Thinking About Upgrading

Maihym

*I think maybe your links are the wrong way around*

I dont see a reason to upgrade imo. 4790k is still a good cpu.

If anything get a new mouse and keyboard, or 1440 monitor.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Its not worth upgrading from 4790k to 7700k, especially if thats the only thing thats changing (mob and ram included). 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

*I think maybe your links are the wrong way around*

I dont see a reason to upgrade imo. 4790k is still a good cpu.

If anything get a new mouse and keyboard, or 1440 monitor.

Yeah my bad, the links are switched. I agree it's a good cpu but it was just a thought.

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Its not worth upgrading from 4790k to 7700k, especially if thats the only thing thats changing (mob and ram included). 

completely agree, still not a big difference from 4790k to 7700k wait for ryzen.

8700k/1070ti/16gb ram

Maybe wait for Ryzen, their octacores are looking more and more atractive every day.

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

13 minutes ago, Maihym said:

So I was thinking about upgrading the other night and this is what I came up with wanting to upgrade to (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yvLjbj)

I want to sell my old parts to help pay for the new ones so how much do you guys think I'll get for them? Here's my current part list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9HtWjc

#Ryzen

TBH I dont even think theres going to be a reason to want to upgrade from a 4790k to ryzen either. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

TBH I dont even think theres going to be a reason to want to upgrade from a 4790k to ryzen either. 

Why not?

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

4 minutes ago, ElZamo92 said:

Why not?

From a 4790k to a R1800x, you're doubling the cores and threads yes, but I seriously doubt it's going to make a huge difference in 90% of games. Now if he was starting from scratch, or had a sandy bridge CPU then I'd say yes they upgrade to a 7700k would be worth it, and then the #Wait4Ryzen posts would make more sense to me. But if OP has video rendering or multi-threaded workloads theyre doing with the cpu, then that would also validate waiting for Ryzen, hwever that would the case of "Ryzen or dont upgrade"

1 hour ago, ElZamo92 said:

Maybe wait for Ryzen, their octacores are looking more and more atractive every day.

The top Ryzen CPU barely beat the top Intel CPU in AMD's own test, which was almost certainly written in their favor. They've got 8 cores, but they run at very low frequencies. It kind of levels it out.  Ryzen is a big step for AMD, but not for CPU's in general. 

Ryzen is probably a much better deal than what Intel has, but the 4790K is still one of the most powerful consumer CPU's on the market. I got a new one two months ago. There's no reason to drop several hundred dollars on an upgrade.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440