a look at (ry)Zen's IPC - from Excavator to KabyLake

zMeul
Just now, zMeul said:

If you are on a tight budget, the Intel Core i7 7700K

In what world is an i7 7700K a tight budget option? lol. Beside the point but found that funny, highest possible i7 desktop SKU being budget :P.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

In what world is an i7 7700K a tight budget option? lol. Beside the point but found that funny, highest possible i7 desktop SKU being budget :P.

sadly for AMD, it's the truth

both 1800X and 1700X are more expensive than a 7700K, a regular R7 1700 is slightly cheaper than a 7700K

17 hours ago, zMeul said:

BS logic, if you look at those benches, i3s and Pentiums perform similarly ... so why pay for Ryzen?!

look, sir, you are obviously determined, no matter what we say, to hate on ryzen. windows 10 is much more lighweight than windows 7, ryzen 7 was not meant for gaming, it was meant for a workstation, so designed for video editing, which favours cores over clockspeed

16 minutes ago, baconbuilder99 said:

ryzen 7 was not meant for gaming

Tell that to Lisa Su. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

18 minutes ago, baconbuilder99 said:

ryzen 7 was not meant for gaming

@Zmeul Imagine the exitement if zen really was a fail. /S

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

is Ryzen good for SolidWorks? Puget Systems sais no: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-908/

pic_disp.php?id=42008&width=650

pic_disp.php?id=42007&width=650

pic_disp.php?id=42009&width=701

If you are looking for a short answer as to whether or not AMD Ryzen is a good fit for SOLIDWORKS, we would have to say "no". The Ryzen CPUs did extremely well in our rendering testing (easily beating the i7 6850K and matching the i7 6900K), but otherwise the performance was disappointing. In general modeling tasks, Ryzen fell far behind the Intel Core i7 7700K - performing on average about 35-40% slower. Simulations was a bit better but even then Ryzen was ~20% slower than the i7 7700K.

If you do a significant amount of rendering in SOLIDWORKS, Ryzen might be a good choice if you are on a tight budget but anyone doing that amount of rendering can likely either justify purchasing the faster and more expensive i7 6950X or will be using a GPU-based rendering engine like SW Visualize to get faster render times by leveraging the power of their GPU. For the vast majority of SW users, it is clear that you should stick with the Intel Core i7 7700K. Not only is it less expensive and uses less power (so it should run both cooler and quieter), it is also much faster for everything short of rendering.

On 3/4/2017 at 6:00 AM, zMeul said:

what?!

the use case in your discussion was games, right

it's already established it performs like an i5 in gaming, so why not buy an i5? it's cheaper? yes!

hell, for that saved difference you can go with a better video card, more RAM, larger storage, bigger monitor ... you name it

why would you pay more when the use case scenario can be achieved for less - the same, I repeat, the same is the marketing behind Ryzen: why pay for a Broadwell-E when you can achieve the same with less money?

it's valid to be the cheaper alternative only when AMD sais it, or when it actually makes sense!?

what happens when the r5s come out 6 core 12 thread (maybe better gaming performance with fixed WS bug and higher clock speeds, more room to OC) and MUCH better performance outside of gaming then a 4 core no HT CPU for the same price.... so unless intel adds HT to the i5 there is ZERO reason to buy one once the r5s come out

55 minutes ago, juri-han said:

what happens when the r5s come out 6 core 12 thread (maybe better gaming performance with fixed WS bug and higher clock speeds, more room to OC) and MUCH better performance outside of gaming then a 4 core no HT CPU for the same price.... so unless intel adds HT to the i5 there is ZERO reason to buy one once the r5s come out

when R5s ship, then we'll talk

the discussion is about what's right now available

28 minutes ago, zMeul said:

when R5s ship, then we'll talk

the discussion is about what's right now available

you said "why not buy a i5" the r5 come out a few months so i think its kinda relevant

Just now, juri-han said:

you said "why not buy a i5" the r5 come out a few months so i think its kinda relevant

mate, much logic!?

the R7s have more core than i7 and still are worse at gaming

R5s will have more threads than i5 and with similar IPC .. well then, may I say that they still be worse at gaming :dry:

want to wait?! go ahead

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

mate, much logic!?

