How to upgrade back to 8.1(?)

TheGleaner

Is there a way to upgrade back to 8.1 from 10 or is the only way to do this is a clean install? or can i just grab a spare hard drive and swap out my windows 10 drive with that one and be able to use both- like dual booting but i would just have to swap drives when ever i wanted to use 10, or would i run into activation issues there?

That's a downgrade... But you can download it from Microsoft, although it'll ask your for your 8.1 Key

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

considering how 10 runs on my laptop, it would be an upgrade, so where would one find the key on a laptop that got the "free upgrade"?

Click start > then the Settings cog > Updates & Security > Recovery > Go back to an earlier build.

Think you only have so much time to do this though so it might not be available depending on when you upgraded.

already tried that, it force upgraded me way back in the malware popup mess

If the laptop came with 8.1, the key is most likely stored in your BIOS.  You should not need it, but the last time I re-installed 8.1 on my laptop I used ReadWriteEverything to extract the key and wrote it down just to be sure.

Here's how to (if the guide still works, that is) :

https://superuser.com/questions/513904/how-to-extract-win-8-oem-key-embedded-in-the-bios#593795

so, uh, could i just use a separate drive or do i have to wipe my current drive?

1 hour ago, TheGleaner said:

Is there a way to upgrade back to 8.1 from 10 or is the only way to do this is a clean install? or can i just grab a spare hard drive and swap out my windows 10 drive with that one and be able to use both- like dual booting but i would just have to swap drives when ever i wanted to use 10, or would i run into activation issues there?

If your posting a question please adjust your topic with a question mark .... :|

It confuses other new members the intention of your post.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

If the laptop came with 8.1, the key is most likely stored in your BIOS.  You should not need it, but the last time I re-installed 8.1 on my laptop I used ReadWriteEverything to extract the key and wrote it down just to be sure.

Here's how to (if the guide still works, that is) :

https://superuser.com/questions/513904/how-to-extract-win-8-oem-key-embedded-in-the-bios#593795

Thanks that worked! now i just have the question on the drives...