What is the Best RX 480 Model?

Garrison Marsh

I am getting the RX 480 8gb and I've heard the XFX is really good and I've also heard the same about MSI. Which one of these is the best or is there another?

I've heard good things about the XFX GTR model. MSI's stuff is always pretty good.

Used to own a Sapphire 290x trixx, so I'd suggest checking them out as well

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

its realy just whatever you like the look of honestly

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

The Asus Rog looks bad ass. So if that is what you mean by "best" then I would suggest that one in the eye candy department.

Edit: It's only $220 on Newegg right now after Mail and Rebate.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Gaming X, Asus Strix and GTR

7 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

The Asus Rog looks bad ass. So if that is what you mean by "best" then I would suggest that one in the eye candy department.

and you get the illuminated backplate logo

which is missing on the strix 1060 lmao

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Okay so I'll probably get the ASUS ROG Strix. Do you know what the difference is between the 8G and the O8G?

20 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

7 minutes ago, Garrison Marsh said:

Okay so I'll probably get the ASUS ROG Strix. Do you know what the difference is between the 8G and the O8G?

Probably base clock speeds. Just get the cheaper one and overclock it yourself.

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

Just get the cheaper one and overclock it yourself.

Okay thanks for the help!

2 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Its overclocked out of the box

I know that there have been times that I have needed to disable the OC on my current card to stop crashing in some games. Will an OC out of the box be able to be turned off if there are any problems?

6 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Its overclocked out of the box.. mine reaching 1310Mhz when gaming at stable 67'c

You got a 480?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

U can change the GPU profiles in the Asus Gpu Tweak software.

There's a 3 profiles OC mode,Gaming mode,silent mode and user mode.

Okay cool. I like the sound of this card

5 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

owh guess i need to update my rig.

Yes my Nepton 240 just leak like a week ago and kills my 1060 so i replace it to Strix Rx 480.

Wow that sucks 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

10 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

owh guess i need to update my rig.

Yes my Nepton 240 just leak like a week ago and kills my 1060 so i replace it to Strix Rx 480.

This is why I don't care for water cooling. Too many points of possible failure. With air, you only have to worry about the fan dying.

9 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

This is why I don't care for water cooling. Too many points of possible failure. With air, you only have to worry about the fan dying.

Yeah, I refuse to even put an AIO unit in my build.  Even the top quality ones have a history of leaking, and I don't want to ruin my entire system.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Even if it has 1000M Shades of RGB? will u able to resist lol

I prefer my shades to be of gray

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

11 hours ago, Thread212 said:

Yes i am having an argument with my brother about this when building my RIG as i never use AIO my entire life except for the customers.

He says there will be a chance of leaking but its very rare to happen and even if it does happen the warranty will cover it for you.

And here i am, the warranty period has expired and its leaking and kills my gpu so now i blame him.

And yes He bought me a new GPU with his money lol.

Now i am having a paranoid with Water cooler.

I use Be quiet pure rock right now.

Wow, Im so sorry to hear that. I think that you had VERY bad luck :/. Thats why I use air cooling too, safer and more simple :D

15 hours ago, Thread212 said:

Yes i am having an argument with my brother about this when building my RIG as i never use AIO my entire life except for the customers.

He says there will be a chance of leaking but its very rare to happen and even if it does happen the warranty will cover it for you.

And here i am, the warranty period has expired and its leaking and kills my gpu so now i blame him.

And yes He bought me a new GPU with his money lol.

Now i am having a paranoid with Water cooler.

I use Be quiet pure rock right now.

So how far have you OCed it?

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

Gpu or Cpu?

GPU

16 hours ago, Garrison Marsh said:

The O8G overclocks a lot better. I've had my hands on both and I take the O8G to 1430mhz, whereas the 8G could barely reach 1300mhz.

Lian-li O11-Dynamic | i7-11700K |  MSI Z590 MAG Tomahawk | 64gb Ripjaws 3200MHz | 1tb Nvme SSD + 6tb HDD RAID | Corsair H115i Cooler | EVGA 850BQ PSU | RTX 3080ti TUF | LG C2 65" & Acer Nitro XV340CK Monitor

Spoiler

16 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Probably base clock speeds. Just get the cheaper one and overclock it yourself.

The O8G overclocks better. Don't make "probably" comments and give people incomplete information.

Lian-li O11-Dynamic | i7-11700K |  MSI Z590 MAG Tomahawk | 64gb Ripjaws 3200MHz | 1tb Nvme SSD + 6tb HDD RAID | Corsair H115i Cooler | EVGA 850BQ PSU | RTX 3080ti TUF | LG C2 65" & Acer Nitro XV340CK Monitor

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, HotDiggityDaffodil said:

The O8G overclocks better. Don't make "probably" comments and give people incomplete information.

By what? we are talking about 0.X percentage points in gained performance here. Not worth the extra cash.

37 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

How bout ur GTR? i heard it has excellent performance,cooling solution and power consumption according to Jayz review.

I've been having ups and downs with it. When I 1st got it, I could OC it to 1440 with my preferred temps and fan speed in mind. I dialed it back to 1400. This was all because, if you recall,I had a define nano s. The GPU fan right above my PSU wasn't getting enough air. Then the relive drivers came and made everyone's OC unstable. 17.2.1 had been pretty for so far, but I haven't didn't much time trying to OC. I did see an improvement though with stock voltage after switching to the define mini c. Previously I only got 1370 with stock voltage. Now I can do 1380. I'll try and make time to fully OC the card.