Pc Caught Fire....

That_Random_Guy

Not sure if this would go under general or troubleshooting since technically i did and still do have a problem... anyway if its in the wrong erea, my bad.

So... anyway about 2 days ago i was watching youtube and messing around with installing firmware onto a simdash that i was testing and all of a sudden i hear a zzzzpoof noise and my monitors go black. Look down and see a small fire inside my case. Jumped out of my chair and reached behind the pc and flipped the power switch.

So yea... its one of them things that you dont really think about it untill you lose close to if not more then $1000 worth of hardware. Stunk up pretty much the enire house and actually is pretty scary comsidering it was about 11pm. I could have been asleep when it happened. So yea was kinda scary.... kinda hurts even more when your dealing with a rig thats 4-5k to build. And is a rigid loop then you have to deal with the pain of tearing it apart.

So at this point im unsure what shorted whether it was the gpu or the slot on my mobo. I originally thought it could have been a surge or a water leak but ruled that out once i touched the fittings and none were wet at all.

My guess is that it was my msi 980ti since if it would have been mobo it would have killed everything in the system. Least thats what i think.

The only hardware that shorted and cought fire was my top gpu and my mobo. The rest seems fine. Need to memtest my ram to be safe though. Also dealing with warranties.....

Anyway heres some pictures

This is what my rig originally looked like before

Spoiler

20161116_185449.jpg

This is the damage pictures

Spoiler

20170221_220737.jpg20170221_221240.jpg20170222_004847.jpg20170222_023702.jpg20170222_023708.jpg20170222_004813.jpg20170221_221132.jpg20170221_222538.jpg

This was me testing with the x99x killer i got back from warranty a while back and never got to test. Good news.... it works. Been trying to sell that mobo for a while and no luck. Thank god it didnt sale. Yep thats a ghetto mounted 212 evo since i didnt have any bolts that fit...

Spoiler

20170222_062230.jpg

This is my system now.....

Spoiler

20170223_021611.jpg

Honestly dont care about cables since pc will be torn apart again...

But yea. The process of having to tear apart my custom loop and find all the damn bolts that i needed to mount 2 980ti coolers so i could rma. Also left a rad and the pump in there. 

Well the total damage was just the first gpu and the mobo. Ram seems fine but further testing is needed. Kinda scared to leave a pc on now since all this happened. God i hate that cooler with a passion... guess its a good thing it didnt sale either. Sorry guy that was interested im using it for a bit longer.

Anyone have any ideas on what could have caused it..... im thinking either gpu failed or it grounded on the reinforced pci slot. Also havent herd much in terms of warranty. Asrock hasnt replied and msi is like we will look at it.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

holy cannoli

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Man, well it used to look super slick... I envy what it was.

Looks like either the gpu wasn't seated properly or something died on the pcie power circuit, either gpu side or mobo side. Fire is only on the power circuit from mobo to gpu.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

I'm so sorry for your loss and all the extra effort you have to go through regarding such an excellent build...

However I do find it ironic you have a "fatality" board and it was visible in the pictures of the damage xD

Best of luck getting everything back to normal! @That_Random_Guy

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

By the hymen of Olivia Newton John!

2 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

holy cannoli

Thanks for the useful advice. Been there buddy it really sucks. I had a mobo catch fire. Where the damage is, looks like a surge directly from the PCI slot, hard to say if its cause from the mobo or card side. Did you insure the parts?

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

20170222_023702.jpg

Damn, it sure is fatal...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Elerek said:

Man, well it used to look super slick... I envy what it was.

Looks like either gpu wasn't seated properly or something died on the pcie power. Fire is only on the power circuit from mobo to gpu.

Yea i noticed that too. Only on the 12v pins on that pci slot. Weird that it ran fine for like 4 months tho so idk.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Damn, it sure is fatal...

I was going to make that fatality connection.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Thanks for the useful advice. Been there buddy it really sucks. I had a mobo catch fire. Where the damage is, looks like a surge directly from the PCI slot, hard to say if its cause from the mobo or card side. Did you insure the parts?

Yea im not sure either... but if there was a surge then it shoulda killed both cards not just 1. And the cpu. No was no insurance for the pc. Didnt think there was such a thing.

3 minutes ago, That_Random_Guy said:

Yea im not sure either... but if there was a surge then it shoulda killed both cards not just 1. And the cpu. No was no insurance for the pc. Didnt think there was such a thing.

Yeah you can insure everything. Well then most likely it was the GPU and the PCI slot being reinforced may of adsorbed it.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in? But jokes aside that sucks and I feel sorry that happened to you.

2 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Yeah you can insure everything. Well then most likely it was the GPU and the PCI slot being reinforced may of adsorbed it.

I just didnt know you could insure just the pc tho. I figured youd have to have like house insurance for items inside the house. I just hope msi and asrock dont point fingers at each other and not cover the items. Kinda sucks that my pc is down and i cant sale the hardware i was trying to but cant now cause its being used.

11 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

You're Welcome!

The geek himself.

4038169_maxresdefault_jpega7a20d23424d1f4e3dd0c48c741188d6.jpgUntitled.png

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

200_s.gif

That sucks dude. Hope youre able to find the cause of it soon. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Snip

The cx isnt a bad psu. Peoples misconceptions are the problem. The cx psus are decent for what they are. Entry level psus not ment for high end hsrdware. I use it for troubleshooting hardware

1 minute ago, That_Random_Guy said:

The cx isnt a bad psu. Peoples misconceptions are the problem. The cx psus are decent for what they are. Entry level psus not ment for high end hsrdware. I use it for troubleshooting hardware

The green label ones are bad, the grey/black ones are good.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

The green label ones are bad, the grey/black ones are good.

Never had issues with cx and ive had probably 4. Ended up selling them a while back. And no their really not. Their like everyother psu... you over push them and they fail. Use them with regular hardware they were ment for and you wont have issues.

Did you try restarting your system?

In all seriousness, that must suck.  I would be beyond consolable if my 6850K and 1080 rig died.

2 hours ago, That_Random_Guy said:

Never had issues with cx and ive had probably 4. Ended up selling them a while back. And no their really not. Their like everyother psu... you over push them and they fail. Use them with regular hardware they were ment for and you wont have issues.

i had a green label CX go noisy after a few months. I looked it up online and there were enough anecdotal evidence of failure that i wont buy another one

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

If it makes you feel any better, i once bought a dynx psu because i need to tedt something immediately. Damn thing caught fire and blew the entire machine

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX