What is the Best RX 480 Model?

Garrison Marsh
18 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

By what? we are talking about 0.X percentage points in gained performance here. Not worth the extra cash.

See my previous comment. 130mhz difference is not trivial. And if you keep looking you can always find the OC version for a good price. I got mine for $215 after MIR.

Lian-li O11-Dynamic | i7-11700K |  MSI Z590 MAG Tomahawk | 64gb Ripjaws 3200MHz | 1tb Nvme SSD + 6tb HDD RAID | Corsair H115i Cooler | EVGA 850BQ PSU | RTX 3080ti TUF | LG C2 65" & Acer Nitro XV340CK Monitor

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Garrison Marsh said:

I am getting the RX 480 8gb and I've heard the XFX is really good and I've also heard the same about MSI. Which one of these is the best or is there another?

I did not enjoy the ASUS Dual-Fan Radeon Rx 480 4GB OC Edition AMD Gaming Graphics Card with DP 1.4 HDMI 2.0 (DUAL-RX480-O4G) I got from amazon. The fans ran really loudly to run games at 1080p 

Honestly from my research I have found that most closed loop coolers don't do the job better than an air cooler to make it worth the risk. You can get good temps if ou set up your system fans in a configuartion that will mazimize the amount of cool air brought into the system and push out the hot air as effictenly as possible. Its not till you get to custom water coolers (that have that leak risk factor as well) were your really start to see some major improvments in cooling your system. Now for exteme overclocking they use special cooling soultions brining the CPU (or whatever there OCing but usally this is just with CPUs)  down to tempertures close to where they are too cold to work. I know dry ice has been a popular choice, but I am not too sure about liquid nitrogen. I think it has been used a few times but tends to be a bit too cold. Another option for colling is a mineral cooled PC but that has a lot of risk too, as it needs to be kept VERY clean, and maintenance and upgrades are going to be a pain.

2 hours ago, Thread212 said:

How much is the stock voltage? it seems ur clock speed is higher than mine.

Mine reach 1310Mhz stable at 1.15v with default profile. 

Did u increase the power limit?

I am not a fan of overclock to be honest since the default profile already give me enough performance for the games that i play. I am trying to finish RE 7 right now Stable 60fps at max settings.

Yea, I have the power limit maxed out. Default voltage for me is about 1.16 after rounding up. What's the stock clocks for your card though? Mine is 1338 since I have the Black Edition.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 hours ago, Orangeator said:

By what? we are talking about 0.X percentage points in gained performance here. Not worth the extra cash.

The difference in performance is about 15%. That's not little. Think about this. At 1266 MHz, a 480 performs like a 390. At 1430, it's faster than an overclocked 390x at 1150 Mhz.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

5 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Owh maybe thats why.

Since my Strix is the Oc version the stock clock is 1310Mhz with default profile.

The default voltage is 1.15v.

But people complaining about it fails to reach 1310mhz even techpowerup, but mine reach is 1310mhz stable.

Guess i am lucky in this whole silicon lottery..

I wouldn't take most of the reviewers seriously when it comes to that aspect of the reviews. A lot of them barely do anything to power limit and expect miracles. The truth is AMD gimped this chip power wise (and also by bandwidth) to market it as an efficient card. Tech forums, and reddit to an extent, are better resources for what the chips are capable of.

On the note of my card, there is a rumor that black edition GTR cards are binned. I don't know if it's been confirmed though. The Strix has the best PCB components though (although both the GTR and strix components are overkill for the 480), so I don't think you should have a problem reaching similar performance to mine.

5 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Really well if thats true then i'ill just gonna find more info in tech forums. i am sure hell not going back to reddit. that place is uncivilized.

I know and it hasn't been clear whether its really binned or not honestly i am curious though.

Haha agree, its really really nice PCB they use in the strix although its overkill for an Rx 480.

I rarely overclock anything even though i know how to do it.

Actually my brother has already overclock my Strix but i am not there to see it, he says it reach 1400Mhz stable with 1.3v and max the power limit with custom fan curve but it draws more than 200watts from the wall.

I think i am gonna try it will it be safe to crank this GPU with 1.3v seems i cant go more than 1.3 with asus gpu tweak.

Yea, to get more than 1.3v, you need a custom BIOS. 1400 being your max is kinda surprising though. I was able to do that on older drivers and my cramped case with only +36mv.

3 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

So it safe then?  

U were able to reach 1400Mhz using only 1.19 volt with ur GTR?? 

Yea, about. I remember Bang4buckpcgamer on youtube was able to get to 1450 with only +30mv on his Nitro, but I don't know what the stock voltage on his card was. And yea, 1.3 is safe. Go crazy with it xD

3 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Thats impressive, i am jelly..:ph34r:

I'ill try it tomorrow its 2:47am here i think i should sleep..haha thanks Ivan.

No problem. Good night.