What does RAM even do?

What does RAM do? I know it stands for Random Acces Memory but what does RAM do when transferring files, gaming, and just using your computer in general?

To my knowledge (anybody feel free to correct me) it serves as very very fast storage for the CPU. Information is loaded from your HDD/SSHD/SSD/NVMe drive into RAM which the CPU is then able to access and execute requests based on what you're doing and background processes like the system kernel and OS services. The CPU can process information many times faster than any storage drive so RAM is able to store information and let the CPU access it at such a high speed that it's not bottle-necked.

RAM stores all active in processes.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Windows7ge said:

To my knowledge (anybody feel free to correct me) it serves as very very fast storage for the CPU. Information is loaded from your HDD/SSHD/SSD/NVMe drive into RAM which the CPU is then able to access and execute requests based on what you're doing and background processes like the system kernel and OS services. The CPU can process information many times faster than any storage drive so RAM is able to store information and let the CPU access it at such a high speed that it's not bottle-necked.

Well it isn't very very fast storage. That's would be the cache.

Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Way faster than SSD or HDD

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

What's the cache?

3 minutes ago, BloodyWaters said:

Way faster than SSD or HDD

True, but it isn't the fastest memory the CPU can access.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Howes said:

What's the cache?

Small amounts of memory that are used to store recently/frequently used processes. It's faster than RAM.

Pascal laptops guide

20 minutes ago, Chuck Howes said:

What does RAM do? I know it stands for Random Acces Memory but what does RAM do when transferring files, gaming, and just using your computer in general?

It helps to understand the memory hierarchy of modern computer systems. The hierarchy is for describing some memory's responsibility in holding data and instructions a computer needs in order to complete its task in order of urgency. So the following list describes this hierarchy.

1. Registers:
    • Tiny amounts of memory (typically in the bytes) that holds what the CPU is doing at the exact moment. Access time is essentially 1 clock cycle.
    • If you were taking a math test, you can think of this as the short term memory that's helping you work on the current problem.
  2. Cache:
    • Small amounts of memory (typically in the kilobytes) that holds stuff the CPU uses frequently or often. Access time is typically 10s to 100s of clock cycles, depending on the cache's level. (L1 cache is the fastest, L2 cache is slower, etc.).
    • Normally if something is not in registers, it's supposed to be in main memory. Since main memory is much slower than registers to access, cache is placed in the middle to speed up the process. The more you access the same instructions or data, the closer it approaches cache speed
    • Using the math test example, you can think of this as the formulas you've readily memorized.
  3. Main memory:
    • This is what people refer to as RAM. Large amounts of memory (in the gigabytes). This holds stuff the CPU will need in the near term for the application its running, but is not needed right away. Access time is typically in the 100s of clock cycles
    • Using the math test example, this could be your notes, assuming this is an open-note test.
  4. Secondary memory:
    • This is storage, like hard drives. This is meant for permanent storage so you can launch an application again later or get data for that application later.
    • Using the math test example, this is your textbook.

RAM is not used in transferring files, because the CPU tells the storage drives to move files around and the storage drive takes care of it on its own.

14 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Well you're right the very small amount of CPU cache is even faster like L3. then L2 is even faster, then L1 is even faster with much much smaller quantities as you go down but comparing a RAM Disk to a 7200RPM HDD getting around 150~175MB/s vs RAM Disk @ 8,000MB/s+ I'd say RAM is very much faster.

17 minutes ago, BloodyWaters said:

It holds instructions for the CPU. 

Not necessarily, if the ram is full the cpu migjt habe to request data from the ssd, hdd,etc.

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

17 minutes ago, Chuck Howes said:

What's the cache?

Cache is the fastest memory and is integrated within the cpu die.

And on the first day god said: "Cue one GO" And there was light!

If I'm not mistaken Linus worded it something like this:

Imagine it like a worker's tools:

The CPU's cache is the tool in his hand, 

The RAM is the tools in his belt,

The SSD is the toolbox in his truck.