Lower frames when laptop not plugged in

benjamin3033
Go to solution Solved by linesma,
2 minutes ago, benjamin3033 said:

I have an AMD apu do you know how to do it on there?

Sorry for the delay. I am not an AMD person, so I had to ask a friend of mine to look at his laptop that has an AMD GPU. This is what I found. Go to the Radeon software and click on "Display". Then click on the "More Options" button. It will open up another settings window. In this Window, there is an option called "Power" with a subsection calles "Power Play". There you should be able to adjust your settings. I hope this helps.

BTW, if you are still using the Catalyst Control Center, there is a tab in there for power management as well. That is where you can adjust the needed settings.

I hope this helps!

laptops go into a separate power state when not plugged in to save battery life. This can result in less performance.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

1 minute ago, Ostwind said:

laptops go into a separate power state when not plugged in to save battery life. This can result in less performance.

Is there any way I can turn this off?

4 minutes ago, benjamin3033 said:

When playing minecraft my frames are doubled when I am plugged in.

Your graphics card is entering a power save mode that lowers its frame rates. You can go into your graphics card's properties, such as nVidia's control panel, and adjust its power saving mode. It is usually on a separate tab.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche

i'm assuming your PC is running some form of Windows (7,8,8.1,10). It's entering power saver mode immediately when you unplug it. To resolve this, look up "Power Options" in the Start Menu and you'll see the list of states and rules you can set for when you unplug the laptop from the charger. This should fix the issue.

4 minutes ago, benjamin3033 said:

Is there any way I can turn this off?

you can go into the powershell settings in windows and change how the laptop will run on battery, if you have a dedicated gpu you can also go into the control panel for said gpu and adjust the power saving settings. though you might not be able to regain full plugged in performance while on battery as there could be some power settings that are locked away in the bios that you cant change. Ive had that be the case before on some laptops that ive owned.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

2 minutes ago, linesma said:

Your graphics card is entering a power save mode that lowers its frame rates. You can go into your graphics card's properties, such as nVidia's control panel, and adjust its power saving mode. It is usually on a separate tab.

Some laptop is just not able to run on full speed with battery only thus the throttling. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Some laptop is just not able to run on full speed with battery only thus the throttling. 

Darn, ok

2 minutes ago, benjamin3033 said:

Sorry for the delay. I am not an AMD person, so I had to ask a friend of mine to look at his laptop that has an AMD GPU. This is what I found. Go to the Radeon software and click on "Display". Then click on the "More Options" button. It will open up another settings window. In this Window, there is an option called "Power" with a subsection calles "Power Play". There you should be able to adjust your settings. I hope this helps.

BTW, if you are still using the Catalyst Control Center, there is a tab in there for power management as well. That is where you can adjust the needed settings.

I hope this helps!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche

2 minutes ago, linesma said:

I hope this helps!

Thanks

1 minute ago, benjamin3033 said:

Thanks

NP, here is a video about it that Linus did on the Radeon Software that he did for NCIX Tech tips. It gives a good overview of said software. Radeon Settings: Crimson Edition Overview