System to run ~13-14 virtual machines

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

For monitors, it sounds like for work/basic production so something like the IPS spec seems out of the view/scope. 

For that many VMs I would definatley recommend going with some kind of Xeon or two. 

Hey!!

So I'm currently working on a project and need a system that I'll be able to run upwards of 14 ish VMs on! Each VM will be using the internet - nothing too intensive - no gaming or anything like that. If budget is a bit too high may be able to do with 6 or 7 minimum but preferably have the 14 ish on one. 

Budget & location:

Budget is around £1600 ish hopefully including monitors but only if possible. Will be buying in Uk. 

Aim: 

Be able so smoothly run around 13-14 VMs that will all just be running internet browsers with nothing too intensive on them. 

Monitors:

At minimum 2 monitors, but 3 would be preferred  No preference for screen res size etc

Peripherals:

Sorted for peripherals

If if you need any more info feel free to ask but any help is appreciated! :)

1'600 or 16'000?

I don't think you can get what you want for 1600 only.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

1'600 or 16'000?

I don't think you can get what you want for 1600 only.

Well was hoping £1600 heard it should be feasible had one quote already but not too sure 

1 minute ago, datho said:

Wait for ryzen

Well I wanted to order it within the next week as need it asap :(

2 minutes ago, Bradderz_ said:

Well I wanted to order it within the next week as need it asap :(

I'm not VM expert but you would need an x99 mobo and in my opinion 6900k or better.

ryzen will be much cheaper

1 minute ago, Bradderz_ said:

Well was hoping £1600 heard it should be feasible had one quote already but not too sure 

Well for that price you would probbably use some i7 CPU which only have 8 threads. And when you set 1 thread for each VM, you are already in a huge lack of CPU power.

I think you could maybe pull of 4 VMs for that budget.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Obviously sounds like it would be a pretty powerful server. Which OSes in particular are you looking to run? 

1 minute ago, datho said:

I'm not VM expert but you would need an x99 mobo and in my opinion 6900k or better

Motherboard 200€, 6900k 1000€

Not to mention other components + monitors.

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, IAmLamp said:

Obviously sounds like it would be a pretty powerful server. Which OSes in particular are you looking to run? 

No preference really. More familiar with Windows but others are fine as long as each can just run a browser that's about it

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Motherboard 200€, 6900k 1000€

Not to mention other components + monitors.

I agree with you that with that budget he can't achieve 8 VM's. In my opinion Ryzen is your best bet

3 minutes ago, datho said:

I'm not VM expert but you would need an x99 mobo and in my opinion 6900k or better.

ryzen will be much cheaper

Well can't say I'm much of an expert on this actually never really worked with this kind of stuff. I've got one quote that reckon they can do it for about £1600 atm

For monitors, it sounds like for work/basic production so something like the IPS spec seems out of the view/scope. 

For that many VMs I would definatley recommend going with some kind of Xeon or two. 

sounds like you need a second hand dual xeon build. that's about all I can see doing this for ya

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

2 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

sounds like you need a second hand dual xeon build. that's about all I can see doing this for ya

That's what I would be thinking as well, for something new it seems out of the question, but if I'm wrong feel free to correct me. 

1 minute ago, IAmLamp said:

That's what I would be thinking as well, for something new it seems out of the question, but if I'm wrong feel free to correct me. 

What about if I just wanted to do 6 or 7? What kind of stuff would I need for that?

14VMs - you would need one core / VM; you could go with one thread / VM since you say nothing intensive, so HyperThreading can be considered

plus at least 1 CPU core for the base OS

not many CPUs can fit the bill

3 minutes ago, Bradderz_ said:

What about if I just wanted to do 6 or 7? What kind of stuff would I need for that?

Would still recommend a Xeon even for that many. Are you looking for a rackmount or just a standard PC case? 

On another forum I've just been told this could work:

2x Xeon x5680 (£210 w hyper threading for 24 cores)

1x Intel server board S5520HC (£125)

12x 8GB ddr3 ECC £175

12x 16Gb ddr3 £350

and then 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pfPDf8

for new parts

2 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

Would still recommend a Xeon even for that many. Are you looking for a rackmount or just a standard PC case? 

Ideally just in a standard case but always open to suggestions aha

I'm not sure if you would need a graphics card for that many VMs or not, I'm not very well with this material. Hopefully someone else can clear that up a bit. (I'm also interested in seeing/knowing if a dedicated GPU would be necessary)

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

14VMs - you would need one core / VM; you could go with one thread / VM since you say nothing intensive, so HyperThreading can be considered

plus at least 1 CPU core for the base OS

not many CPUs can fit the bill

Thats not how vm's work. Its just anouther process managed by the scheduler, you can run this all on one core if you want.

What's the maximum RAM each application/environment would take up? I'm trying to think either 16, 32, 64, or even 128

2 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

I'm not sure if you would need a graphics card for that many VMs or not, I'm not very well with this material. Hopefully someone else can clear that up a bit. (I'm also interested in seeing/knowing if a dedicated GPU would be necessary)

Most of the time it won't help at all. The virtual gpu for the vm's is done on the cpu.