R5s will have more threads than i5 and with similar IPC .. well then, may I say that they still be worse at gaming :dry:

want to wait?! go ahead

you admitted that ryzen has i5 performance in games, then linked a video where over half the cores are under 10% and the rest are under 20% its clear there are issues with ryzen ATM

1 minute ago, juri-han said:

you admitted that ryzen has i5 performance in games, then linked a video where over half the cores are under 10% and the rest are under 20% its clear there are issues with ryzen ATM

no shiot there are issues with Ryzen, bu if you think they're gonna be magically fixed ... oh boy xD

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

no shiot there are issues with Ryzen, bu if you think they're gonna be magically fixed ... oh boy xD

i literally said in anther thread " i doubt they will be magically fixed" lmao, a nice 10-15% boost in games and the r5 will be amazing value for gaming being the same price as a i5 7600k..... the r7 on the other hand is not a good gaming cpu no matter what happens 

1 minute ago, juri-han said:

i literally said in anther thread " i doubt they will be magically fixed" lmao, a nice 10-15% boost in games and the r5 will be amazing value for gaming being the same price as a i5 7600k..... the r7 on the other hand is not a good gaming cpu no matter what happens 

keep-calm-and-believe-the-hype.png

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

mate, much logic!?

want to wait?! go ahead

I do expect the R3/R5's to beat/match/come irrelevantly close to the locked Intel SKUs (at a lower price point). And I would gladly buy a 4770k (4c/8t Ryzen~) over a 7600k for what will probably be 30%~ less money (or a 7700k for like half as much).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

how is that buying hype? you gain 10% performance buy turning off SMT and once windows fixes the scheduler bug you will get that alone and if there is any improvement that will put it ahead of an i5 with no HT not to mention two extra cores..... one post you say it has i5 level performance now you wont even admit to that ... whatever dude  

2 minutes ago, juri-han said:

how is that buying hype? you gain 10% performance buy turning off SMT and once windows fixes the scheduler bug you will get that alone and if there is any improvement that will put it ahead of an i5 with no HT not to mention two extra cores..... one post you say it has i5 level performance now you wont even admit to that ... whatever dude  

dum-dum

games are IPC dependent, not number of threads dependent

have you seen the video of ARMA3 I posted 1/2hour ago?

an i5 3570K is cable of delivering better perf than an 8 core / 16 thread CPU - and that's a 5y old Ivy xD

14 minutes ago, zMeul said:

dum-dum

games are IPC dependent, not number of threads dependent

have you seen the video of ARMA3 I posted 1/2hour ago?

an i5 3570K is cable of delivering better perf than an 8 core / 16 thread CPU - and that's a 5y old Ivy xD

maybe you should take a look at the benchmarks people are doing with the 1800x by disabling cores and turning it into a 4/8.... and some how it beats the 7700k lmao

i know i know its wccf but ive seen these posted on other sites this is just the first one i grabbed quick, and about the ARMA3  video didnt you read my post where i said half of the cores in the video you posted were under 10% ...... 

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-4-core-benchmarks-intel-core-i7-7700k/

On 3/4/2017 at 11:26 AM, zMeul said:

@Glenwing + @djdwosk97 + @Imglidinhere  plus the rest ...

I completed the calculation relative to Hawsell, kaby Lake has a 15.24% IPC increase, and with extremes removed has 14.29% IPC increase

like it or not, that's what the data shows; or at least my math xD

Haswell - Broadwell - Skylake - KabyLake

if you take ~5% increase from each generation over, that's what it adds up to

isn't that what it's said, 5% IPC increase with each generation? well ...

I've only read this 1 post on this thread because this is the post I was linked to by you, but Skylake to Kaby Lake is a 0 percent improvement IPC-wise in almost all tasks.  This faulty conclusion on your part throws into doubt the rest of your conclusions -- mostly because you did not provide your math/methodology.  Because those aren't provided, we can't verify that you're correct.  Maybe you have a flaw in calculations.  If you showed us how you reached your conclusions, one of us might catch that flaw, and we could all learn the truth - reliably.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Just now, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

I've only read this 1 post on this thread because this is the post I was linked to by you, but Skylake to Kaby Lake is a 0 percent improvement IPC-wise in almost all tasks.  This faulty conclusion on your part throws into doubt the rest of your conclusions -- mostly because you did not provide your math/methodology.  Because those aren't provided, we can't verify that you're correct.  Maybe you have a flaw in calculations.  If you showed us how you reached your conclusions, one of us might catch that flaw, and we could all learn the truth - reliably.

yes, Sky over Kaby doesn't have a IPC gain, but tech in Kaby does make it faster - specifically the SpeedShift v2; this was covered quite a bit on PCPer , and I think Anand did an article on it also

On 3/10/2017 at 3:56 PM, zMeul said:

mate, much logic!?

The 6950x is slower than the 6700k in gaming.

Mate, much logic!?

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.