I need an advice about OS

Go to solution Solved by CoffeeandBagels,
Just now, DaemonWarrior44 said:

I want to play new AAA games, like Grand Theft Auto or Battlefield, that kinda stuff.
So, do you recommend me to buy Windows? It's very expensive in my country ($175 USD), about a third of the main cost.

Go with windows. Those particualar titles are not available on linux. But for the love of goodness, reasearch getting an OEM key. You can get windows MUCH cheaper than the retail price. I got Windows 7 for 20 bucks. works great for gaming.

Well, my PC budget is pretty tight, so here's the question: Should I buy Windows or download Linux?
And if you say Linux, which one should I choose? Because I read that there are a lot of different Linux OS, like Ubuntu.
My PC is gaming-oriented.

Since your pc is gaming oriented, you'll probably want windows. You could use unactivated windows 10 for awhile while you save up for a key, the only difference is the watermark, you still get the full os.

i9-11900K @ 5.1ghz;   RTX 3090 FE @ 2ghz;   ROG Maximus XII Hero;   4266mhz G.Skill 16GB DDR4;

I just uninstalled ubuntu from my PC and i gotta tell You, I went through hell to get steam running . It's a lot easier to just grab windows and have everything running, but if You have a lot of spare time for reading manuals, then i recommend. Linux gives You more control over the PC than windows.

I started with Linux Mint Cinnimon and installed windows 7 about 6 months down the road. It really depends on what you play. If I was still in my CS:GO phase, I could have stayed on Linux exclusivly and it would have been fine. I only felt the need to switch to open up the backlog in my Steam collection.

Just now, Bidon said:

I just uninstalled ubuntu from my PC and i gotta tell You, I went through hell to get steam running . It's a lot easier to just grab windows and have everything running, but if You have a lot of spare time for reading manuals, then i recommend. Linux gives You more control over the PC than windows.

Sorry for the double post, Can you explain exactly what trouble you had? When I did Linux Mint, I just nabbed Steam from the repository, then when I logged in, Steam auto-updated and it was fine. I was up and running in about 5 minutes. 

Just curious. 

Just now, CoffeeandBagels said:

Sorry for the double post, Can you explain exactly what trouble you had? When I did Linux Mint, I just nabbed Steam from the repository, then when I logged in, Steam auto-updated and it was fine. I was up and running in about 5 minutes. 

Just curious. 

At first i could'nt get wine to download ("couldn't fix packages), when i dealt with that, i had to symlink the steam directory to wine, and when i did that i had to manually disable debugging of wine and after all of that i had to figure out why my headphones where working, but there was no audio. Since i never had linux in my hands before, it took me a long time to get everything to work.

Just now, Bidon said:

At first i could'nt get wine to download ("couldn't fix packages), when i dealt with that, i had to symlink the steam directory to wine, and when i did that i had to manually disable debugging of wine and after all of that i had to figure out why my headphones where working, but there was no audio. Since i never had linux in my hands before, it took me a long time to get everything to work.

Ahh yeah that makes sence. I went with a native Linux Steam install, then installed Wine along side it later on. So I had two compleat seperate versions of Steam when all was said and done.

4 minutes ago, CoffeeandBagels said:

I started with Linux Mint Cinnimon and installed windows 7 about 6 months down the road. It really depends on what you play. If I was still in my CS:GO phase, I could have stayed on Linux exclusivly and it would have been fine. I only felt the need to switch to open up the backlog in my Steam collection.

I want to play new AAA games, like Grand Theft Auto or Battlefield, that kinda stuff.
So, do you recommend me to buy Windows? It's very expensive in my country ($175 USD), about a third of the main cost.

Just now, DaemonWarrior44 said:

Go with windows. Those particualar titles are not available on linux. But for the love of goodness, reasearch getting an OEM key. You can get windows MUCH cheaper than the retail price. I got Windows 7 for 20 bucks. works great for gaming.

If you have an educational email address, you can get a free copy of Windows through Dreamspark, or whatever Microsoft changed that name to.

If you literally won't do anything else, you could always Steam Box the hell out of it.

Also, if you've HD another PC, you could always take the key off of it and put it on this one.

19 minutes ago, CoffeeandBagels said:

sudo bash

Enter password

sudo apt-get install steam

Y

Steam

Struggling to see what's so hard about that?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

sudo bash

Enter password

sudo apt-get install steam

Y

Steam

Struggling to see what's so hard about that?

I had zero issues getting Steam to run on linux. Its looking more like OP is going to run into compatability issues. The particular games he noted, Battlefield, GTA, do not run on Linux and are not supported by Wine. so for those, its Windows or nothing.

12 minutes ago, CoffeeandBagels said:

I've been searching for a Windows OEM Key and I found this: https://www.kinguin.net/product/167685/windows-10-professional-oem-key/
Is it safe?

5 minutes ago, CoffeeandBagels said:

I had zero issues getting Steam to run on linux. Its looking more like OP is going to run into compatability issues. The particular games he noted, Battlefield, GTA, do not run on Linux and are not supported by Wine. so for those, its Windows or nothing.

Sorry dude, I somehow quoted the wrong person, my mistake :)

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

I've been searching for a Windows OEM Key and I found this: https://www.kinguin.net/product/167685/windows-10-professional-oem-key/
Is it safe?

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

Much better than Kinguin IMO.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Reddit.com/r/mssoftwareswap

Much better than Kinguin IMO.

How does that work? I just entered the link and I can only see the names of the products and the prices, do I need to be signed in? Also, Windows 10 Pro is at the same price at Kinguin, what's the difference?

Thanks to all of you, I think I'm gonna buy an OEM Key (Windows 10 Pro).
I didn't expect getting so much attention, Linus was right about saying that it's a very helpful community, thanks...
:D.