2 computer setup for streaming.

Hi.

Im new to this with streaming with 2 computers, but i want to try it out since i have 2 computers now. So i need some help from you guys to see if this will be possible and if i need something else.

Ok I have my "gaming" PC and my "streaming" PC.

The gaming PC is a standard PC with 6700K I7, 16 GB ram, x2 SLI 970, 1 Ethernet port on motherboard.

The Streaming PC however is this: Intel Xeon W3520 2.7 Ghz, 12 GB ram DDR3 1300 Mhz, Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB. Only 1 Ethernet port.

Will this PC be strong enough to encode the footage from my gaming PC in 720 60 FPS?

Also do i need a capture card if i only have 1 ethernet port on the gaming PC?

Main thing about this is 2 questions.

1. Will my streaming PC be strong enough? (Do you need more info regarding my streaming PC?)

2. Do i need anything else for this to work (i dont want to spend allot of money on this)

If someone has any good tips/tricks feel free to share. Or guides how to setup since hte youtube guides i found were quite messy and confusing.

Have a nice day!

Br

What is your ethernet speed?

How many cores is there in the streaming pc and how many ghz?

12 minutes ago, Kaffepannan said:

You'd want a PCI-e capture card, the HD 60 pro is about the general recommendation

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-superior-technology-hardware-encoding/dp/B014MQIVPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487577539&sr=8-1&keywords=HD+60+pro

Your streaming PC is pretty weak though, it'll probably fine ish, try streaming with it on it's own or something to test it.

Could always just get the 8c/16t Ryzen chip when it launches at the end of the month though, much simpler solution

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

13 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

What is your ethernet speed?

How many cores is there in the streaming pc and how many ghz?

Ethernet speed 100 Mbs

4 Cores

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You'd want a PCI-e capture card, the HD 60 pro is about the general recommendation

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-superior-technology-hardware-encoding/dp/B014MQIVPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487577539&sr=8-1&keywords=HD+60+pro

Your streaming PC is pretty weak though, it'll probably fine ish, try streaming with it on it's own or something to test it.

Could always just get the 8c/16t Ryzen chip when it launches at the end of the month though, much simpler solution

Yes its not the best PC i know, but since its only encoding and nothing else. Shouldnt it be able to do that even if its "old"?

So i need a capture card to be able to use the streaming PC?

No, then il have to buy a motherboard and a new CPU, thats not in my budget for this.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You need a capture card. That system is fine, but you might as well use nvec on you system.

So the PC should be fine, but i need a capture card for this to work?

22 minutes ago, Kaffepannan said:

Yes its not the best PC i know, but since its only encoding and nothing else. Shouldnt it be able to do that even if its "old"?

So i need a capture card to be able to use the streaming PC?

No, then il have to buy a motherboard and a new CPU, thats not in my budget for this.

You would need a capture card ya, that's like $200 right there, if you sell your secondary PC you're getting pretty close to having the money for a Ryzen CPU + Motherboard, especially if the pricing leaks are true, around $300 for the lower end 8c/16t part

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-full-lineup-pricing-clock-speeds-leaked/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/02/17/massive-new-amd-ryzen-leaks-official-launch-date-prices-and-new-motherboards/#1753ba8d31b0

They seemed to make a big deal for doing streaming, at least in Dota here

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

You would need a capture card ya, that's like $200 right there, if you sell your secondary PC you're getting pretty close to having the money for a Ryzen CPU + Motherboard, especially if the pricing leaks are true, around $300 for the lower end 8c/16t part

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-full-lineup-pricing-clock-speeds-leaked/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/02/17/massive-new-amd-ryzen-leaks-official-launch-date-prices-and-new-motherboards/#1753ba8d31b0

They seemed to make a big deal for doing streaming, at least in Dota here

But i dont want to stream from my gaming PC if thats what you mean. I want to use the old computer to do that work. And i have a I7 6700K in my gaming PC, i dont feel that i want to upgrade it.

3 minutes ago, Kaffepannan said:

But i dont want to stream from my gaming PC if thats what you mean. I want to use the old computer to do that work. And i have a I7 6700K in my gaming PC, i dont feel that i want to upgrade it.

Why not use your gaming pc?

You can stream with nvec with less than a 5% performance cut.

5 minutes ago, Kaffepannan said:

Well sure, but if you get the 8 core 16 thread Ryzen chip, there's pretty much reason to use a secondary PC for streaming anymore, simplifies the entire set up

literally just like having 2 i7s in the same machine

if you just want to do casual streaming you could use Shadowplay, or that ya, you could just use GPU accelerated encoding on your i7 6700K potentially

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not use your gaming pc?

You can stream with nvec with less than a 5% performance cut.

quality and gaming performance. When i play CS:GO as an example, it feels more "spikey" then when not streaming, What i have heard is that that will be gone if you have a second PC that is handling the encoding.

But hey i have never tried this so feel free to talk :P

1 minute ago, Kaffepannan said:

quality and gaming performance. When i play CS:GO as an example, it feels more "spikey" then when not streaming, What i have heard is that that will be gone if you have a second PC that is handling the encoding.

