?)

Try to see if you can remove keyboard from top. Some laptops (like mine) have a little leverages or a switch that you must move in order to be able to lift the keyboard. When you lift the keyboard gently and remove the tape connecting it to motherboard in some laptops there are screws that upon unscrewing let you lift backplate on the bottom of it. Maybe you should try that. It works like this in my case.

Try some things out - you should be thinking that "If a manufacturer prepared a laptop with a warranty - he needs to be able to fix it when it is not working properly. This means that they must be able to disassemble it!". Then you can search for ways to disassemble popular laptops and see if it works for your laptop.