Budget Semi-Modular / Modular PSU

Hi everyone. I was wondering if you can suggest some good, reliable, 80+ gold power supplies, semi-modular or modular. Around 550W would be nice. Or lower, these are the specs that i have :

- CPU : Intel Core i7 6700k

- CPU Cooler : Hyper 212 Evo

- Video Card : AMD R9 280OC (250W TDP on the techpowerup site, the only one where i've found the TDP for this card)

- 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM @ 3000MHz

- Motherboard : ASUS Z170-a

Thanks!

EVGA 550W G2. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

3 minutes ago, drax_mafra said:

Hi everyone. I was wondering if you can suggest some good, reliable, 80+ gold power supplies, semi-modular or modular. Around 550W would be nice. Or lower, these are the specs that i have :

- CPU : Intel Core i7 6700k

- CPU Cooler : Hyper 212 Evo

- Video Card : AMD R9 280OC (250W TDP on the techpowerup site, the only one where i've found the TDP for this card)

- 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM @ 3000MHz

- Motherboard : ASUS Z170-a

Thanks!

I don't have a specific one in mind, but find something that everyone's bought but i would go 600W or higher, to allow for more expansion room

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

3 minutes ago, liamdoyle27 said:

I don't have a specific one in mind, but find something that everyone's bought but i would go 600W or higher, to allow for more expansion room

corsair PSU's in my experience are pretty useful

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

1 minute ago, liamdoyle27 said:

You need to educate yourself about power supplies. There's probably a bad Corsair power supply for every good one.

Never trust a brand. Always review the model.

2 minutes ago, liamdoyle27 said:

I have a CX750, but it started to make strange noises. Coil whine, people said, and it also that its not dangerous, but i just don`t want to use it anymore.

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

You need to educate yourself about power supplies. There's probably a bad Corsair power supply for every good one.

Never trust a brand. Always review the model.

true enough, but thats been my experience.

Bow down to me humans.

CXM is very nice. 

EVGA PSUs are good but their support outside of NA is shite. 

I'd say a modular Seasonic S12II. 

idk

8 minutes ago, liamdoyle27 said:

Yeah, good for you. But that's basically like answering "In my experience Volvo cars are good" to someone asking for a good car, it might be true but some still are shit.

OP, look up the tier list. Everything on Tier 1-3 are okay, preferably Tier 1.

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

Yeah, good for you. But that's basically like answering "In my experience Volvo cars are good" to someone asking for a good car, it might be true but some still are shit.

OP, look up the tier list. Everything on Tier 1-3 are okay, preferably Tier 1.

i admit defeat :) 

But yeah true enough, it's personal preference 

Bow down to me humans.

11 minutes ago, drax_mafra said:

I have a CX750, but it started to make strange noises. Coil whine, people said, and it also that its not dangerous, but i just don`t want to use it anymore.

Yeah the green labeled CX's are shit for gaming.

A good upgrade for that can be the GREY labeled CXM Corsair series, they're newer and better.

Aside for that my experience with the EVGA G2 series are great, 550w would do you just fine.

1 minute ago, liamdoyle27 said:

i admit defeat :) 

Want to add that I didn't mean to offend you, just clearing things up! :) 

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

Want to add that I didn't mean to offend you, just clearing things up! :) 

I know :) 

thanks for the small turf war. it was fun :)

Bow down to me humans.

24 minutes ago, liamdoyle27 said:

12 minutes ago, liamdoyle27 said:

10 minutes ago, liamdoyle27 said:

I know :) 

thanks for the small turf war. it was fun :)

Still false equivalency. Have you had personal experience with multiple power supplies in every series Corsair has produced? Until that's the extent of your personal experience, you can't claim an entire brand is trustworthy. The only time you're going to see anyone talking about a brand like that is when it comes to SeaSonic, who have never made a bad power supply. Corsair currently makes some of the best power supplies in the industry, like their AX/AXi or RMi/RMx series'. They also made some of the worst, like the abhorrent VS series and the old 'Green' CX and CXM units that were only rated to handle temperatures below 30 celsius at load.

