I must enter W10 safe mode, but i cannot!

VerticalDiscussions

Hey there everyone. So my main computer with W10 is toast, dont know why since i am unable to access it (the account login menu is a black screen with infinite loading white icon). I have a W10 recovery DVD for events where i absolutely had to rely on physical factors to enter and i followed this video:

I did every single step in that video and i have tried it three times already (checked the priority, used the correct command in C: mode, restarded and repeatedly pressed F8) but the god damn thing doesnt show me anything like his, only the "select boot device" menu, because Asus decided it would be an awesome idea to have the F8 for that purpose apparently. I have checked my mobo manual, nothing is told there.

Coincidentally, Asus "Windows 10 - How to enter Safe Mode if I can't boot the system successfully?" page doesnt exist and im starting to get quite worried since i have important documents i cannot retrieve to my backup drive and reinstall W10. https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1013018/, if you want to see it for yourselves.

Anyone knows what i should do :/? Which key would replace the F8 on an Asus Z-87 Deluxe, if such is even possible? Thanks, getting desperate around here.

Groomlake Authority

Can you get into your login in screen?

If yes, hold down shift and click on the power button and select restart. After it restarts, then let go of shift key.

Don't work?

when your system is booting that spinning dots, physically force power off your PC. Do this a few times. Then your windows will go into repair mode. Inside, you can select boot options where it will let you select safe mode.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

just for peace of mind , your data is probably not lost as your harddisk can be transferred to another PC as a secondary drive and important files can be read/copied off ...

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

-snip-

Its not exactly, but think of this without the cursor and white orbs floating around in a circle :/. No wallpaper or login screen reached.

main-qimg-84b12e4e912a197ca3065d034548e2cb-c (400×204)

Groomlake Authority

Use the Shift + Restart combination. Another way of getting into Safe Mode in Windows 10 is to use the Shift + Restart combination. Open the Start menu and click or tap on the Power button. Then, while keeping the Shift key pressed, click or tap on Restart.

1 minute ago, jools said:

-snip-

I would certainly hope so, after all it was in the main boot drive :(. But that will implicate that ill have to get that thing out and i dont have any extra motherboard to test recovery.

Groomlake Authority

F8 doesn't work. 

Let the computer boot and when the windows logo shows restart it. Might have to try a few times. 

It'll then scan and repair drive (lol) ....then the recover options screen shows up, hit up advanced and somewhere there it'll show options for next boot. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

-snip-

That sounds like an interesting idea, that might just work. Will try!

Btw, what happens if it says "failed to repair"? Is that a RIP?

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

Its not exactly, but think of this without the cursor and white orbs floating around in a circle :/. No wallpaper or login screen reached.

main-qimg-84b12e4e912a197ca3065d034548e2cb-c (400×204)

I see, okay now try this method

When your system is booting, when you see spinning dots. physically power off your computer. Do this a few times and then windows will go into repair mode. Inside that, select advanced options and you'll have more boot options that includes safemode.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

I would certainly hope so, after all it was in the main boot drive :(. But that will implicate that ill have to get that thing out and i dont have any extra motherboard to test recovery.

a friend with a PC....secondary drive(your drive)

Okay will try the "kill my pc fast or else you die" method in a sec.

Groomlake Authority

That sounds like an interesting idea, that might just work. Will try!

Btw, what happens if it says "failed to repair"? Is that a RIP?

ignore the failed to repair. Just see if safe mode works. Happens for me even though my SSD is just fine and dandy. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

do you have a laptop? or any other computer that still works ?

if you do, you could use a USB to SATA adapter to get the important files off your harddrive ...

try to get safemode first before trying ur HDD/ssd in another pc as secondary drive NOT primary boot drive

I tried turning it off when at this point:

maxresdefault.jpg (1920×1080)

After restarting it, it didnt go into repair mode or anything, it just went onward and is stuck at that black white dot loading,,,,, wtf!!

Groomlake Authority

3 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Okay will try the "kill my pc fast or else you die" method in a sec.

After forcing your system off a few times. It will take a bit longer for the "repair message" to appear, so don't turn it off too quick.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Well the remove the disk to recover information method is starting to look like the only option uh -.-?

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

-snip-

You mean i have to keep restarting and killing it when the Windows logo appear, like a lot?

Groomlake Authority

3 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

You mean i have to keep restarting and killing it when the Windows logo appear, like a lot?

Yes, do that a few times and windows will enter repair mode.

Holding the power switch might take too long, quicker way is the flip the psu switch on the back for the instant lost of power. Repeat this a few times and it will enter repair mode.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

-snip-

Alright then. Damnit, i feel so bad that im making my computer restarting so many times, i believe it has been around 8 or 10 thus far and i really hope something wont get screwd :/.

Groomlake Authority

Alright then. Damnit, i feel so bad that im making my computer restarting so many times, i believe it has been around 8 or 10 thus far and i really hope something wont get screwd :/.

It's screwed anyway, so it doesn't matter at this point.

Is it working?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It's screwed anyway, so it doesn't matter at this point.

Is it working?

It is at last showing automatic repairs. Wwill update after i try to boot into safe mode.

Groomlake Authority

So i entered into safe mode and now for some reason, it isnt actually entering into safe mode, since there is a black screen with no loading log or anything.... well, should i let it sit for 10 minutes or something :(?

Groomlake Authority

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

-snip-

:/, its still a black screen and it is still stuck, not loading or anything of the sort too.

Groomlake Authority

17 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

:/, its still a black screen and it is still stuck, not loading or anything of the sort too.

Then your OS is more screwed than originally thought. Boot from win10 disc and restore to a date before the problem happened.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!