But hey i have never tried this so feel free to talk :P

What are you streaming with? You pc should be able to handle streaming just fine

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you streaming with? You pc should be able to handle streaming just fine

OBS since i want to be able to setup the stream as i want (cant do that in Shadowplay)

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Well sure, but if you get the 8 core 16 thread Ryzen chip, there's pretty much reason to use a secondary PC for streaming anymore, simplifies the entire set up

literally just like having 2 i7s in the same machine

if you just want to do casual streaming you could use Shadowplay, or that ya, you could just use GPU accelerated encoding on your i7 6700K potentially

Yeah but in Shadowplay you cant setup the stream as i want to. Need OBS for that and with OBS i feel its taking to much on my CPU/GPU with the rendering.

2 minutes ago, Kaffepannan said:

Yeah but in Shadowplay you cant setup the stream as i want to. Need OBS for that and with OBS i feel its taking to much on my CPU/GPU with the rendering.

Right, but depending on your desired settings even if you get the capture card the secondary PC might not be able to handle it such as like 1080p 60fps with a web cam and all that, just do some tests on that PC first to see what it can do, but I'd highly suggest just jumping to the Ryzen 8 core if it turns out to be pretty good which it looks like right now

Spoiler

Right, but depending on your desired settings even if you get the capture card the secondary PC might not be able to handle it such as like 1080p 60fps with a web cam and all that, just do some tests on that PC first to see what it can do, but I'd highly suggest just jumping to the Ryzen 8 core if it turns out to be pretty good which it looks like right now

60 FPS and 720p, with webcam, music, game and some text rolling (donations etc) in OBS. Yeah but how can i do tests if i need a capture card without buying it :P ?  Yeah maybe in the future i will buy the AMD Ryzen, but to early to say now since it hasnt been released yet :)

But if i say it like this, My 6700K I7 (OC to 4.4) with a SLI GtX 970, 16 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 840 Samsung SSD, 1000 Mbps networkcard and a "Solid" 30 mbps internet connection ( i will get Fiber 100/100 soon). Will this be able to stream 60 fps 720p with webcam. Games are CS:GO, OW, Dota2, H1Z1 and so on. Will it be better to just use the gaming PC with streaming without FPS drop or stuttering, or is it more worth fixing the "streaming" PC and buy a capture card?

What would you guys do?

And btw, what i have read about this regarding 2 computers and streaming live to Twitch, its possible and easier (what i have understand) now with OBS Studio. And you dont need to use VLC etc to make one computer a streaming computer and the other a gaming computer. You just send the traffic from the gaming PC, to the streaming PC and then it uploads it from there. Maybe sounds more easy then it is, but i think im going with my streaming PC and atleast try with this so i can put away some stress from my Gaming CPU and put it into the other one.

8 hours ago, Kaffepannan said:

60 FPS and 720p, with webcam, music, game and some text rolling (donations etc) in OBS. Yeah but how can i do tests if i need a capture card without buying it :P ?  Yeah maybe in the future i will buy the AMD Ryzen, but to early to say now since it hasnt been released yet :)

For your testing

Record a high bitrate/1080p video with your desired settings, then stream that video clip with all the additional stuff you want, and if your 2nd PC can handle that, it'll probably handle capture card footage, would need to look more into trying to make up a benchmark for testing streaming capabilities.

but in any case, don't spend any money for like 2-3 weeks to see official Ryzen pricing lol

4 hours ago, Kaffepannan said:

And btw, what i have read about this regarding 2 computers and streaming live to Twitch, ....

Not 100% on what you mean there, but if your gaming PC is encoding, it's going to be impacting your fps in any case, the capture card removes the need for any of that work

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Kaffepannan said:

Hi.

Im new to this with streaming with 2 computers, but i want to try it out since i have 2 computers now. So i need some help from you guys to see if this will be possible and if i need something else.

Ok I have my "gaming" PC and my "streaming" PC.

The gaming PC is a standard PC with 6700K I7, 16 GB ram, x2 SLI 970, 1 Ethernet port on motherboard.

The Streaming PC however is this: Intel Xeon W3520 2.7 Ghz, 12 GB ram DDR3 1300 Mhz, Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB. Only 1 Ethernet port.

Will this PC be strong enough to encode the footage from my gaming PC in 720 60 FPS?

Also do i need a capture card if i only have 1 ethernet port on the gaming PC?

Main thing about this is 2 questions.

1. Will my streaming PC be strong enough? (Do you need more info regarding my streaming PC?)

2. Do i need anything else for this to work (i dont want to spend allot of money on this)

If someone has any good tips/tricks feel free to share. Or guides how to setup since hte youtube guides i found were quite messy and confusing.

Have a nice day!

Br

There is a guide out for using Linux on the streaming PC without a capture card. Everything goes over LAN & 2nd PC acts like it's own injest & rebroadcast server. 

That aside, I used to stream on a single 970 just fine. Your SLI setup should blow it away. Just set OBS to NvEnc. 

Worst case, Avermedia have low (relative) cost capture devices, both internal & external. I would use one myself, but I have a 144Hz panel & all their stuff is HDMI-only with no displayport, so no max refresh.