EVGA makes some great power supplies, but they also make an unrated 400w unit that I believe is the worst thing on the market from a big brand. The only competition for that bottom spot is the Thermaltake TR2 series, or the crap Cooler Master makes for the Asian market ('Elite Power' or something).

Debate is not a turf war- it's an opportunity for learning.

Just now, Aereldor said:

SeaSonic, who have never made a bad power supply. 

XFX XT... 

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

XFX XT... 

That's not a SeaSonic series. You might as well count the 'Hydrance by SeaSonic' stuff, which isn't fair to do (details in thread). They're both made by a sketchy OEM manufacturer in China somewhere. I started a thread about this a year ago-

In short, there's a reason we don't count them in SeaSonic's lineup. However, XFX put them up as one of their own lines, which is why they aren't absolved of this.

7 hours ago, WindowsXP16 said:

And its only $90 in Newegg

Well, i live in Romania, and Newegg doesn't exist nor ship here. So i have to find the PSUs that you guys are telling me here at the computer stores that we have... And trust me, the prices... They don't coincide at all.

2 minutes ago, drax_mafra said:

Well, i live in Romania, and Newegg doesn't exist nor ship here. So i have to find the PSUs that you guys are telling me here at the computer stores that we have... And trust me, the prices... They don't coincide at all.

I actually didn't get my PSU at Newegg I just used it as reference for the price. Just look around and find one that rated as continuous watts NOT peak wattage then you should be good.

20 hours ago, Droidbot said:

I'd say a modular Seasonic S12II. 

Why?
Why are those units so hyped? 

The S12-II Bronze unit are pretty low end and not that good. And 750/850W isn't needed here at all...

http://en.gecid.com/power/seasonic_m12ii-520_bronze_evo_edition_ss-520gm2_2015/

Here something about the S12-II Bronze Evo in 520W...

Tiny heatsinks, rather loud, a rather bad protection chip - makes no sense to reccomend this unit...

An pls don't mention the caps. That does NOT make a PSU good/decent!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

20 hours ago, Aereldor said:

The only time you're going to see anyone talking about a brand like that is when it comes to SeaSonic, who have never made a bad power supply. 

It would be nice, if you would stick to the facts...

If Seasonic has made bad Power Supplys depends on your definition of bad. The G-Series for example is/was pretty darn loud at around 250-300W primary load - for no real reason...

The rule of the thumb is:
Seasonic can't do cheap units well -> the more expansive, the better they get

And the cheaper, the worst they get...

So X/P series as well as Prime are awesome and some great series.

The S12-II Bronze not so much. The G-Series is somewhere inbetween, although it depends if they did something about the fan curve or not. If they did (like the G-550 in the PCGH edition) they are absolutely fine. If not not soo much...

Oh and they don't do protection that well on the lower end units as well. Most low class Seasonics have a rather bad HY-510N inside wich does NOT support OCP anywhere...

and just Japanese caps don't make a good PSU at all!

It's just one part of many inside a PSU. If a PSU is loud as hell and has a shitty protection IC, it's NOT a good PSU!

If a PSU has some caps that were lying around, good voltage regulation, good protection IC and isn't that loud, that makes a decent to OKish PSU...

And as stated by [url=http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=135080&postcount=10]Jonnyguru himself[/url] stated, there are much more important things than the caps. Especially since our 'knowledge' about caps is rather outdated!
We don't know wich modern caps are good we only know witch ones from 5 Years ago and older weren't that good - but we don't know why the caps failed!

Due to excessive heat?
Due to excessive ripple current? 

No one knows, just that they failed and that one can see them fail. That does NOT mean that the capacitor was at fault at all!

For that we need to know more than 'oh, it bulged'...

6 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why?
Why are those units so hyped? 

The S12-II Bronze unit are pretty low end and not that good. And 750/850W isn't needed here at all...

http://en.gecid.com/power/seasonic_m12ii-520_bronze_evo_edition_ss-520gm2_2015/

Here something about the S12-II Bronze Evo in 520W...

