How to deal with unpleasant ebay seller?

vong

Paypal/Ebay are almost always going to work in the buyers favor. R3 and R5 are identical, but you weren't after an R3. 

Don't forget to leave a bad review detailing how you had to go through ebay to get a refund because she sold you the wrong item and refused to refund your purchase.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

On 2/21/2017 at 8:09 AM, vong said:

So I bought a Fractal Define R5 as it was advertised and received an R3 . Contacted the seller and told them the wrong case was sent. They told me I should just accept it and it's 'practically the same'. I refused and opened up a return case. After some arguing the seller agreed to a return but wouldn't pay for it. I agreed to pay for half of the postage but they refused to send me half so I sent it via COD and the seller has told me they will not accept the return and it will be sent back to me. I've told them that I will not accept it either.

I've done everything I should have. Made contact, initiated a return and they agreed, they refused to pay return postage but I sent it anyway. I still have the receipt and form for the return. Made a dispute with paypal and escalated the situation. 

Who do you guys think is in the right here? The seller was extremely unpleasant about this whole thing and have even gone as far as using my email to sign up for a bunch of spam mail. Anything I can do about that?

Listing one thing and sending you a completely different item is fraudulent and hence a violation of eBays terms of service. Him signing you up for spam emails is harassment. I'd contact customer support to try to get that scumbag black listed. At the very least I'd leave some very nasty feedback. Do you have his email address by any chance? You could always do the same thing back to him. Nothing wrong with a little strike back...

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

Paypal/Ebay are almost always going to work in the buyers favor. R3 and R5 are identical, but you weren't after an R3. 

That's always been my experience as well. Keep in mind that eBay openly promoted scalping of Amiibo when that was a thing, so it's not like they discourage scumbaggery.

9 hours ago, Mooshi said:

I wouldn't quite say they're identical. R5 just has better features, espically the side panel mounting.

7 hours ago, noobadin said:

Don't forget to leave a bad review detailing how you had to go through ebay to get a refund because she sold you the wrong item and refused to refund your purchase.

Oh I plan to. She was so immature about it. I would've just straight up apologised and ask for them to send it back.

7 hours ago, Seamonster420 said:

Listing one thing and sending you a completely different item is fraudulent and hence a violation of eBays terms of service. Him signing you up for spam emails is harassment. I'd contact customer support to try to get that scumbag black listed. At the very least I'd leave some very nasty feedback. Do you have his email address by any chance? You could always do the same thing back to him. Nothing wrong with a little strike back...

Yeah got their email, I did plan to do the same thing to them but I didn't want to provoke them anymore than I already had.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

2 hours ago, vong said:

I wouldn't quite say they're identical. R5 just has better features, espically the side panel mounting.

Oh I plan to. She was so immature about it. I would've just straight up apologised and ask for them to send it back.

Yeah got their email, I did plan to do the same thing to them but I didn't want to provoke them anymore than I already had.

As much as what they did to you was terrible... please.. take the high road. Don't sign their email up to spam or anything like that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Dude, next time just keep a simple, "this item isn't what I ordered, I would like a refund or the correct item please" 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

On 3/1/2017 at 8:18 AM, vong said:

Is it provocation if you're the wronged party? To be honest though there is something to be said for being the "bigger man" as it were.

On 2/21/2017 at 11:44 AM, AshleyAshes said:

Return shipping isn't guaranteed in an eBay deal and for cases that can get expensive. You shoulda negotiated for a partial or whole refund instead of a return.  eBays own policy enforcement would have likely concluded with a refund but I instead you decided to engage in a bizarre COD shipping war for some reason.

Honestly the seller has no grounds. He sold a R5 and sent a R3 it is not the responsibility of the buyer to pay for return shipping for a error on the part of the seller. If the seller refused to pay for return shipping I would open a item not as described claim and keep both the money and the product or force them to fix their own problem I shouldn't be forced to spend my own money to keep a item I didn't pay for.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Honestly the seller has no grounds. He sold a R5 and sent a R3 it is not the responsibility of the buyer to pay for return shipping for a error on the part of the seller. If the seller refused to pay for return shipping I would open a item not as described claim and keep both the money and the product or force them to fix their own problem I shouldn't be forced to spend my own money to keep a item I didn't pay for.

While your sentiments are correct, you're still technically wrong.

There's nothing at all stated in eBay terms of use about forcing sellers to pay for return shipping, regardless of the circumstances (defective, incorrect item, not as described, etc).

With that in mind, eBay usually forces the seller to pay for return shipping, if you open a dispute case and specifically ask for prepaid return shipping.

The point is that the OP didn't go through the proper procedure. He jumped the gun and send it COD, which, is never the right procedure. Even if the seller were forced to pay for return shipping, they would have sent the buyer a prepaid shipping label.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

While your sentiments are correct, you're still technically wrong.

There's nothing at all stated in eBay terms of use about forcing sellers to pay for return shipping, regardless of the circumstances (defective, incorrect item, not as described, etc).

With that in mind, eBay usually forces the seller to pay for return shipping, if you open a dispute case and specifically ask for prepaid return shipping.

The point is that the OP didn't go through the proper procedure. He jumped the gun and send it COD, which, is never the right procedure. Even if the seller were forced to pay for return shipping, they would have sent the buyer a prepaid shipping label.

This is why I only buy from Newegg or Amazon....

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

This is why I only buy from Newegg or Amazon....

True but most people buying from eBay are looking for bargain bin deals and don't want to pay the prices on Newegg or Amazon.

I was actually quite surprised that Newegg (Both US and Canada) provides free return shipping. Well done Newegg!

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

True but most people buying from eBay are looking for bargain bin deals and don't want to pay the prices on Newegg or Amazon.

I was actually quite surprised that Newegg (Both US and Canada) provides free return shipping. Well done Newegg!

Why not just buy used stuff on Amazon though if you want bargain bin items with the A to Z protection. Amazon would have likely refunded your money and let you keep the item. Lol

26 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Why not just buy used stuff on Amazon though if you want bargain bin items with the A to Z protection. Amazon would have likely refunded your money and let you keep the item. Lol

Could do - one possible reason is Amazon, AFAIK, doesn't allow PayPal use at all still, and that's a very popular payment method.

Personally, I try to avoid the Amazon Marketplace as much as possible, as I don't like dealing with 3rd party vendors.

But I'm also patient and thorough when dealing with eBay (Which is rare anyway), and never jump the gun on anything :P

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Could do - one possible reason is Amazon, AFAIK, doesn't allow PayPal use at all still, and that's a very popular payment method.

Personally, I try to avoid the Amazon Marketplace as much as possible, as I don't like dealing with 3rd party vendors.

But I'm also patient and thorough when dealing with eBay (Which is rare anyway), and never jump the gun on anything :P

One buyer called me the asshole for wanting out of a sale because I realized the first pic was a screen cap of someone elses product and the other pic looked the same as the monitor I wanted but had a different serial number on it. XB280CK not XB280HK. He tried to get me to still accept it yet couldnt send me a picture of the actual item 

17 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

One buyer called me the asshole for wanting out of a sale because I realized the first pic was a screen cap of someone elses product and the other pic looked the same as the monitor I wanted but had a different serial number on it. XB280CK not XB280HK. He tried to get me to still accept it yet couldnt send me a picture of the actual item 

I assume you meant seller? People like that make the rest of them look bad.

Fortunately, if they force the issue, eBay would likely side with you, since that's super sketchy. Especially if the item hasn't even been shipped yet or paid for yet.