Tiny heatsinks, rather loud, a rather bad protection chip - makes no sense to reccomend this unit...

An pls don't mention the caps. That does NOT make a PSU good/decent!

Budget Semi Modular PSU

That review says it's good for price/performance. 

S12II EVO 520w got a very good review from Jonnyguru here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=185

I've pushed mine to the edge with a 4670k and a 1070, and I don't notice it that much. 

idk

8 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Budget Semi Modular PSU

That review says it's good for price/performance. 

S12II EVO 520w got a very good review from Jonnyguru here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=185

I've pushed mine to the edge with a 4670k and a 1070, and I don't notice it that much. 

Sat, Apr-10-2010

Almost 7 years ago...

Do you think that in the last 7 years there could have been some things that could make this PSU not that great? And they don't test noise at all...

And have you ever used a kill-a-watt or similar device to measure the consumption of your rig? With what you've told so far, a 350W would be fine for that one...

And why did you ignore the link I included in my posting?!

The 520W one revs up at about 150W...

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Sat, Apr-10-2010

Almost 7 years ago...

Do you think that in the last 7 years there could have been some things that could make this PSU not that great? And they don't test noise at all...

And have you ever used a kill-a-watt or similar device to measure the consumption of your rig? With what you've told so far, a 350W would be fine for that one...

Overclocked, and I can't really since it's connected to a powerboard under my desk in a tray. 

http://en.gecid.com/power/seasonic_s12ii-520_bronze_ss-520gb_2015/?s=1

This is from later, and it shows that not much has changed. They've updated the design since the Jonnyguru review afaik. 

idk

16 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

If Seasonic has made bad Power Supplys depends on your definition of bad. The G-Series for example is/was pretty darn loud at around 250-300W primary load - for no real reason...

The rule of the thumb is:
Seasonic can't do cheap units well -> the more expansive, the better they get

And the cheaper, the worst they get...

So X/P series as well as Prime are awesome and some great series.

The S12-II Bronze not so much. The G-Series is somewhere inbetween, although it depends if they did something about the fan curve or not. If they did (like the G-550 in the PCGH edition) they are absolutely fine. If not not soo much...

Oh and they don't do protection that well on the lower end units as well. Most low class Seasonics have a rather bad HY-510N inside wich does NOT support OCP anywhere...

and just Japanese caps don't make a good PSU at all!

It's just one part of many inside a PSU. If a PSU is loud as hell and has a shitty protection IC, it's NOT a good PSU!

If a PSU has some caps that were lying around, good voltage regulation, good protection IC and isn't that loud, that makes a decent to OKish PSU...

And as stated by [url=http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=135080&postcount=10]Jonnyguru himself[/url] stated, there are much more important things than the caps. Especially since our 'knowledge' about caps is rather outdated!
We don't know wich modern caps are good we only know witch ones from 5 Years ago and older weren't that good - but we don't know why the caps failed!

Due to excessive heat?
Due to excessive ripple current? 

No one knows, just that they failed and that one can see them fail. That does NOT mean that the capacitor was at fault at all!

For that we need to know more than 'oh, it bulged'...

Yes, you dunce, of course the S12ii and G series won't compete with the X and Prime series, that's why they're priced miles apart.

If you want to bring JonnyGuru into it, here are reviews for low-end SeaSonic units.

S12II 520

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=185

Scores

Performance- 9.5

Functionality- 9.5

Value- 10

Aesthetics- 10

Total Score- 9.7

G 550

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=323

Scores

Performance- 10

Functionality- 9

Value- 10

Build Quality- 9

Total Score- 9.6

SS-300TFX 300W (the TFX version of their cheap grey 300-350 watt PSUs)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=190

Scores

Performance- 9

Functionality- 8

Value- 10

Aesthetics- 4

Total Score- 8.5

Here's an idea for you-

16 hours ago, Stefan Payne said: